“Wonderful place for lunch”
Review of Cafe' Burnside

Cafe' Burnside
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Darrow
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Café Burnside is Houmas House Plantation and Gardens' casual restaurant. We offer a buffet, or a la carte dining. Pasta, Seafood, BBQ Chicken, Gumbo, Salad, Poor Boy Sandwiches. Great food reasonably priced. We offer a Sunday Brunch and Buffet. A special menu on Sundays that changes frequently
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Absolutely the best food we've had in our stay in New Orleans! Great service, wonderful ambience made for a delightful lunch experience after our wonderful tour of the beautiful Houmas House. Our server, Josephine, was wonderful!

1  Thank dgilbreth70

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We had lunch at Cafe Burnside, located at the Houmas House plantation. We chose a crawfish salad and bourbon shrimp. The crawfish tails were deep-fried and light and crispy, and the bourbon shrimp had a very nice glaze on them, accompanied by potatoes and peas. The restaurant is light and airy, and service was prompt and efficient. Don't miss the opportunity to try this place for lunch. It was just the right thing to do before touring the plantation.

1  Thank dwilhelms
Reviewed September 21, 2012

While on business in the area, a friend took me to Houmas House for lunch. We didn't have time to tour the plantation, but had a nice walk through the gardens while walking from the parking lot to the restaurant. He recommended the Catfish Wade Hampton. It's a catfish filet breaded with cornmeal and fried. It's served over an andouille rice pilaf with a cup of crawfish etoufee served on the side (to be poured over the catfish). I thoroughly enjoyed lunch and would recommend the restaurant to anyone in the area.

1  Thank Dave F
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stopped to tour Houmas House and to eat in the cafe. As for atmosphere, it is fine, but I was disappointed that it didn't really overlook the gardens and fountain as advertised. Now if I walked over and looked out the window I could see the gardens, but you didn't exactly get a great view from any of the tables. But it was pleasant, and there were some interesting antiques in the place.

But the 5 stars are for the food. When I arrived my drink order was taken (they server perfect ice tea) and I was given a bread basket with sliced French bread and small biscuits. But the great thing was the little balls of praline butter. The French bread with praline butter was so delicious that I kind of filled up on it, and wasn't all that hungry when my lunch arrived. But the lunch was so delicious, that I ate it all anyway. I ordered the chef's special of the day, which was grilled drum (white fish) and grilled asparagus with a meuniere sauce, and topped with crawfish. Along the side of the plate were red and yellow cherry tomatoes. This was one of the best fish dishes I've ever had in my entire life. Maybe the best. The fish was cooked perfectly, as were the tender crawfish. Everything about this dish was absolutely delicious. The service was professional and pleasant. I could not have asked for better.

I heard women at the next table say they made the 55 minute drive from their home in New Orleans several times a year just to eat at this cafe. If the food served here is as good as the dish I got this week, then I can certainly understand making a nearly one hour drive for food this good.

2  Thank fieldsold
Reviewed July 23, 2012

While visiting Houmas House we opted for lunch at their cafe. What a lovely lunch. The service and surroundings were wonderful and the food delicious. The soup and crab with mango salad were outstanding. A lovely break in our tour.

1  Thank librarian73

Been to Cafe' Burnside? Share your experiences!