“I Needed This”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I noticed this place as I was passing by and just couldn't help stopping in for a Lotta Burger since I hadn't seen a FrosTop for so long. There was a wonderful one in Mandeville when I was a kid (right across from a Tastee Freez!), but it's long gone.

This location isn't quite the drive-in experience, as it is a salvaged Pizza Hut building, but I loved every bite of my food. The burger was a perfect example of this genre, and the crinkle-cut fries, while apparently frozen, were cooked perfectly...nice and crispy and not greasy.

The service was very good, and the place was spotlessly clean.
I found the value to be much better than that at the big fast-food chains, also.

Basically, this place was everything I was hoping to find, but didn't, at Steak 'n Shake.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

For anyone who grew up in New Orleans, you probably remember Frost Top drive-in restaurants for root beer, sandwiches, burgers, fries & milk shakes. They have now opened a Frost Top "across the Lake" in Covington! Right away I ordered a hot roast beef poor-boy & their signature root beer. Many restaurants claim to have real New Orleans hot roast beef poor-boys, but I've never found it to be true. When I took a bite of one made at Frost Top & thought I had been taken back in time to the early 1960's. The gravy, mayo & a little yellow mustard was well mixed & there was loads of it. The French bread was soggy on one corner from all the juices. it was nearly impossible to eat. Of course I ordered it "dressed" & that included dill slices along with the lettuce & tomato.
While you're reminiscing about those school day, remember Ice Cream Nectar Sodas at K & B Drug Store? Frost Top has a reasonable facsimile of it in their Nectar Shake. Go for it!

Unlike the old Frost Top, this one serves fried seafood. It's a little salty for my taste, but good.

The building used to be a Pizza Hut. It's very plain & dull inside & out. They do a big take-out service that I prefer when it works into my plans for the day.

I gave it a 4 because of the dull ambience & because it has one flaw...it's not consistent. Although always good, it's not always the same. Apparently they have no measurements to standardize their food. But I'll keep going & hoping for the 100% True New O. hot roast beef Poor-boy .