“Wonderful place for seafood”
Review of Acme Oyster House

Acme Oyster House
Ranked #6 of 182 Restaurants in Covington
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Want some really good seafood? Every time I've visited this restaurant, I've been completely satisfied with my food and service!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just like the french quarter Acme except cleaner, more room and usully with out the lines. I think the food is a tad better than the FC location. Wait staff always friendly and go out of their way to please. We always stop on the way down to New Orleans so we can check oysters off our dinning list.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We ordered oyster poboys for lunch today and were very satisfied with the meal. I highly recommend this eatery to anyone looking for a great meal.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Having eaten at several Acme's including the original in New Orleans I was underwhelmed in the Covington store but still had a good experience. My friends and I had a few dozen Chargrilled oysters. The marquee advertised salty oysters but they weren't, admittedly by the waitress. The service was good. The restaurant had a good bit of people in both the dining area and the bar. In an area that prides itself on having good oysters, there was nothing special about these, but they weren't bad.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was not able to find Buster's Place on Trip Advisor, so I'll write my review for Acme but I'll be comparing it to Buster's Place.
The only reason we even got to try Acme was because Buster's Place, which is only 5 minutes away in downtown Covington was already closed for the night.
I'll be honest, I am not a huge fan of oysters. Well, the night before, Buster's actually turned me around. Raw oysters there were so firm and fresh that I actually liked them. They also served 2 separate sauces with raw oysters - a cocktail sauce and a horseradish sauce and you could mix those to your liking.
Considering that we are from Atlanta, GA, where oysters are usually never that huge or that fresh, I wanted to have oysters the second night as well. Unfortunately, we were a little too late and Buster's was already closed (they close at 8pm on Sundays). We were in no mood to go back to the hotel, so we decided to try Acme (open till 10pm). Well, their oysters were also big, and I can't say they were bad, but they were less firm, so, overall, I didn't like them. Also, their cocktail sauce already had a lot of radish in it, which was okay for raw oysters but tasted horrible with fried shrimp and fried oysters that we also ordered.
Other than the sauce, fried shrimp and oysters were somewhat similar both at Acme and Buster's, although I would still choose Buster's because of less breading.
We chose to substitute french fries for sweet potato fries for an extra $1 at Acme and, I think, it was a good choice. We loved the sweet potato fries.
In case someone will go to Buster's after reading this review - don't bother to order etouffee or red beans and rice, stick to the seafood, which is great there. Cajun staples like etouffee and red beans and rice which we ordered on the side were mediocre at best. To try those, take a trip to Mother's in NOLA.

Been to Acme Oyster House? Share your experiences!