“Great Chinese and Vietnamese”
Review of Northshore Empress

Northshore Empress
Ranked #13 of 182 Restaurants in Covington
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Chinese and Vietnamese cuisine
Description: Chinese and Vietnamese cuisine
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I forget who recommended this place to me, but I highly recommend them because the food is tasty and consistent. Service is friendly and fast.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have eaten two lunches at the Northshore Empress and I am very impressed with the savory taste of the food. I've eaten the Pho combination of meat, chicken and meatballs and the Pho Shrimp which was very delicious once I asked for and received the Nuoc Mom sauce which I immediately put in my Pho. Wow, what a difference it made; it was delicious.
I'll definitely be coming back to this restaurant in the future.

Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Excellent service with a lively atmosphere and the best bowl of Pho! Get the pho ga veg and you won't be disappointed!

2  Thank ITravl4Fun
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

With the emergence of Japanese Steak Houses over the last 10 years or so Chinese food is not the draw it once was. Most Chinese restaurants have gone the way of the buffet, and along with that so did the quality and taste of the food.

In any event we decided to give Chinese a try. This is the first time is a very long time, years in fact, since we had eaten Chinese. We went for lunch.

This is a regular sit down restaurant. The first thing you notice is that the building is a box, literally, with ZERO windows.

The typical numbered Chinese lunch menu was available with the usual suspects, mandarin chicken, sweet and sour, etc. my wife opted for a bowl of wonton soup. I got the lunch special called Sweet Romance, a combination of sweet and sour battered shrimp, chicken, and pork. I also ordered a cup of wonton soup. I had a coke and she had tea.

They brought out my cup of soup and my wife's egg roll, and a small plate of wonton noodles.

The noodles were cold. I grabbed a handful and dunked them in my soup, which was basically luke warm. The wonton noodles also seemed overcooked because they were disintegrating as I was eating them exposing the less than appealing chicken balls inside the dumplings. I ate it, though. I was hungry. I complained to my wife that the soup was like warm and continued on.

Then the main course arrived. My wife's soup bowl was a proper bowl. However, unlike my soup portion, hers was scorching hot. She seemed ok with the overall taste, just a bit startled by the inconsistentcy.

Then I see my dish. It looked, and I'm not kidding, like a bloodbath. There was a ball of white rice surrounded by a sea of bright bright red sauce (more like syrup). Underneath the red lie the three breaded meats. I started with a piece of shrimp. I cut it in half and it was more like batter flavored with shrimp. I could not find a shrimp, or the semblance of shrimp within the batter. On top of all that the amount of red syrup was so much that it was hard to distinguish anything at all. Then I have the chicken a try. Again, cold, flavorless, and unappetizing. Then I made my way to the pork balls. When I saw them sitting there wading in the pool of red all I could think of was...well lets just say my plate looked like there was an autopsy going on. That's what I told my wife, it looked like surgery or some medical procedure gone bad. We both stopped eating.

I cut into the pork balls and the meat was hard and grey. I did not even venture a taste.

When the waitress came around we asked for the check. She asked if I didn't like it and I just winced and shook my head. I think she knew. Then we sat for about 10 minutes waiting for the check.

The amazing thing is that the place was packed. So, we either got unlucky, or people around here have no taste. What really gets me is that we're in SE Louisiana. There's no excuse for subpar food. Oh we'll.

Skip this one.

1  Thank Jackomoipa
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I love this restaurant! They have the best hot & sour soup I've ever had! I also love their honey chicken, which is sweet and spicy enough to make my nose run! My husband loves to get the lemongrass chicken, a Vietnamese dish, which is not spicy and comes with a jasmine rice. Much better than Trey Yuen and less expensive!