“Try the Grilled Oysters!”
Review of Don's Seafood

Don's Seafood
Ranked #12 of 182 Restaurants in Covington
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: DON'S SEAFOOD More Than Eighty Years of Exceptional Seafood South Louisiana locals and visitors have been drawn to DON'S authentic Cajun cuisine for more than 80 years. Menu selections including traditional Landry family recipes, and more recent original creations like Zydeco Shrimp, are well worth repeat visits. Many stop in daily for oysters on the half shell or boiled crawfish in season. DON'S bartenders serve Signature Old Fashioned cocktails alongside the newest specialty drinks, many made with Louisiana products. DON'S SEAFOOD began in 1934, when Don Landry opened his first restaurant and bar in downtown Lafayette with $400 borrowed from his uncle. Prohibition had just been lifted and at only 24 years old, he envisioned serving drinks and offering a simple menu featuring fresh local seafood. Four generations later, the Landry family has expanded that humble beginning into what would eventually become the DON'S SEAFOOD of today. Continuing the tradition, the Landry family still owns and operates each location. An extensive menu of original South Louisiana Cajun family recipes, the freshest Gulf seafood and sizzling steaks is offered. Each location boasts a unique Acadiana-inspired décor, all have a full-service bar and grill, perfect for casual diners or sports enthusiasts. Every DON'S SEAFOOD grill features an open charbroiler where diners can watch exclusive dishes being prepared like DON'S Original Jacked Up Oysters loaded with bacon, jalapenos and pepper jack cheese. Whether you're just passing through South Louisiana or live right around the corner, you'll find a DON'S SEAFOOD location near you in Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Denham Springs, Gonzales, Hammond, Covington and Metairie.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had a great time here. We don't normally eat at the bar but the bartender was so good we couldn't resist. I had never tried "grilled oysters", which are half-shell oyster with some sauces and cheeses added and then grilled. Our server insisted on giving a couple of free samples to get me started. They came out tender, juicy and very, very tasty. We would recommend this spot to anyone visiting Covington.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

prerequisites:
1) you like cajun, esp. seafood
2) you like excellent service
if you meet these minimums, don't miss don's! very conveniently located off I-10, it offers some of the best cajun food you will find, reasonably priced, in a comfortable setting, all combined with outstanding, friendly service. we will plan our future trips from alabama to texas around don's!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I had the pleasure of attending a benefit poker run for St. Jude Childrens Hospital last week where Don's participated. The food was excellent particularly the "Jacked Up and Charbroiled Oysters". How kind of the staff to participate in such an event. Besides that we eat at Don's regularly and always find the food to be very good and the wait staff and bar tenders to be efficient and friendly. They have a great hamburger steak special at lunch and the seafood is always fresh and excellent. It tends to be a little on the pricier side but they have daily and evening specials where you can catch quite a deal if you research them. They must hire their staff based on personality as we have always found the young folks there to be very friendly and personable. I think you would enjoy the place and the traditional Louisiana fare is a good for locals and tourists alike.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've eaten here twice, once with just my husband and once with a larger party. Both times you have to practically shout to be heard. Second, the seafood is ok, but not worth writing home about. And it is VERY SPICY. My husband doesn't handle spicy foods very well so we had to look hard to find something he could eat. I do like spicy foods so I enjoyed the hushpuppies. And the potatoes side item is also very good. I had the redfish and it was so spicy it brought tears to my eyes.

They cater to a more college, yuppie crowd. They have TVs everywhere and if there is an LSU or Saints game, it will be playing and there will be lots of noise. So if that's your scene, then this would be ok for you. This particular place is close to several area hotels so I can see that tired travelers would come over to eat some seafood. If you don't mind the noise and like spicy food, then it's fine for a solo meal. But it will be an expensive one.

Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I use Trip Advisor often when we travel. We are currently on our way from GA to TX and were staying nearby and this place had great reviews.

There was a 45 minute wait when we got there. Not a problem since the reviews were so good. Once seated our order was taken quickly. My daughter and I ordered the special of the day, boiled shrimp. My other daughter got the stuffed shrimp with crab asking for fries instead of mashed potatos. My husband ordered the hamburger dish that was to come with a stuffed hamburger with cheese and onions and mashed potatos.

What we got was the two specials, not sure if the shrimps were previously frozen or what but coming from GA we know how shrimp should taste and having a chemical after taste was not it. I went so far as to add a little ketchup to them since it's not served with any sauce. That didn't help. Not to mentioned some were so overcooked I couldn't peel them. The stuffing in my daughter's shrimp was more bread product then crab and they put mashed potatos on her plate. The server caught that and already had a plate of fries ordered for her. My husband got an actual burger and fries instead of what he ordered.

I have worked as a waitress before and if I saw as much food as we left on a plate I would have asked if there was a problem. Our server asked if we wanted a to go box and I quickly said no just a check. Once it came I wrote a note on a napkin. Normally we tip 20% because we know how this job can be hard. I left just a few bucks because he did do a few things but he should have asked which is why I said on my note that it would have been more if he asked why so much food was left. Maybe the ladies a few tables over distracted him.

I write alot of reviews for this app and rarely do I write negitive ones but a $70 dinner this was not worth it.

Been to Don's Seafood? Share your experiences!