“very clean, very comfortable”

Staybridge Suites Covington
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Covington
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Overall, this is a very clean, very comfortable hotel. On the positive side, there was plenty of parking, check-in was very friendly and efficient, elevators came quickly, hallways were wide and well maintained, the room was large and clean, and the bed was comfortable. After reading some of the other reviews, I expected some sort of housekeeping problem but - even as I was on the lookout for some sort of deficiency - all public areas, hallways, and every inch of our room was absolutely spotless *. There was very little noise from the adjoining rooms or the hallway. The pool area was very inviting but it was a bit cold for outdoor activities.

If there were any negatives, I might mention the breakfast, although it was free. The serving area quickly got congested with just a handful of diners, and the unusual item I saw on the hot buffet should have been labeled, for reasons of identification and dietary restrictions. On the other hand, the dining area was quite spacious and the furnishings were very comfortable.

Also, be advised that the queen suite that I enjoyed does not have separate living and sleeping areas; so if one person in the room is watching TV, they are for all intents and purposes in basically the very same room as whoever might be sleeping.

Finally, the hotel is not visible from the highway which makes finding it a little awkward upon arrival for the first time.

* Note - the hotel advertises that for extended stays they only provide "light housekeeping" daily and "full housekeeping" once a week...perhaps that was the source of housekeeping complaints in earlier reviews, but as stated above I had no complaint.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 11, 2012

free buffet, evening drinks. and free laundry. Used the business center to print documents.
housekeeping kept coffee stocked. Would be nice if the shower head was a massage head.
First time I stayed, the carpet/floors were nasty/ Next visit, different room all was much better.
Microwave rocked! powerful and fast.
Will return.

Room Tip: I saw dogs and smokers, try to stay away from those.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Staybridge staff is very friendly and customer oriented. When I arrived earlier than expected, they found me a room and let me check in. The suite was spacious, clean, and well appointed. Another plus is the full breakfast buffet and light evening meal that are both complimentary. Not having to go out for dinner saves me time and my company money!

Room Tip: Ask for the kind of room you want at check-in. If one is available, they'll probably accommodate...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This hotel is one of the nicest that I have been in. The staff is wonderful. Ready to help and always with a smile. Plus they have free laundry facilities. With me being on the road weeks at a time it is nice not to have to pay to do laundry. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 23, 2012

When going to Covington this has been my hotel of choice. The first time I stayed here it was excellent clean and comfortable and well priced. Since then the housekeeping has going downhill considerably! The floors are not kept up with an acceptable frequency and I took note of a considerable amount of pets that were being housed here, this could also be detected by the lingering pet dander! It is still priced reasonable and the rooms are still comfortable, but this will be my last time staying.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Todd B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Covington, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Todd B,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review.We appreciate your nice comment regarding our comfortable room.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the poor service of our housekeeping. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made. We would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I struggled whether to give this hotel a 4 or 5, but decided on a 5 as I think it's more likely a 4.7. Indeed, it's better than most of the other hotels in the area.

Jennifer is an exceptional employee and I recall her answering my questions by phone pre-visit as well as quickly checking our party into our room. We checked into our suite 30 minutes prior to my mom's arrival and I asked her to please make sure my mom (who is handicapped and prefers the first floor) please have the first floor. She made sure that she was on the bottom floor. We saw Jennifer several times throughout our stay and she was always working hard and trying to help customers.

Our room was very clean, although it was on the smoking floor. If you book a room and it's on the top floor, even if it's non-smoking, there are 13 rooms on one side of the elevator that are smoking. The first two days the hallways smelled terrible, but luckily our room smelled perfectly clean. I saw the maids cleaning up the 2-3 rooms near the elevator around the first few days and the smell really wasn't as bad. It's not something that we got acclimated to - as we were gone most of the days - it's just that there must have been a very heavy smoker in the room or two near the elevator. Not the hotel's fault, but just something to note if it bothers you (ask for no 4th floor, and not near elevator).

The complimentary reception on T-Th was fantastic, especially the burger/hot dog night. Great, extra-added value for all. Also, the breakfast was very good each morning - usually egg omlettes or scambled, sausage or bacon, french toast or biscuits. They always had the waffle-maker ready and it made a cute fleur-de-lis on top. Also pastries, breads, cereals, juices, etc. The coffee was rather weak, even the "bold," but my husband says I love it waaay bold and their is a Starbucks about 2 blocks north.

Also free was the laundry (washer and dryer). Awesome for a week's stay and you don't want to pack extra bags. Other greats - mini-putt golf, fountain pool, hot tub, and completely awesome outdoor covered grills. We made our own hot dogs and sausage one night when the free dinner wasn't served and it was lovely.

Honestly, this place was so popular to some that were lucky enough to get reservations that others in our softball community were trying to move over...it was really that much bang and goodness for the buck.

A couple of negatives (beyond the smoking) - we saw 4-5 carpenter ants on day 4-5ish (maybe due to the construction next door?). Also, the smoking area at the entrance should be moved - it's a bit off-putting to those allergic and having to enter the hotel as there is no other entrance to check-in.

One last positive - the house keeper on floor 4 was fantastic and very friendly - I saw her on other floors, always helpful and worked very hard.

Kudos to all the staff and we hope to be back. Thanks!

Room Tip: If smoke bothers you at all, ask for floors 1-3
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I've read some other reviews, and to be frank, I cannot understand the negative comments. Unless you are someone who was born with a golden spoon in your mouth, you would love this Hotel especially for the price!
The front desk staff were very warm and welcoming, extremely accommodating. The room was clean, and very quiet even though the hotel was full. Let's not forget that also included in this low rate was two meals, both breakfast and a supper reception.
Overall, GREAT place to stay.
We traveled from Canada having never heard of Covington, but because of the service we recieved, we WILL be back.

Room Tip: We had the 2 bedroom king suite. Very nice, spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple