“Friendly”

Bear and Ragged Staff
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stopped in here as an impulse thought... and pretty glad we did. The staff were very friendly and the food was pretty reasonable. The log fire was much appreciated in those cold winter months too.

Visited January 2013

“Lovely place but food was awful!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I'm not one for complaining when in a restaurant, I just suck it up and never return to the establishment. We have eaten in this pub before and had an 'OK' meal, but sadly on this occasion I was not at all satisfied. The service was slow, which wasn't because they were busy, in fact it seemed rather quiet in there. I think the staff were just hiding.
There is a very large menu with a lot to chose from, but we were not impressed when our food arrived.

My battered cod was so big it filled more than half of my plate and was about 4inches high. It had so much batter on it, I had to dig to find the fish! The chips were undercooked, as was my side plate of veg. The batter was over cooked, hard and greasy, the fish was bland and the whole thing was rather unpleasant. It was also a ridiculous sized portion for one person. I never would have been able to eat the whole thing had it tasted nice!! The three other meals we ordered were much the same; bland, tasteless and pretty boring. We had to keep going to the bar to ask for drinks as there wasn't a waitress in sight.

Overall this is a nice pub, but they need to reduce the menu as the chef clearly struggles to cook so many different meals. The portions need to be reduced in size and a bit more care and effort put into the food.

Will I return?? Maybe for a sandwich!!

• Visited April 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Nice pub in a lovely part of the Test Valley.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Originally came here with work mates but was impressed enough so I brought back the family. Good food and also not to far for cyclists and walkers that are on the old Sprat and Winkle line route. Planning on coming again with a friend for lunch next time I am out on a bike ride in the area. Mottisfont not too far away also and train station.

• Visited June 2013
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, buzzing atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

A great place to relax and unwind. Friendly and helpful staff who were keen to help. Lovely outside area that catches the afternoon and evening sunshine. Good pub food...just what you would want! Definitely be back soon!

• Visited July 2013
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Friends and I visited on a Sunday evening. Menu had a good variety of dishes. However one of my party had a curry which was poorly presented and consisted of 4 small pieces of chicken, the childrens chicken nuggets had 6 huge nuggets for half the price!! The 2 steaks were both overcooked. My port and stilton sauce was so thin i sent it back to be thickened which when it returned 10mins later it was not and my food was subsequently then cold. All of the food was luke warm on arrival and then we had to wait for our cuttlery to be brought to us which is surprising as the table was booked so you would have thought they would have managed to lay the table before our arrival. A small glass of wine (125ml) was put in a 175ml wine glass and at £3.30 was a tad expensive, although it was very drinkable! Dessert was ok but mine was served in a bowl with a massive chip out of it. Asked for the bill but it did not arrive so had to go to the bar and ask again. The worst bit is i work in the pub hospitality business and its such a shame that a pretty, well presented place with plenty of staff and that was busy could be quite so dissapointing.

• Visited July 2013