“Welcoming landlady and good food”
Review of The Wheatsheaf

The Wheatsheaf
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We booked a late lunch for nine on a cold, wet Sunday.

The pub felt most welcoming and the delightful landlord could not have done more to make our visit more enjoyable.

The menu is proper pub grub, with good, local ingredients used in many cases, well cooked and promptly served.

Prices pretty reasonable also, at around £8.50-£10.00 per head.

Definitely one to recommend for a hearty Sunday lunch.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We visited for lunch on a cold, sunny day and were welcomed by three bright tubs of flowers outside the front door and a pleasant landlady behind the bar. We ordered two baguettes, one with ham andmustard, another with bacon and brie. The bread was very fresh, slightly heated but not enough to make the exterior go too crisp. The ham in my baguette was thickly sliced and the accompanying salad was well dressed, containing three colours of pepper, onion, tomato and green leaves. I was happy with my choice. My wife told me that her bacon was well-cooked and had a pleasant smoky taste; the brie had an excellent soft texture. I ordered one of two Timothy Taylor real ales available and my wife had a glass of Peroni lager. Both drinks were served in embossed glasses matching the product. We ended with a couple of coffees made on an Italian-style coffee machine.
This country pub deserves to survive the present recession. It is superbly located, with great country views from the bar area. They are even reprising the 'pie nights' for which the Wheatsheaf was justly famed a few years ago. The next one is on October 14th.

4  Thank BroLucius
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Family visit with eight people.
Came to celebrate family birthday and when sister arrived with birthday cake for our Mum the staff were so helpful! First person we mentioned it to on her arrival immediately said 'shall I take that for you' and vanished it out into the kitchen! We then ordered drinks and sat down at the table with rest of family. Once we had viewed the regular menu, as well as the Sunday lunch menu & specials board... we ordered. Most of us ordering from specials board with one roast and two regular meals. I had cod wrapped in salmon, which was cooked perfectly with roast new potatoes & salad. The potatoes too were beautiful, tasting like mini jackets accompanied by a vibrant fresh salad & dressing...
Everybody else dining also enjoyed their food!
Then when we had all been fed with the first course they promptly cleared, but not too eagerly... our table.
On presenting the 'Pudding Board' we diverted to the garden using small children as an excuse!! Speaking with same member of staff as when my sister had arrived, we asked not to take pudding order yet...to which he promptly replied 'would you like your cake out on the table there, it's not in you're Mum's view?' The staff then brought out cake, plates, cutlery & serviettes... as we assembled family. ;)
We then ordered coffee & a couple of puddings too!
Great visit... happily return!

I have read a few negative reviews and they either seem to be from before the current owners took over the premises or from the 'rather affluent' local.... say no more...

1  Thank RomseyGirl76
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Took a group of 7 for lunch on a Friday.
Great setting - especially if fine enough to sit outside in the extensive garden area.
The dining area is an addition but blends in well with the older more traditional look.
The food was a reasonable range of good quality pub food. It all came out piping hot and beautifully cooked.
The battered cod was massive (and must have been good as my mother finished it all).
Everyone seemed happy with their choices.
The staff were cheerful and helpful.
A very enjoyable lunch

2  Thank Sadnap
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Went with friends for dinner. Treat for my birthday. First visit for me. Very pleasant pub with nice garden. Restaurant and pub has nice decor and atmosphere. Some of the chairs a little uncomfortable but we swapped. Good range of drinks. Staff/owners very friendly and attentive. Genuinely cared. Nothing too much trouble. Food was excellent. Above average food for a pub. Reasonable prices. Only slight complaint was that the vegetables were not quite cooked and I like my veg firm, but cauliflower and carrots were hard. Decent coffee. Latte available. Good range on menu and additional specials. Decent portion sizes. Free WiFi. Very nice stylish clean toilets. Molton Brown wash and hand lotion. Paper towels. No awful hand dryer. Felt very comfortable there. Will certainly visit again and recommend.

1  Thank Jackie C