Coromandel Peninsula Day Tour

Book in advance
from
$393.85
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Hot Water Beach
from $393.85
More Info
from $4,922.43
More Info
1,612 results
All reviews low tide car park steam rising hot pot holiday park spa pool spade shovel hole dig dragging sand tides pools spring waves toes
Selected filters
Reviewed June 22, 2019 via mobile

Does what it says on the tin. Dig yourself a hole or steal someone else's. It was freezing when we went and the water really was boiling thankfully.

Reviewed June 5, 2019 via mobile

Take a spade! This is an incredible place- I don’t think I believed it until I was lying in one of the hot water pools!
It was busy, but there are quiet places on the beach too. Car park is $4 a hour

It is a must see!

Date of experience: June 2019
2  Thank theblondelady
Reviewed June 3, 2019

Went to Hot Water Beach a few weeks ago. It was cool outside which made it even more amazing. We were supplied with spades from our hotel. We walked around until we found an area that was warm to stand on and started digging. It's a challenge as the sand keeps caving in on itself but my husband got the job done. The water was very warm...even hot in some places. At times you could not stand in certain areas as it was too hot. There were so many people on the beach all just sitting in the warm water. Some, would then run into the ocean....it was way too cold for me to do that. You must remember to check the tide timings and go two hours either side of low tide. So much fun. This is definitely worth doing!

1  Thank Nancyd751
Reviewed June 3, 2019

We came as part of a day tour from Auckland. This was a new one for me and I do love hot springs! Our guide knew the right time for the tides and provided our shovels and gave us some tips. Once the hot tub is dug just wiggle your feet back and forth to release the hot water from below. There are some really hot spots. It was a fun unusual experience and not to be missed.

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed May 19, 2019

So we went to the beach, hired a spade and dug ourselves a hole near the low tide mark and it filled with water.

Nothing special, except this was a geothermal beach and the water was like 60 or so degrees (centigrade for you Americans).

I have read of people complaining that it's not hot, it's too crowded, blah, blah, blah. Gee people complain a lot, don't they?

We got there around 1.5 hours before the low tide. We had hired the spade from the tourist park and parked our camper in the carpark at the rate of $2 per hour.

We wandered down to the beach and there was only one other family there with their hole already dug.

I took the very technical approach of looking for a spot that had steam coming out of the sand (did the sooks the didn't find hot water try that?) and dug a hole.

HOT!!! Very hot. Exactly what I was after. It was too hot for my wife and daughter so they dug their own little pool and regulated the temperature with cold water from the beach.

We then laid in our respective pools for over an hour.

In that time I saw the beach fill up. I saw plenty of people just dig any old where and wonder why they didn't enjoy my warm water. Every now and then I scooped out a little bit of sand with my hands and when I did so the temperature increased significantly.

Outside the weather was a little cold, it even rained a little bit but insulated in my geothermal pool I really couldn't cared if it snowed!

Very relaxing and it met, and smashed, all of our expectations.

So we just laid there and enjoyed the scenery.

2  Thank Oswald_Q_Ostrich