“Wonderful zydeco breakfast”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Saturday morning at this establishment is something to behold. People of all ages dancing to the earsplittingy sounds of a fantastic Zydeco band whilst drinking mimosas or bloody Mary's. Loved the band , loved the cafe - breakfast was v. good too, but the main thing was just how cool the people were, in a totally unhipster kind of way.

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

9:15 am. we only had the beignets and coffee which were very good. cafe dumond in new orleans has competition. great atmosphere. the cajun band was great. however, stop and pick up ear plugs. you can't carry on a conversation. the restaurant is small and the music was way to loud. there are other places to listen to cajun but the dance floor was always full and people were having a great time. enjoy, jk

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Went for brunch. The Zydeco band was great along with the atmosphere. People dancing on the hardwood floor...young and old alike. Loved it. The food was good, but not blow-your-taste buds-away good. I would go back.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I visited Café Des Amis for dinner on a business trip I went on recently. The food was phenomenal! I had the Alligator and crawfish cheesecake which I highly recommend. Atmosphere is quaint and has an antique feel to it. Prices were relatively reasonable in my estimation. The only drawback I had is that if you're not drinking wine at dinner, the water glasses are small. In hindsight, I would have asked for a large glass since they refilled the alcoholic drinks much less frequently and therefore didn't make very many trips to the table to bring more water. Overall though the service and food was great!

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Arriving at 8:30 AM we could not believe the zydeco band had started and the dance floor was packed. The energy in Cafe des Amis was vibrating with cajun culture. This was a highlight of our trip to Lafayette. Never before have I danced before dark, let alone before breakfast. By the time we got seated at our table we had worked up an appetite. I advise you not to go hungry because the wait on a Saturday morning will be around one hour or more. However, the time passes by quickly enjoying the music and dancing. If you don't dance, it is great people watching and the music will get your feet tapping. If you do want to dance, pack your cowboy boots and look like a local. Located just outside Lafayette it is a must to experience.