“Surprise Lunch”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
The Woodlands, Texas
“Surprise Lunch”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We were passing through Breaux Bridge (no, not by accident) and stopped to visit several of the good antique shops on Bridge Street (or Rue Pont in local parlance). After browsing and buying some treasures, we spotted Cafe Des Amis just down the street and went in for lunch. What a pleasant surprise! There was an excellent menu. My wife had one of the days specials, a Niçoise salad and I had an excellent fried shrimp salad with sides of rice dressing (dirty rice) and corn (maque choux). We each had a glass of white wine - Pinot Grigio for her and Sauvignon Blanc for me. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The place had a good feel, relaxed. There was a table of college professors, a table of French tourists and a table of locals near us among an eclectic crowd. Our destination was New Iberia where we found a sister restaurant to this one - separate review.

Visited August 2013

Bogalusa, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Must!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I ate here for breakfast Saturday morning. The food was out of this world! My husband had the Eggs Begnaud, best etouffee, I just had the beignets, regretted after I tried my husbands. If you are ever in the area this is definitely a must. The zydeco band was amazing. Rather you are going for the food or the entertainment you won't be disappointed. We will be back for sure! Oh but be sure to get there early or you will be waiting for a while. We were able to get there around 7:45 and was able to a shared table! If fills up fast!

• Visited August 2013
Chicago
1,330 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,200 helpful votes
“Zydeco music starts at 7:30am every Saturday”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife and I ate here twice during a recent trip to Breaux Bridge. Cafe' Des Amis was just a two-minute walk from the Au Bayou Teche Bed and Breakfast where we were staying.

For dinner we decided to try several appetizers to sample the local food. We ordered Crawfish pie, Alligator/Crawfish Quiche, Crab Mush, Crabmeat Stuffed Mushrooms, and Catfish Nuggets. All were very good.

For breakfast on an early Saturday morning we had omelets with cheese grits. The beignets were also delicious.

If you go during the Saturday morning Zydeco Breakfast, there will be a wait if you want to eat. Zydeco music starts at 7:30am and the dance floor fills up quickly. The music was phenomenal, and everyone was up and dancing. Most people are courteous and don't linger at their table once they are finished eating.

• Visited July 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Good Food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We were there for lunch, service was good and so was the food. We were seated right away. Our server visited us in no time at all with ice water and menus. The decor is eclectic and very interesting, lots to look at and was interesting.

• Visited July 2013
“HAVE to eat here!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Ok, I don't know which was better, the food or the service. When do you ever get to say that???? Our waiter, young man, and I didn't get his name, but he was insane. Never wanted for a drink, food was OUTSTANDING. Give the guys in the back some credit. If your going to order Crawfish pie or BBQ shrimp in La. GET them here. hit NOLA , best they have restaurants and no one beat these folk in my opinion and my wife;s and my kids... This place was just a breath of what a eating out should be. Wonderful. So, we mentioned upon leaving we were staying at Maison de Amis around the corner and waiter asked if we would be back for breakfast , we said absolutely, he asked when, we said 8. The next day at a few after 8, we walked into a town council meeting at the back and there was our all star waiter and busy as he was pointed to a table set stem to stern for us.... unbelievable. Breakfast was as good as dinner as was the service. These guys have REAL game. I will be back, and next time I am adding a few days more to this town than I did this time. What incredible folks!

Visited July 2013