“Heart Attack in a Styrofoam Container”

The Boudin Shop & Country Store
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed July 1, 2014

What can I say? Sometimes I want healthy food and sometimes I want something that will cause me to lick my fingers again and again. This place is NOT fancy. It is a hole in the wall joint that you will miss if you blink. In addition, it is NOT fast food. Although there are homemade signs posted throughout the store attesting to that, the counter set up and comfortable atmosphere will assuredly cause one to forget that. Our food took about 45 minutes to prepare and package for us to take on the road. HOWEVER, it was the essence of Louisiana's finest. The pork and seafood Boudin was delicious. The fried chicken plate was so hot, my husband and son repeatedly burned themselves as they attempted to eat it time after time. It was breaded perfectly and not greasy at all. They even ate the skin. WE NEVER EAT THE SKIN. It was that good. The crowning jewel was my Pork Cracklins. They were prepared fresh. You have not had good Cracklins until you have had them freshly fried for you on the spot. Deliciously seasoned and fried so well, the fat was indistinguishable from the meat. We'll keep an eye out for this place EVERY time we pass through Louisiana. Also, the guy behind the counter who takes your money is HILARIOUS. I guess he's just an average, hospitable Louisiana man.

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Every time in drive through Louisiana I always stop and get some cracklins and pork boudin balls. I have even had cracklin shipped to my house. The customer service and the good is excellent.

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Not the cleanest place, but the service was good and the food was great. Seemed to be very popular with locals and return customers too.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have been stopping here when passing through for about 20 years now. My normal order is the red beans and rice and crawfish balls but have had everything on the menu at one time or another. They are known for their fried chicken and there is a good reason for that. It is excellent. In fact everything they serve has been excellent. The poor boys are a fave also along with their combo plates.

Now I will admit it looks like a hole in the wall but I have found it to be clean. The service is good and the food is always made to order. Even if I am not hungry when passing through I still stop and get something for later. No reason to eat anywhere else along the way as I have tried to do. I just keep coming back anyway,

1  Thank luckytxn1959
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Food was exceptional- we had the crawfish ettouffee, fried gator, and 3lbs boiled crawfish. Better than any I've had anywhere in Kansas. The service and atmosphere was great- only thing I disliked was the initial man at the counter seemed pretty impatient with our questions and deciding- we had never been there before so we wanted to make sure we tried all the right stuff- he seemed to lighten up a bit after though and the rest of the staff was really nice