Pont Breaux's Cajun Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Our expectations were very high, and reality came no where close. We were expecting Mulates, as my friend had eaten here before. This is now a different restaurant, and by my friend's judgement, it has fallen far. I wouldn't go back. The tilapia was uninspired and overcooked, and the salad hardly worthy of the name, but the grilled shrimp was excellent if a bit salty, and the jumbalaya was pretty good. So, mixed bag on the food, but definitely not worth the price. My problems were with the noise level and the rude staff. We were expecting zydeco, and expected loud music. But this was so loud that you could not hear the wait staff questions. Even if they stood right next to you it was hard. But our primary waitress insisted on standing on the other side of the table, and she considered my difficulty in hearing her to be a huge inconvenience for her, and not something that she was going to move an inch to solve. She also was very huffy about my wanting to know some of the ingredients; I have serious allergies and food sensitivities, so it's important. I've never been treated so rudely on this issue. Louisiana must not hold restaurants liable for mistakes in this regard, based on her attitude. Our meals were also expensive - over $70 for dinner and drinks for 2. The atmosphere was pretty good - kind of wooden saloon meets Cajun. Plenty of room for dancing and lots of tables. The zydeco was pretty good as well - not great, but certainly enjoyable. Go here for music and drinks, preferably with a large party. Don't bother for dinner.

3  Thank SallyFromTucson

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I ordered a cup of seafood gumbo and in a matter of minutes the waitress brought a cereal bowl of gumbo. I told her I ordered the cup and she said 'dat is a cup, the bowl of gumbo is the size of my serving platter." "That's how we measure things here". The gumbo had great flavor and packed with a lot of different seafood. The wife and I ordered the duck and I asked if the duck had already been started or if we would need to wait for it to cook. She said, "Oh no, we started dem this morning". It was moist(not greasy) and tender(fall off the bone) and delicious (it doesn't need a lot of seasoning). It wasn't very busy at 3pm on a Sunday and we love the Louisina cajun dialect. I wanted to ask her to say "Choot Em". It has a huge dance floor and I bet it is packed on a Saturday night.

1  Thank CHRISTY K
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Local seafood and good burgers. Lots of seating. Big dance floor and excellent live zydeco. Where local families come to enjoy. Would go back.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This place looks like a warehouse from the outside - the setting is certainly not picturesque or romantic, but the food was decent (not fantastic) and the people were friendly. Also, the drinks were good and I enjoyed the live music. It was early on a Tuesday evening, so the atmosphere wasn't all that, but I can imagine it full and with people dancing.

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

pretty quiet lunch place. Where the locals?good fried shrimp, shrimp po boy, burger, gumbo.fresh tasty bread.a fairly expensive place for lunch, questionable value.

1  Thank pmm55730