“Good Basic Lake and Swamp Tour”

Cajun Country Swamp Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Trip advisor Hall of Fame member does eco-swamptours through picturesque cypress/tupelo swamp. See a variety of swamp wildlife such as alligators,egrets,herons,turtles,etc. Owner is native cajun with college degrees in Zoology and Botany.
Saint Louis, Missouri
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Good Basic Lake and Swamp Tour”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I had done several swamp tours before--in the Okeefeenokee, Everglades and southern Louisiana-- but my partner had not, so I chose this one for him to have the experience. December is not the best time to see many alligators (too cold), but the upside is there are no bugs. I had not donea tour that included both lake and swamp territory, and found the contrast between the open and closed-in areas very interesting. The array of duck blinds, etc was also interesting. While Shawn was good at pointing out all the common critters of the swamp, I don't think he probably had the degree of knowledge his father Butch has been said to possess. He clearly did not know the more uncommon birds of the area (however one member on our trip seemed to). The boat was new, and I appreciated that it wasn't a noisy airboat. This is a good basic swamp tour. My partner, who had never been on one, really liked it. But if you are interested in more detailed knowledge of the eco-system, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“I like swamps”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Shaun, Butch's son, was our guide. He obviously spends a lot of time on the water, and he knew where to look for alligators, birds, and everything else we saw. December is not a great time to see migratory birds, because they are not in the area. Still, we saw lots of turtles, alligators, birds, and one otter.

No lions, tigers , or bears. Oh my.

Ft Worth
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Consider alternative”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We had read good reviews here prior to our trip. Was supposed to be a 2 hour tour but we only got 1 & 1/2 for our $20 per. Didn't get 'Butch' for our guide either, only his 'assistant'. Was OK but felt a little 'cheated' out of our extra 30 min. (heck, that's 25% of the trip)!! Might look into the guy down the road before you decide on one or other.

Visited November 2011
5 Thank itsknotsew
Benton Ar.
“Swamp Tour”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

The guide was very nice and informed He knew a lot about the History of the area, The boat was new and clean even though the water was down we still got to see a lot.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“The tour guide...SHAWN”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

It was very nice. Our tour guide Shawn knew his stuff, showed us and explained everything. He is also very attracted...that was an added bonus! My friends and I will be going back just to have him give us another tour ;) Not only was he a good tour guide but getting on to the noat can be tricky but dont worry Shawn will lend you his hand. It was totaly worth the $20!