“Good, but, expensive!”

Don Juanz Baja Beach Tacos
Ranked #162 of 238 Restaurants in Bossier City
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Don Juanz Baja Beach Tacos is an upscale, fast casual Cali-Mex restaurant & bar. We feature large, high quality portions that are free from MSG & LARD. We prepare our menu daily with the freshest, highest quality ingredients available. All orders are handcrafted- one at a time. Tortillas are made fresh with every order & our meats are lean, marinated, top quality grades. We serve grilled Yellow Fin Tuna in our fish tacos & burritos! Our Margaritas start with 100% fresh fruit puree, hand squeezed lime juice & fine tequila. In fact, we're the only place this side of Austin that offers an authentic Prickly Pear Margarita and a Grilled Tuna Taco! Don Juanz is livin la vida fresca!
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Being a Southern California native, I know what great baja style fish taco's are and Don Juanz is very close to being great, but, not quite, for several reasons. First of all the corn tortilla they use is not very good at all and not homemade. I'm not saying that a great fish taco needs to have a homemade corn tortilla, but, it needs a great tasting corn tortilla, even if store bought. The amount of fish they put on the taco is very limited, they are not generous for the amount of money you pay. I have to say the fish is high quality, but, unfortunately, too little is put on the taco. The green salsa is excellent! I haven't had such great green salsa in a while!

Overall, the fish tacos are very good and would be great if they put more fish on the taco, used a better corn tortilla, and weren't soo expensive. If ever in Los Angeles and want to try true authentic baja style fish tacos, you have to go to El Taco Nazo in Baldwin Park, that place has set the bar and the prices are great!

donz06, Owner at Don Juanz Baja Beach Tacos, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for the review & I appreciate the comment "pretty close to great", especially from someone from Southern Cal! I can't promise you'll find cheap prices here, but I can guarantee you that we use only the freshest, highest quality ingredients found anywhere. Sushi Grade Tuna is not only expensive, but is getting scarce. We often go through additional work just to secure prime tuna inventory. Because we try to use all natural ingredients, the 100% white corn tortillas are very light on flavor. We could punch up the flavor more, but we'd have to add more salt or other artificial ingredients to do so. Presently, we use only white corn maze, water, salt & lime. Not much else goes into it, other than pressing them out fresh on our tortilla machine in our kitchen. I'm also a Southern Cal native & have dined at El Taco Nazo in Baldwin Park. It's good, but they prepare their food differently than Don Juanz. Their tortillas are definitely enhanced with lard & much more salt. They do not use Sushi Grade Yellow Fin Tuna like we do. On my last visit, they weren't sure what type of fish was being served, other than- white fish. We try hard to please everyone & offer a less expensive fish taco- the Baja Snapper. We strive for lard & msg free food made fresh daily. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

This place is AWESOME. shrimp quesadillas are amazing so are their fish tacos. Awesome margaritas too! We go here all the time. great service, friendly staff. Highly recommend.

donz06, Owner at Don Juanz Baja Beach Tacos, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for the glowing review you wrote! because we get so much praise on the Yellow Fin Tuna Tacos, I'm happy to hear the recognition for our Shrimp Quesadilla. Our quesadilla's start with a fresh tortilla, Wild-caught shrimp (Gulf Coast when we can get it), 100% dairy cheese & FLAT GRIDDLED for a crunchy finish on the tortilla. Our margaritas are all natural, no artificial ingredients. We start with hand-squeezed limes & finish them with pure, agave platinum tequila (not a varietal-cheaper). Come treat yourself to Double Margaritas 7 days a week from 4:30-6:30 & Margaritas-B4-Midnite (Fri & Sat 8-10pm) two- for -1.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Wonderful food, friendly staff, and a great atmosphere. If you haven't been you must try it.

Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Thank you so much for the gracious review! Your review is heralded by your time spent in Mexico & your knowledge of how things should be, in a Mexican restaurant. From your comparison of our salsa to your grandma's salsa made from scratch is a very high compliment! We're glad to hear our fish tacos & margaritas made the cut, as well. We're currently reviewing property sites in Shreveport & have plans to expand. Keep the faith!

Reviewed June 15, 2012

While in the Shreveport area, we decided to check out Don Juanz based on Yelp reviews. The man working at the register was very friendly and helpful, and the restaurant was very clean. I had the shrimp tacos, which were decent but bland. They were very heavy on cabbage, and the shrimp could have used some seasoning. The corn tortillas were tasty, and they had pretty good chips. My husband enjoyed the salsa, and he had chicken tacos on spicy salsa tortillas. He said the chicken had good flavor, but the tortilla just tasted like a plain tortilla. I would likely visit again if in the area and maybe just try something different.

Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit @ Don Juanz. It was good to hear we excelled in most areas of your visit. We can adjust the cabbage portion on your fish tacos- upon request. We specialize in customizing orders for our customers. We look forward to your next visit & hope you enjoyed your time in Louisiana!

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Title is self-explanatory. The Salsa is to die for. I grew up in Mexico, where my grandmother made and preserved her own salsa after she grew her own peppers in the backyard and I gotta say, Don Juanz's salsa is still better! The baja fish tacos are great! Really fresh and super tasty. I love the decor and the service is great. The owner is very friendly also. Oh, I alost forgot: Margaritas are a success! I wish they had more than one location.

I think your review tops the top compliments we've ever had! Being that you're from Mexico & you believe our salsa is better than your grandmothers salsa in Mexico blows us away! We can't get any better than that & we appreciate your support.