“Fried stuff...get you some!” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Dallas, Texas, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fried stuff...get you some!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I really wished I enjoyed crawfish more than I do because it looked really good. Instead, I tried the frog legs, shrimp, and catfish n oyster plate. I'd never had frog legs and they turned out to be virtually just like a chicken wing drum. The oysters were really big and the catfish and shrimp was as expected. My bro in law also let me try a couple of alligator bites from his po boy and I liked that too. A little chewy/rubbery, but only if you really try to notice that. Otherwise not really anything exotic. I love the variety of seafood offered here. The prices are very reasonable and I always appreciate local good food. It's a store front on a tiny strip mall and the parking may be difficult on a busy day. I just have to try the crawfish next time!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jose S

Redmond, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Next time the Crawfish are going down...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stopped into Kim's Seafood while on a side-trip from a hunting trip to Texas and met some friends in Shreveport-Bossier. It's in a strip mall with fluorescent lighting and plastic chairs. However, ambience aside, this place was quite good. I ordered a combo plate with fried catfish, shrimp and oyster. Everything tasted quite fresh and delicious and my friends all liked what they'd ordered (boiled shrimp combo and tilapia plate).

I was hoping to go back the following day for a crack at some crawfish (we west-coasters didn't know what to make of those things, but after watching everyone else in the place eating crawfish, I thought I was up to the task). Unfortunately, the timing didn't work and we couldn't fit it in but everybody else in the place was loving the massive buckets of boiled crawfish.

I give it 5 stars on food quality and 3 on environment. It was never supposed to be fine dining, but it just seems like it could be made more comfy because it is a down-home kind of place. I'd definitely go back and next time a pound of crawfish is going DOWN!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank DavidMCarson
Bossier City, Louisiana
“Good little seafood place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Very casual with great seafood po-boys on real New Orleans French bread. Excellent boiled crawfish in season. A winner if you're hungry for such.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Dana S
Frisco, Texas
“Stellar seafood - don't expect the Ritz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Great food - oyster loaf loaded with plump oysters - catfish expertly fried with a wonderful crunchy cornmeal coating. Seafood is fresh and some of the best I have found in Shreveport/Bossier. You will eat here because the food is first rate not because there is any atmosphere! A small whine - we spent in excess of $30.00 for lunch (for 2 people!) and when I asked for cocktail sauce (tarter sauce was served with the meal) they required a payment of .80! During lunch every table was taken so if you are in a hurry don't go during normal "rush" hours.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank BayouBelle51
Shreveport, Louisiana
“2012 update”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I visited Kim's again after enjoying it the first time. The fried shrimp were excellent, as was the seafood gumbo. The portions were not huge, but the food was tasty. The only negatives that I will mention is that I did not find the workers to be particularly friendly. The young lady taking the orders was not rude, but neither was she cheerful and outgoing. The worker who brought the food to the table did not even utter a word to us, and I suspect it was due to a language barrier.

When my shrimp arrived, I went back to the counter and asked for tartar sauce. I was told that I could have it for 87 cents, or I could trade my seafood cocktail sauce for tartar, which I did. Seemed to me that with an order of two entrees, two beverages, and a seafood gumbo, they could have provided tartar sauce without making such a big deal out of it.

I still think that the menu is extensive and offers some great choices, and the quality of the food is good. Just go here for the food, and not so much for the service or ambiance!

• Visited December 2012