“One of the Nicest Hotel Rooms this Road Warrior Has Seen”

Horseshoe Bossier City
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Bossier City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Simsbury, Connecticut
“One of the Nicest Hotel Rooms this Road Warrior Has Seen”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Had read poor room reviews and was not expecting much for an old casino hotel in Louisiana. BOY were we surprised - reserved only the basic room and it was gorgeous! Huge. Great view over water. 2 Large Beds. Two TVs. Huge tub (not whirpool but huge.) One sink with large counter. Large mini refrig. Three phones. No smoking room actually didn;t smell like smoke!

Very nice lobby - staff accommodating - free valet parking which was quick and refused offer of a tip.

Fitness center was old, small, small charge for using even as hotel guest. Skip it.

Buffet was nice, cheap and empty but no breakfast buffet except on weekends. Steak house was not very good - skip it.

Casino was attached over a walk ramp - it was old, smokey, no Pai Gow, no Crazy Four Poker, strange procedures admitted to be different from all other casinos as to touching your cards etc that took some adjusting to, but dealers were friendly and patient.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank slce123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
United States
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I stayed here for 3 days with my mom, sis, aunt and uncle.
Lobby and public spaces are comparable in appearance to other casinos hotels I've been to in Vegas and New England. The casino is most definitely not. Since I was in the area visiting family this wasn't a problem but if I had been there for nightlife/gambling I would have been quite disappointed. Free/convenient parking and proximity to the Riverwalk area area are a plus here. Overall though, I will try another hotel next time.

Room- VERY spacious room w/ lots of tables, drawers and storage. A big plus since I was sharing w/ sis. Huge bathroom/tub/vanity. Large fridge tucked inside a cabinet- nice touch.
It was clean enough and bed was comfy. As noted by other reviewers though, the rugs are filthy and turned my socks black.
I had a smoking room and it smelled like an ashtray. I expected some odor but this was extreme. Mom had a non-smoking and it was fine.

Restaurants- Only ate at the coffee shop. The food was good, service friendly and prompt. Price was reasonable.
The CMT bar is a disappointment. Overpriced, too small drinks served by bartenders who acted like we were an interruption. I thought I'd have to light myself on fire to get his attn for a refill. The floor waitresses were great though. Music volume was WAY too loud for that type of venue. I like live music and clubs but we were shouting into each other's ears to be heard.

Casino- A joke. Mostly slots, hard to get at a table. Dealers w/ little personality. It didn't seem like anyone was having any fun.
Staff- with 2 exceptions (coffee shop and front desk) everyone acted like they'd rather be somewhere else. Lots of automated responses and blank stares. I felt like I was an intrusion mostly.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Ball Louisiana
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I chose the Horseshoe because of the convenience to Christus Shumpert hospital. I am a wife and mother of two - but was traveling and staying alone for the night. My husband was VERY concerned about my safety. NO NEED! I never felt threatened or unsafe in any way. It was pouring rain when I arrived. I wanted to park my own vehicle in the VERY WELL LIT parking garage but wanted to check in first. The valet attendent offered for me to park my vehicle under the canopy so that I wouldn't get wet going in and out - even though they weren't parking my car for me. Everything was VERY clean. My room was much nicer than I anticipated. My room was very quiet, clean and pleasant. I ate dinner in my room - but went down and ordered it from the Cafe. Although I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of the food for the price - I was impressed with the quantity. It was A LOT of food for what I paid.

In all - my stay was very pleasurable. I will be traveling to Shreveport again within the next week for a minor surgery. My husband and I WILL be staying at the Horseshoe. They have earned my business.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
texas
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I requested a non smoking room. As soon as we got off the elevated on 12th floor you could smell smoke. We were hoping that the smell was only in th hall and not in our room. Wrong! As soon as we opened the door to the room it reek of an ashtray. The carpet was nasty and one of the bed had hair in it. The furniture in the room was stain. I was so disappointed about the whole stay. You really should update your virtual veiwing of the room on line showing the current conditon of the rooms and not what they looked like when you first built the hotel. My room was 1207 and we stayed on 9/24/09. My husband has asthma and had a had time sleeping because of the smoke smell.
Sorry about the complaint. But, you rooms really needs a good cleaning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I expected much better. The carpet was dirty, with many stains. The furnishing were worn and stained. We asked for a non smoking room, but this room reeked of smoke. There was trash on the floor around and under the bed. Mildew on the shower curtain. I went to local drug store to buy disinfecting wipes, just so I would feel comfortable staying there. No free wireless internet either. I really expected better, and i wont go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
San Antonio TX
Reviewed September 23, 2009

We still have family in Louisiana & stay at the Horseshoe whenever we visit. The hotel is lovely & we love the valet parking. Stays have been pleasurable dozens of times over the last 5+ years. These rooms are expensive but in the past it has been worth the price.

However this trip was different. In the middle of the night it sounded like someone was trying to kick in our door. The door was jarred to the point that the hardware was rattling. 4 very hard hits. Turns out the guy in the room next door was upset about being asked to leave the poker table. He went into his room & slammed his door so hard that it shook our door. Very unsettling for 2 middle age ladies traveling alone.

I am of the opinion that the hotel security should have been in front of that situation. He was obviously drunk and out of control or he wouldn't have been asked to leave the poker table. They should have intercepted the guy before he had an opportunity to disturb and frighten hotel guest.

Because he was swearing and yelling, we requested relocation to a new room. The hotel graciously accommodated, all they had available was a smoking room. It didn't matter we were checking out as soon as it was daylight anyway.

The staff and management of the hotel were uninterested in redemption and did not offer for that night to be free or discounts on the next visit. Which is OK - we will not be staying at the Horseshoe again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Dumas, Arkansas
Reviewed September 7, 2009

The crew in the casino is very friendly...Room was much nicer than I expected..HUGE tub..We requested non-smoking and it wasn't available so they sent up a air cleaner treatment and it worked great.. no smoke smell in room at all...
When I checked out -(after being about an hour away) I realized I had left my jewelry (wedding ring, pearl earrings and a very special bracelet) on the counter in the bathroom. I called housekeeping in a panic and she said no one had been to clean the room yet so it would still be there.. Well, I wasn't counting on it but said a prayer and drove back. housekeeping actually turned in my jewelry.. I was so thrilled there was an honest person there!!!! I wish I knew her name so I could thank them!!!

Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Courtyard Shreveport-Bossier City/Louisiana Boardwalk
Residence Inn Shreveport-Bossier City/Downtown
The Remington Suite Hotel and Spa Shreveport
Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport Bossier City

Been to Horseshoe Bossier City? Share your experiences!