“No longer a loyal Marriott Fan”

Courtyard Baton Rouge Acadian Centre/LSU Area
Ranked #28 of 78 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This hotel killed my love for Courtyard by Marriott. The first room they put us in was on the first floor and smelled like cat urine or mildew. I tried to tolerate it, but after 10-15 minutes in the room I was sneezing. The hotel staff didn't even question it when I told them the room smelled, it was if they already knew, in fact, one of the staff told me that when he first started working at this hotel he stayed in a room that smelled like mildew! Luckily they had another room available, but the new room smelled clean but was sitting right over the freeway, so we listed to freeway noise all night. If that wasn't bad enough, I woke up the next morning and went down to the lobby to check email and drink coffee only to find that there was no coffee!!! They no longer have complimentary coffee in the lobby - if you want coffee you have to buy it at their new trendy "Starbucks" counter. At 5:30 in the morning there is no one working the counter and thus no coffee! I wake up early and typically head down to the lobby to drink coffee for an hour or so before my husband gets up. That way I can check e-mail and get ready for day without making noise in the room. I'm very disappointed that I can no longer do that at Marriott. Will be looking for a new place to stay next trip!

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the upper level rooms along the freeway. First floor rooms were fairly quiet...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh W, Manager at Courtyard Baton Rouge Acadian Centre/LSU Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

I apologize for the issues that occurred during your stay. We have addressed and fixed the smell issue. Thank you for helping us improve our hotel. I assure you that we will.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Baton Rouge Acadian Centre/LSU Area

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The location was perfect for our visit to the LSU campus recently. Within a mile or two there were plenty of places to eat and even has an Outback next door with a path.
The room was what I had requested and was clean. The front desk staff was friendly and accomodating. There were some issues with the key entry for our room, but it was corrected. The hair dryer fell apart and the iron was not working, but both were replaced in minutes.
The pool was not very clean, but the courtyard area was a great place to just relax.
I am sure there are nicer places in the area, but for what I needed the Courtyard fit the bill.
One drawback, was the train that came by around 6:30 am the two mornings we were there. Not a big deal if you are an early riser.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Josh W, Manager at Courtyard Baton Rouge Acadian Centre/LSU Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We apologize for the issues that occurred, and we will do everything we can to prevent them from happening during your next stay.

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I came to Baton Rouge on a 3 night recruiting trip, and this was the most convenient location to the campus that I found. I was pleased with the friendliness of the staff, including front desk, bistro, and custodial staff. The room was clean and comfortable. My only complaint is that I had a room on the side of the building facing I-10, so the road noise was pretty bad. Thankfully I was extremely exhausted, so I slept fine in spite of this. I definitely recommend either an interior courtyard room or one on the other side.

• Stayed: September 2013
Josh W, Manager at Courtyard Baton Rouge Acadian Centre/LSU Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for writing this review. We apologize for the inconvenience of the freeway noise. If you request the other side of the hotel, we will do everything we can to fulfill your request and ensure your stay is enjoyable.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Ring in the toilet!!! Floor had not been vaccummed. I had hair in my bed and there was this sticky stuff on the night stand. I normally do not allow my room to be cleaned while I am there through the week because I do not like anyone in my room. So on Wednesday, I asked for towels from the maid (around noon) and I was told that the they were all out of towels, but I could be given hand towels and wash clothes! The towels I did have....VERY DINGY.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Josh W, Manager at Courtyard Baton Rouge Acadian Centre/LSU Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

I'm very sorry about the experience you had during your stay. This is definetly not our standard and nothing like that should ever happen. I sent you a private message with my email attached. I would like to get more information from you so we can find out who cleaned your room and take the necessary actions to prevent this from happening again. Also, we recently ordered towels and I apologize we were low on inventory during your stay.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Modern decor, friendly staff, great amenities in the room, can't beat the price. My room was at the end of the hall and there was free Wi-fi. Would definitely stay there again and would recommend highly.

• Stayed: June 2013
Josh W, Manager at Courtyard Baton Rouge Acadian Centre/LSU Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

I'm happy to see that you commented on the modern decor of the hotel. We are proud to say that we remodled our rooms within the last year. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, older style but clean and comfy. Exercise room a bit small with older equipment. My only complaint is the hard water in the barhroom its takes a lot of effort to get the soap off while taking a shower. Other than that I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Josh W, Manager at Courtyard Baton Rouge Acadian Centre/LSU Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Thank you for your comments. One of the only ways to improve our hotel is by receiving feedback from our guests. We hope that you stay with us again.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were in Baton Rouge for a family wedding. Staying at the Courtyard was a great experience , the rooms were clean and the staff was very friendy. The only prolem we had was a fire alarm went off at 12:30 in the morning and we had to go outside for nothing. But better safe then sorry.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

It's great to hear that you had a good experience with your stay. I'm very sorry about the fire alarm. I know how that could have been frustrating. Thanks for staying with us.