“The Meanest Desk Staff” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 72 Hotels in Baton Rouge
mbm59
“The Meanest Desk Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed here 11 days until a Marriott property became available. I was in Baton Rouge on business. I arrived close to 11:00 pm, at check in Jason appeared annoyed I had arrived He didn't ask for my Priority memebership number, didn't give me the complimentary breakfast coupon and the $5.00 off dinner coupon. This hotel has rooms above the lobby and rooms NOT attached to lobby. This section is 2 floors with no elevator. The room are medicore at best. The door doesn't open to an enclosed hallway it more like a "motel" setting. NO small fridge or microwave for the room. A co-worker left her cell phone charger in room and had asked Jason if he could get housekeeping to get it and leave at front dsk for me to get. When I inquired about the charger the evening staff ws very rude, asking me who all kinds of questions about who she spoke to, needless to say the charger was not found. The breakfast buffett was excellent and the hostess Mary IS THE NICEST EMPLOYEE THEY HAVE.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
Brandy_Bolden, Manager at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Mbm59,
I am truly sorry that our desk staff did not make you feel welcomed or acknowledge your status as a Priority Club member. I can understand what an inconvenience it must have been to not receive the meal coupon or your cell phone charger and I apologize for that as well. It is never our intention to make our guests feel unappreciated. I am happy to hear that your experience with Ms. Mary in the restaurant was much better and I will personally address the front desk staff to ensure that we leave you with a more positive experience on your next visit. Thank you for sharing your comments and helping us to become better customer service specialists!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Lobby is nice, but the Southwest theme is odd for this part of the country.
Hotel is made up of a newer tower and an older "exterior" section - think old motel with outside walkways. I just don't feel safe with people walking by my door and window all night.
New decor is nice, but they didn't seem to improve the facilities/mechanics. First room we were in had soaking wet carpet and the air conditioner didn't work. Second room had a wet spot near the bathroom sink. I set a towel over it and was disgusted to see it soaked up some dark brown liquid! Gross!!
A/C units leak water all over the sidewalks. They are loud and don't cool the rooms efficiently or evenly.
Rust spots near the door locks made me feel unsafe like the lock could be pried off and the room broken into.
Curtains don't cover the windows completely to block out the lights from the parking lot.
Bed was comfortable, but the pillows are the size of airplane pillows. Was pleased to see plain white duvets and sheets that were very clean instead of those nasty old bedspreads.
No safe in the room.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. While I am glad that you like our remodel, I can see how the theme can be slightly confusing. It is a nod to the Spanish influence in Louisiana back in the mid 1700's. Our way of standing out among other local hotels. We are aware that we still have PTAC units that should be replaced and every month we are switching out old ones for new ones. The inconsistencies with our older units are what cause the various problems that you described. Also, I will certainly address the rust spots on the security latches with maintenance to ensure proper working order in all of our rooms. If we ever have the pleasure of having you back please know that we offer a pillow menu so that you may choose a pillow that better suites you, but I am glad you noticed the cleanliness of the bed! Hope to see you again soon!
Sebastopol, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 days after Isaac. My room smelled horrible and had a big wet spot by the window. Curtains were stained and ceiling leaked. Don't you check your rooms before selling them? Was already stressed and did not want move. Came home sick. Air conditioning didn't work. Had it on 62 and only felt 70.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Chrissiclay,
I sincerely apologize for your sub-par accommodations during your stay with us. You're right, we should be checking each and every room consistently to ensure that it is perfect for every guest. As part of the new management team I can assure you that clean, comfortable, and operational accommodations are our goal. We are slowly making progress towards this goal and day by day we are making the necessary changes to prevent future guests from having the same experience that you had. Since your stay, we have implemented a more detailed process for inspecting our rooms. Thank you for your honesty and I invite you to return in the future to enjoy us at our best!
Baytown, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

This is an older Holiday Inn but if really has been updated a time or two and the owners apparently are trying. It is clean and very close to the freeway. Plenty of parking and seemed very busy. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Tigergirl2, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your nice comment. Yes, we have been through a tremendous amount of renovations and are pleased you have noticed. We hope when you return to Baton Rouge, you will give us a call as your preferred hotel in the area.

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our hotel. We will look forward to your return visit here at Holiday Inn South Baton Rouge
Arlington, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

One night stay at a great hotel. The location was perfect and easy to get to. I arrived late and the front desk (Maggie) had me checked in quickly and even called the bar to ask them to stay open just a bit longer so that I could grab a quick drink before I went up to my room. Rooms are a good size and nicely equipped. The mattress was fantastic. Normally, I never sleep the first night in a hotel. But, this hotel, I slept straight through to the alarm. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Tigergirl2, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. It is obvious that you understand how much positive feedback can mean to hotel staff. We have shared your review and comments with our staff. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to recognize those individuals who met or exceeded your expectations. Thanks again for taking a few moments of your valuable time and we hope to see you again soon!
Have a great day!
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Staci,
All of your team did a terrific job last weekend for our assembly group. The people working the restaurant, the registration, Maggie and the maintenance people, Amos and others. All of them had big smiles and were helpful. Oh, yes, security is included, Housekeeping, too.
Let me tell you a little story that happen at the Holiday Inn in Baton Rouge a few months ago. I was at a convention at the hotel and realized that I forgot my phone charger. I was telling someone at the convention that I didn't have my charger and one of the maintenance men was walking by and heard me talking. He told me to go to the front desk and asked to see the chargers that people had left in their rooms. A registration person let me look in a large box of chargers, but I could not find one that fit my phone. The next suggestion was to go to housekeeping and asked them. A lady at housekeeping took my cell phone and went into another room and in 3 or 4 minutes came back with a cell phone charger that fit my phone. She said I could have it, so I gave her a tip and use that phone charger when I'm traveling. I stay at this Holiday inn 5 or 6 times a year and the staff is always helpful. Keep up the good work. It's a team effort.
Terry R

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you Mr. Terry for the great review. We enjoy the positive feedback of our hotel. We have shared this review with our staff and strive for the best customer service possible. We look forward to the return of your group each quarter. Thank you again for the time you took to review the hotel.
Allison Crump
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

VERY OVER RATED!!! I'm sure if you get a room in the newer section you will find the ratings suitable otherwise, very mis-leading. I wouldn't stay there again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Tigergirl2, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Baton Rouge South Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We’re very sorry you found our exterior guest rooms to be unfavorable. We have many guest who enjoy and request the exterior accommodations. These rooms are newly renovated and are larger than the interior guest rooms. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Holiday Inn South Baton Rouge. We hope you consider our hotel on your next visit and request our Tower Rooms. Thank you again for your time and review.