“Avoid at all cost”

Ranked #13 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Dallas
“Avoid at all cost”
Reviewed August 7, 2008

The worst Embassy Suites I have ever stayed at, and glad it was for only one night since. The property fails every standard from deceptive booking information, to poor service, and exceptionally filthy rooms and common areas.

After being told that the property was ''completely" renovated in 2007 I was astonished to see the poor condition upon arrival. Elevators don't work; hallway lighting is almost non existent; room service trays and other hotel service items cluttered all over the place; interior carpeting is disgusting; tiles cracked; stucco hallways look like they were painted by a three year old and omnipresent smell of mildew everywhere.

Rooms are decorated with furniture that must have been found at a hotel furniture close out store, television sets are at least 10 years old. Bed linens are threadbare, and although I requested a non smoking room there was an incredible smell of stale, recent, and frequent smoke.

I travel frequently for business and this is so under performing, I would be amazed that Hilton would allow the Embassy Suites flag to fly there much longer without significant investment and a willing management.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank TXTravelPublisher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Checking in went fine, no problems, but the hotel seems old, and has a funny smell like it hasn't been cleaned in awhile. Our room didn't seem to have been cleaned properly before we arrived and we didn't have a remote for our tv and although we requested it they never brought it. I am usually not very picky and don't write many reviews but for what we paid I don't feel like this Embassy lived up to others we have stayed in. The breakfast that is usually amazing what burned and unorganized, they were running out of things and the quality of food was just poor. Very sad. The pool was a mess and we only stayed poolside for about 20 minutes with our kiddo's cause it was just not very clean. Embassy needs to do some work on this one. What a bummer.

• Liked — check in was smooth
  • Disliked — smell was dingy, lack of updating, poor cook to order breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank texanmom21

Travelers are raving about these Baton Rouge hotels

widallas
Reviewed June 19, 2008

I agree with some of the earlier reviews -- very nice staff (including management), but Hilton should be ashamed for not putting some money into renovating. This could be a lovely hotel, but its outdated, moldy and grungy. Slap all the emblems and monograms on that you'd like -- when the room is moldy, the vents have film on them, there's a weird dead beetle stuck on the wall when you look up over the bed, and (my personal favorite) the AC drain comes out over the bathtub, trickling cold water down your back the entire time....it's not up to Embassy standards. Or at least, it shouldn't be.

Like I said, staff was great -- very helpful, and the evening reception was o.k. Very nice breakfast. They just don't have much to work with. Fork up some renovation money Hilton!!!

• Liked — Nice staff, nice hot breakfast
  • Disliked — Condition of hotel overall
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank widallas
Houston and surrounding areas
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I have stayed in numerous embassy suites and this was by far the nastiest. Where to begin---we went to our assigned room and there was a room service tray outside our room from a previous guest that was not removed for 2 days. We repeatedly asked the front desk to recode our key cards because they only worked twice throughout the 3 days. The lock on our door locked half of the time with no resolve from the front desk. 2 of the 4 elevators had problems either getting stuck or just not working. The absolute highlight was when a member of our party's vehicle was broken into and many items were stolen. Apparently this hotel has this problem often due to the lack of security cameras on their building. I am surprised that Hilton would put their name on this hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed June 2008
1 Thank mulva5
Warren, Michigan
Reviewed May 17, 2008

After traveling for a family reunion in Houma, my wife and I stayed the night here prior to flying home to Detroit. The hotel is a bit dated, however there was nothing wrong the room. We had a problem with the air conditioning in our room; we called down to the front desk and were told that if they could not fix it in "FIVE" minutes that they would move us to another room. Within three minutes 2 members of the hotel staff had visited our room and were helping us carry our luggage to the new room 3 doors down. This is the type of service I wish every hotel offered. We were very impressed and will be staying here again in September. The bed was very comfortable, like sleeping in my own. Great service and a Great nights sleep, what more could one ask from a hotel.

• Liked — Great staff and nice bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ferretsWarren_MI
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 11, 2008

My family spent one night in the Embassy Suites on our way to take a cruise out of New Orleans. I thought it was the perfect choice for our needs. My daughter loved the indoor pool. I personally love having a separate area to watch TV after my daughter (she is 5) goes to sleep. The hotel could be a bit loud. There was a swim meet in town and the hotel was FULL of kids. Their voices echoed in the atrium as they yelled across the hotel. They went to bed at a decent hour and it didn't bother us at all. This isn't a four star hotel, but it was perfect for us.

• Liked — The fact tha the room was a large suite
  • Disliked — It was hard to access
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I may be a snobby northerner, but this hotel seems to suffer from the same problem as many other establishments in the deep south - they may look good on the outside, but the inside hasn't been renovated for decades, and it shows.

The website for the hotel says a major renovation took place in 2007, but it's tough to see where this happened. The rooms look old, especially the furniture, the fixtures, and the telephones. The HVAC system was noisy and not that effective, and overall air quality was so-so. The lock was broken on the sliding window/door in the bedroom. The elevators are old and slow. The lobby area is OK. I didn't have time to check out the pool and exercise room.

Cleanliness was an issue. The carpet never seemed to get vacuumed properly, and I was there for a few days. Bathroom was fine. Bedding and pillows were clean but blankets and sheets were old and sub-standard for this hotel class. Then there was a little spider that set up camp on my bed during the daytime, and I had to chase him away every night. I finally had to whack him in the Sopranos sense of the word.

The hotel charges 10 bucks a day for high-speed wireless internet access, and phone charges are very expensive. For this price point, internet and local phone should be free. Not good. The two TVs worked but sound quality wasn't great and one didn't respond well to the remote.

Pluses for the hotel include relatively easy access from major highway, adequate and free parking, good free breakfast, and free cocktails in the evening if you're into that. I also ordered a surprisingly good grilled ribeye steak from room service.

• Liked — Location and breakfast
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and internet charges
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business