“Embassy Suites Baton Rouge”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Baton Rouge
Ranked #11 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Embassy Suites Baton Rouge”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My parents really enjoy staying at Embassy Suites' hotels and it was at their request I initially booked three rooms for three nights at the hotel. We arrived one day early, on the 4th of July, for a family reunion and the staff was helpful in extending my initial reservation for one more day. My mother even filled out a comment card regarding the front desk staff member who assisted us, praising her work to get us situated.

Later on the evening of the 4th, I noticed that my room did not have enough vouchers for breakfast. On our way back from dinner I stopped by the front desk and asked for more vouchers and she responded with, "They should be with your room keys." I told her yes, we have seven vouchers, but there are three of us in my room. She asked me what room I was in and said, "Only two adults are listed in your room." I told her that she must have made a mistake when issuing the rooms because I booked three rooms; one room with two adults, one room with two adults and two children, and one room with two adults and one child. (She never asked us who was in what room or how many people were in our party when we initially checked in so I understood the confusion). She then handed me four tickets. I kind of looked at her confused and I asked for one more ticket. She said,"No, you have the four your daughter needs." I then replied that we still needed one more because there are three of us staying for four nights, which is 12 tickets not 11. She then reluctantly handed me one more voucher. (Again, I understood that with the extra night added, there was some confusion as to the number of vouchers necessary).

Around 11:00 pm we noticed the sofa bed did not have a blanket or pillow. After searching every drawer and the closets for the missing items, my wife called down to the front desk and asked if they had any. The staff member responded with check under your tv in the drawers and my wife told her I had already done so. The staff member then stated that they did have extras down at the front desk. My wife asked if she could have someone bring it up. The staff member responded with, let me see if I can find somebody and then proceeded to put my wife on hold. After five minutes my wife hung up and I told her I would go down to the front desk and get them. When I arrived at the front desk, the staff member was engaged in assisting another customer and I asked another staff member if I could have a pillow and blanket. He responded by saying check underneath your tv in your room. I replied, "I would not be down here at 11:15 pm, if there was one in the room."

The next morning my father and I met for breakfast in the dinning area. While eating our breakfast we noticed a man pushing a kart and he had a clear plastic bag around his waist. We only noticed him because most of the other diners were staring at him as he walked through the dining and food service area. I did not think much of it until I noticed his pants were torn nearly to his hip and a large cyst hung from his leg. On the inside of the plastic garbage bag, there appeared to be some fluid drying on the side of his body where the cyst is located. My father and I both commented that he should not be working in the dining area with that kind of condition, especially during food service hours.

The night of the 5th, my family and I attended the manager's reception. During the reception I walked up to the bar and ordered a couple appetizers from a staff member. When the items were ready, he promptly brought it out to my the table where I was sitting with my family. When I paid for the items, my bill was 10 dollars and some change. I left him a three dollar tip and proceeded to take all the kids in our party to the pool. When I returned from the pool around 10:00 pm, my sister informed me that she had ordered dinner from the staff member in the same manner as me, but he added 18% gratuity to her bill. She informed me that she was interested in providing a different amount. I brought this to his attention and he stated, "18% is standard procedure for parties of 6 or more." I replied that he did not apply this to my bill and I also pointed out that I had taken all the kids to the pool; leaving 5 adults. He then responded, "The policy is listed on the menu." My sister then, told him that she was sitting at a four person table. The staff member replied by saying, "Don't pretend like you don't know those people over there!" I then told him to take the charge off of the bill. I stated that it does not matter who she knows or where she was sitting, because she purchased food for herself. The staff member refused to do so, and the manager on duty approached us because the argument was getting loud. Attempting to diffuse the situation, the manager instructed the staff member to take off the gratuity. He responded by saying, "So I am not going to get paid tonight!" The manager told him that she would take care of him and make sure he got his money. After paying for the bill, I attempted to speak with the manager again, but she left the area.

When I spotted her again that night, I told her that as a customer, I was appalled that an employee would outright argue with me or anyone over how much gratuity should be left. I told her that even if I was dead wrong or lying, the customer is the one who is spending money at the hotel. I also shared with her, that I was shocked, she would make an offer to 'make sure he gets paid' in front of me. I felt like her gesture invalidated what I thought of his service. She explained that she has to count up their tips and that it is not much for the work they are doing. I explained that I cannot speak for all the customers, but my family tips well if the service is good. (As I mentioned above, I did think his service was good until this incident). My wife who has worked as a waitress throughout her college years also said that any employee who argued with a customer at her restaurant would have been fired on the spot. The manager then said that they could deliver any food we order from here on out to our rooms, which I declined. She then apologized for the incident.

The following night (the 6th), my family and I again attended the manager's reception. Following the reception, I ordered dinner and appetizers for me and my wife. Several of my family members ordered some appetizers. We also decided to order pizza from Papa John's. Our food from the restaurant arrived around the same time that the pizza did, so we began eat. One of the bar tenders from that night's reception approached me and stated that we could not eat the pizza at these tables. She said that we could finish the restaurant food there (tables located next to the pond), but would have to wait to eat the pizza until we moved to another location. I then told her that we would not be moving because we just started eating both and that the manager's reception was over so there was only a few people left in the area. She then said that I need to speak to a manager and proceeded to take me over to the front desk. The manager on duty was not around so the front desk staff told me to just return to my dinner and they would send a manager if it was a problem.

My parents experienced an issue where a staff member offered to help with the business center printer and then they disappeared while my mother waited for him to return. When my mother approached the front desk again the manager on duty stated that they don't keep replacement ink cartridges on site and she returned to her desk without offering to print the file for my mother.

It is the little things that make a customer want to come back to a hotel and because my family is from Baton Rouge we often travel back to the area, but I think your staff did a poor job ensuring we would return to your hotel.

Room Tip: Each floor has multiple two room King Bed Suites with a sleeper sofa. They provide an extra door in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Craig V
JovelleBR, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Baton Rouge, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share this detailed feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize for the missteps in service that lead to an unpleasant stay. We know that it is the little things that set a hotel above the rest and we will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may show you the award-winning hospitality you have come to expect from our family of hotels. If we may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly. Thanks again for sharing your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Gainesville, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The last several times it was very hard to eat breakfast because of the way the line is set up. There are so many people there and only one line for breakfast with no lines to choose what you want. No one will help you and this last time I never got to eat at all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for providing insight on your recent experience at our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the hassle and frustration associated with crowding and long lines for breakfast. We look for reviews like yours to provide insight, and we will look into possible solutions to the flow of traffic in this area. The next time your travels bring you near, we would love for you to stay with us again and let us know how we are doing. Thanks again for sharing your comments. Have a great day.

Travelers are raving about these Baton Rouge hotels

Atlanta, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was by far the worst Hilton experience I have ever had! I used Hilton Honors points for my stay in Baton Rouge and the experience was definitely not a good use of the points. I checked in at 10:00 pm on Wed, 7/3. I was provided with an unfriendly greeting by Terrsell at the front desk. Terrsell was not helpful and somewhat rude when I checked in. It took longer than usual for her to check me in which was strange since there weren't any other guests at the front desk. I asked for a late check out time and she told me she could not guarantee that service for me. I informed her I was a Hilton Honors member and she said it didn't matter and I would need to check with the front desk in the morning to see if a late check out time was available. That did not make much sense to me but I didn't push the issue. I had just driven from Atlanta and was hungry so I asked about the hotel restaurant options. She stated the kitchen closed at 10pm since it was a slow night and they would not be able to accommodate me. I walked to the bar area and asked the restaurant employee if I could place an order to go and he told me that it would not be possible for me to do so since the restaurant was now closed. I felt like a nicer hotel would have made an exception and offered a few options instead of just saying no. I only wanted a salad which I believed would have been easy to prepare but instead I went to Chili's to order a salad to go. The quality of the room was a great disappointment. My room had an old musty smell and the furniture was dingy and dusty. There was dust caked up on all the air vents and I sneezed uncontrollably for my entire stay. I have stayed in other Embassy Suites and have had better quality rooms. This hotel definitely needs a major renovation. Terrsell did not provide me with details on how to access the complimentary wifi so I called the front desk for instructions. I thought it was unusual that there was no information in the room on accessing the internet. I forgot the name of the person I spoke with at the front desk but she told me I would need to pay $9.95 per day on each device. I explained that I was a Hilton Honors member and she said it didn't matter that I would still need to pay. I then explained that when I booked the reservation, the rep I spoke with indicated wifi would be complimentary. She placed me on hold and then provided me with the complimentary code. I'm not sure why she didn't provide me with the code when I first called but this situation just added to my frustration about the hotel. I was disappointed with the appearance of the bathroom as the sink had chip marks on it. The bathroom air vent was also very dirty and disgusting. When I took a shower, the water pressure was low and the tub was slippery. The anti-slip coating had worn off the tub so I had to place a towel in the tub to stand on in order to avoid falling. The breakfast area was ok but the quality of the food could have been a little better. I stopped by the front desk and spoke with Javelle who provided me with a late check out time. She was the friendliest person I encountered during my entire stay. This was my first visit to Baton Rouge and unfortunately it was not a good experience due to my stay at this hotel. I should have read the Yelp reviews prior to selecting this hotel but I thought this brand would be safe since I've had great experiences in other Embassy Suites Hotels. I plan on writing a letter to the Hilton Corporate office and will submit a review on Yelp to warn others before they book a reservation with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank Naima W
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay. We take all of our guests' feedback very seriously, and appreciate it as a valuable teaching tool. I have shared your comments with my entire team. I was very disappointed to learn that you did not receive the proper treatment when you first checked in and that your room was a disappointment to you. We rarely receive negative comments, so, when we do, we address any issues immediately with our team to ensure that the same mistakes are not repeated. Our corporate office will also receive a copy of your comments, so you can rest assured that these issues will be addressed.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the team at the property. We truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us, and we know that you have many places to choose from for your lodging needs. I would appreciate it if you could please give us another opportunity.

Thank you again for sharing your comments, and please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything else that I can do for you.
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The stay was very enjoyable. Accommodations were very clean and bed was very comfortable. Staff throughout the hotel were friendly and helpfull. The morning breakfast was tastefull and there was little waiting time to be served.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Houston, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The room was very dirty. The sheets on the bed had stains. The furniture was old and dirty. The room had a really bad smell. The check-in staff was not accommodating to the guest. A Gold Hilton Honors meant nothing at all to the staff. The room rate was more than the value of the hotel. I do not recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank Robert M
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in the area and we apologize for the housekeeping problems you experienced. Unclean rooms are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards and that our guests are 100% satisfied with their stay.

Again, I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope that next time you are in town, you give us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional service you deserve. Thank you once again for your comments.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The room layout was great and worked well for my family. The room itself was not in the best condition. The bathroom was beyond small and the shower head only sprinkled water - lukewarm water. The water never got hot enough for a good shower and the shower head didn't give off much water to shower with. The toilet paper was pretty bad also. The vent in the bathroom dripped condensation on your head and on the floor. The hotel charged $10 for internet which was excessive, especially given the price of the room. The complimentary breakfast was, however, very well done.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Vicksburg, United States
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My family and I have visited this beautiful property on several occasions in recent years. The lobby/atrim is unique with beautiful fish ponds and stone waterfalls. The property is always clean and very well kept. The entire staff is excellent. The complementary breakfast, with omelets made to order are awesome! Job well done! We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family