“Shocked”

Ranked #12 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Dallas, Texas
“Shocked”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I have stayed in many Embassy Suites over the years and have always been impressed with the accommadations. We were very disappointed with the Baton Rouge location.
The Hotel info channel advertizes that the hotel is "recently refurbished". That is not what we found. The furniture was very old and worn. There were multiple scratches and dings. The mini kitchen builtins were in worse shape that the sleeping area.
The bathroom door was rotting and in need of some paint.
When we made the reservation we requested a room that was away from the Interstate so that it would be quieter. We got a room in the back of the hotel. During the night, we hear a banging noise that repeated every 15 - 20 minutes all night long.
Even the breakfast was disappointing.
I will never stay at this location again.

Room Tip: Just because a hotel is part of a chain, don't trust that they will all be of the same quality.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
JovelleBR, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Baton Rouge, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I am sad to hear about the multiple inconveniences you experienced at our property. I have forwarded the information to the appropriate managers and I assure you, we are working diligently to identify and rectify departments to perfect our interior decor and make our facility more inviting.
I appreciate your feedback because it enables us to address specific areas for improvement. We hope that you reconsider staying with us again so that we can display our commitment to your comfort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Bloomington, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My daughter had a deactivated key and tried the doors of 808 and 806 (in case she had the wrong room). She was headed to the front desk when, upon a guest complaint, the manager Maureen, met her at the elevator and escorted her downstairs. Where she refused to allow her access to her room as she felt that her behavior was a security risk. My 17 year old, gave all the room information, my information our hilton honors (gold status) information. However they forced her to stay in the lobby in her swim suit until I got back to the hotel from my meeting. When I questioned her not allowing my daughter to identify the room and get a key made and have her escorted so she could apply proof. The manager was extremely disrespectful to me and insisted that she had followed protocol. When I asked why they did not call me, she said that it was not her job. When I told her that I was going to file a complaint she stated that she "hoped I did". No matter how much I normally enjoy Embassy Suites. Maureen made our experience horrendous. Disrespecting a young guest and a Hilton Gold member! Customer service gets an UNACCEPTABLE from me!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Suzanne F
JovelleBR, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Baton Rouge, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you felt in any way uncomfortable. This is not typical of our hotel and staff. Every guest is very important to us, so I have addressed there issues with our team. Our key policy is that if a guest has lost or misplaced their room key they need to provide a valid method of identification in order to obtain a copy of the key. However, we could have handled it in a better way. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience what Embassy Suites is known for: truly award-winning hospitality. Thank you once again for your comments.

Travelers are raving about these Baton Rouge hotels

Orange County, California
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I chose this hotel because I wanted a Hilton hotel near downtown Baton Rouge.It is located in a row of other hotels (Holiday Inn, Hyatt, etc., literally right next to each other) There is plenty of parking in a front lot. The rooms all face a center atrium area, so it is a square design inside. I arrived early after two flights and an hour plus drive from New Orleans and waited several minutes for the front desk clerk to acknowledge me (she was engaged in a personal conversation with two of the housekeeping staff - the bellman took the time to greet me when he noticed this, which was a good catch on his part I thought). I asked if I could check in as I needed to change clothes and attend a business meeting downtown. She advised there were no rooms ready. She was not particularly friendly, but did direct me to a restroom where I could change. Several hours later I returned and there was another employee there. She was wonderful. She was outgoing and friendly and would have given me a much different first impression. She checked me in quickly and told me about the happy hour and free breakfast in the morning. My room was spacious and clean. It had a sitting area and desk, a small kitchenette with a microwave, refrigerator and coffee / tea maker, and a separate bedroom. My only complaints were that there was no shampoo (apparently they ran out) and one of the towels was pretty threadbare. The atrium was very nice with koi ponds (giant goldfish) and a small waterfall. Breakfast included an omelette bar (in addition to cold cereal, fruits, bacon, grits, breads, etc.), and the chef was very nice and made a pretty good omelette. The business center was very convenient - accessible by room key - with a printer available (which I needed and was very grateful for). There is a small fitness center with a couple of treadmills, a cycling machine and a full body cardio machine as well as some free weights. Small, but functional and nice with towels and water available. There is an indoor pool, as well. I could hear freeway traffic all night, so I would request a room on the back side of the hotel if it is available. The elevators (two banks of two on either side of the atrium) are pretty slow, so I used the stairs on several occasions - it's good exercise anyway! With the exception of the first front desk employee, the staff was all nice and helpful, and the guests were diverse - from other business travelers to families with small children. Based on convenience (it is literally less than a mile from a number of businesses (Albertsons grocery store, WalMart, Starbucks, Chik-fil-A, Taco Bell, Office Depot (I think), Walgreens, McDonalds, a gas station and the onramp to the 10 freeway), it is ideally situated. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side face the 10 freeway, separated only by an access road - you may want to requ...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Here is an account of our family's experience at the Baton Rouge Embassy Suites. Perhaps reading this will save you and your family from a similar fate.

When I called to book a room, I was told that there were no more rooms available at the government rate. However, when I looked online, the price quoted was a government rate. Not sure what happened there.

We booked the room online, checked in and went upstairs.  Well, we tried to anyway.  Two of the four elevators were broken, so we had to wait 5 minutes for an elevator to arrive.

When we made it to our room, we unloaded and put the kids to bed. When I went to move the desk chair out of the way, I saw that there was stuck-on something on the armrests. The fold-down couch had sheets but no blanket. So, my husband waited five more minutes for the elevator to return to our floor, and went to retrieve an additional blanket.

He returned and we were finally able to turn in. When we climbed into our bed, we felt something gritty. When we pulled down the covers, we saw hair (plural) and crumbs of food. When I called down to the front desk, I also saw that the phone was *filthy* with actual grime and hair stuck to the receiver and phone base. We were told that because there was only one person on staff, we needed to come and get a new set of sheets. (The night manager offered us a room change, but our children were already asleep so we could not.)

The night manager was very apologetic and eager to help make the situation right. She gave us a new set of sheets but there were no blankets in the housekeeping room.  My husband waited while she hunted around and called the security guard. She tried to help, but neither she nor the security guard had a master key to open other rooms to obtain additional blankets. So, we took what we had and stripped and remade the bed.

A few notes:

The bathrooms are *tiny*.  To illustrate, if you are sitting on the toilet, you will not be able to shut the door without hitting your knees. FYI, I am 5'2" tall. Also, the toilet made strange noises all night long. Water was dripping down the side of the tank as well. I assume the two issues were related.  The paint on the bathroom door is dingy looking and peeling and the handle to one of the armoire doors in our room was broken off.

There is a huge gap under the door which is a: very unsafe and b: very obnoxious, as you hear *every* noise that happens in the hotel.

Additionally, the walls must be very thin because we heard *everything* our neighbors did. I admire their stamina. I will leave it at that.

The hotel is located right off the highway. While the location is convenient for travelers, the lack of proper soundproofing results in guests hearing all of the highway noise.

Morning...

After waiting 5 minutes for an elevator, we went down for breakfast in the morning, the man at the gate scowled and told us, "You all better hurry up 'cause I'm closing this down in 1 1/2 minutes. "

The night manager had offered to comp us a meal in the restaurant, so I went to the front desk to ask about it. I explained to the woman there that the night manager offered to comp our family a meal at the restaurant when it opened at 10:00. She scowled at me and said that we hadn't been charged for anything. I told her that our room was comped. She began asking questions about what happened. I gave her a brief explanation and asked her again how we might go about having a meal. She yelled at me saying, "I told you you're not being charged for anything." I explained the situation once again.    She snarled, "Comping you a meal and *going* to comp you a meal are two different things. You need to be clearer." I apologized and told her that my family was hungry and asked again how we might have a meal. She gave me a $25 credit. I told her that we had a family of four. She said, "Well what exactly were you planning on eating?" I told her that I had never been there before, so I didn't know what they served or how much it cost. She replied that she needed to make a phone call and for me to go away, figure out what we were going to order, and come back later.

Thankfully, the people at the breakfast buffet served my husband and children eggs and pancakes while I was at the front desk.  After they had eaten, we packed up our things and attempted to leave.

As we walked down the hall to try and catch the elevator, a cleaning lady looked at us, grabbed her cart,  ran into the elevator and closed the doors in front of us. We waited ten minutes to get another elevator. After sprinting to the elevator on the opposite side of the hotel, we were thankfully able to leave.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank jmhoTexas
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 5, 2012

On the 3 nights we spent Fri-Sun at this hotel there were too many kids. We have stayed here numerous times, I was not too happy to see that the Youth Baseball, Soccer and other sports
were staying here the same nights. This is the second time in recent months where the hotel
was full of youth running here and there. I prefer to stay at relatively quiet hotel locations.
The breakfast area was over run with kids who have no regard for others as they run around.

Another area of concern is the charge for internet connection. ($9.95 24 hr)
Every hotel I have stayed over the last many years had free internet at least in the lobby.
Many of the hotels connected to the Hilton Chain have free wifi. I had seen something on the
web about Embassy putting in free wifi, Maybe this only applied to Non Franchise Hotels for Embassy.

I went to the business center to print a route map and both computers were not up to speed.
I rebooted one myself and this did not help the internet connection.. When I was finally able
to reach the screen I wanted to print the two printers were not functioning properly. One would not print at all and the other only printed 1/2 of the page. I may have to rethink about staying here in the future.

I hope this location gets it act together

Room Tip: You may call ahead before staying here to see of it is booked with any youth sport teams.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Would not stay here again. Older building, was overrun by a girl's softball tournament and the hotel was obviously understaffed. First we notice the toilet ran REALLY slow and they finally sent an engineer after two calls (which was funny when we looked across the atrium we could see him just standing there until we made the 2nd call and then he came to our room). He said that the toilets just run slow, nothing he could do. Then I realized I could not find a blanket for the sofa bed for my kids and there was only 3 sets of towels for 4 people who all need to shower because we had been hot and sweaty earlier in the day. First, I tried calling housekeeping, it went to voice mail. Then I called the front desk, they said "isn't it in the drawer under the TV?" no, that's why I called, especially since housekeeping wasn't answering. Twenty minutes later I went down to the front desk and was given the extra towel and found I was there with another guy who also had been waiting for a blanket. Front dest said that they would be coming. Got it another 15-20 min. later. On the way back to my room from the front desk, a large family group was sitting outside their rooms, apparently they had been waiting an hour for someone to fix the door's card reader so they could get into the rooms, I gave them my condolences. Room showed lots of signs of wear and some things that had been replaced (i.e.-bad toilet, newer sink). Lighting was very dim. Breakfast food was good, but disorganized and the number of tables to hotel rooms ratio was low.

Room Tip: Get up early to fight the rush at breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Beautiful hotel in good location. The staff were all helpful and polite. No problems at all... except that breakfast was like a rugby scrum. No organization and took forever. Breakfast was included in the price of the room, for me, so I decided to take advantage of it. Apparently, the idea was that you formed a line and, at the front, told one of two chefs what you would like and they made it for you. This might have worked with a dozen guests, but not with a hundred. It was pure chaos. The buffet was hidden to one side, obscured by the milling throngs. It was hard to find plates and the buffet items were not replenished frequently enough. It really needed a manager to help people to find what they needed and to keep everything running smoothly. Everyone was very friendly, just disorganized. I hope they fix this problem soon because it's an excellent way to lose business.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business