“Less the expectations the better...”

Baton Rouge Marriott
Ranked #47 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
“Less the expectations the better...”
Reviewed February 24, 2011

I am a business traveler and offen stay at this Marriott. You are immediately hit with the smell of a tanning salon as soon as you walk in the door. If you're lucky Joan at the front desk will take great care of you. I will miss Joan the most since I will no longer be staying here. Beginning at 9PM and until I demanded that I change rooms at 12:30AM, I was consistently awakened by the loudest whistle noice I have ever heard which would last five to ten minutes at a time. I was given another room to walk in and find the bathroom ceiling falling down all over the bathroom. Finally, the third time is a charm, and I was moved to another room to get settled and back in bed by 1:30AM. The hotel rooms always seem very damp and humid and after multiple stays I still have not found a happy medium with the thermostat in any room I have stayed. Thank you Joan for your hospitality, but I will now be staying at the new Residence Inn off Corporate Blvd.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Conroe, Texas
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Overall it was a good stay. The location was great, the staff (particularly Amber at the front desk) was very friendly and helpful. The food was fine. Room and bed were comfortable and clean. The only issues I had was sometimes the noise from the highway was a little loud, but I used earplugs the second & third nights so that was fine. Also my room was near the elevator so there was some noise there. Also, i think it was the heat/ac but every now and then a very high pitched noise would be heard in the room. Not the end of the world but a little annoying.

But overall it was very nice, I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Framingham, MA
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I booked a last minute room at a $160 rate because I passed by it on my from the BR airport. The booking process was quick per Marriott's site being easy to navigate. I'm a gold member so I stay in hotels often. Anyways, I walk into my room, and I get hit with a musty mildewey smell. I walk into the bathroom and the toilet looks like that my 4 year old daughter's day care toilet. The bathroom was very small for it not being a major city's hotel. The vanity was small and cramped. Anyways, I checked out the next morning because I was too tired to ask for another room. This should have been checked.

The hallways were pretty outdated compared to other Marriott's I've stayed in. I guess this one has yet to be refurbished.

The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful. No complaints there.

Overall, was an ok hotel. Since I'm gold, I had access to the Concierge lounge and the food was good. I also quickly got some breakfast in the morning and it was ok.

The bed was just awesome. I knocked out in a matter of minutes with no interruption in sleep (beers probably helped!).
Just didn't sit well with this hotel being a full service Marriott, and the mold smell was overlooked. I can understand that in lesser chain, but full service Marriott?

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank travelover69
New Orleans
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Was at the hotel for a conference. Did not stay over night but ate lunch at the resturant. $12 50 for a McDonald's hamburger + 15 french fries. And, to make it worst, it wasn't much better tasting than a McDonald. Big rip-off.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Wrapping up a long day on the road, heading back home to New Orleans, exhaustion took hold and I realized I had to stop for the night, despite being so close to my destination. I saw the Marriott off the highway, and headed there. The women at the front desk were incredibly helpful and friendly. I had a key in my hand in less than five minutes. The next morning, when my bill was slipped under my door, I discovered that (perhaps out of pity, I don't know) they had given me a 20% discount.

The room was large, and maybe the cleanest hotel room I have ever been in. The bed was very comfortable. The woman who answered the phone and took down my request for a wake-up call was extremely courteous, and the call came on time.

The only negative is that the hotel is right next to I-10, and we could hear the traffic all night, even up on the 9th floor. I suppose it was no different from what you would hear staying a downtown hotel in any major city, but one does not necessarily associate Baton Rouge with unmitigated hustle and bustle, particularly at all hours of the night. And, in fact, I have stayed at the Baton Rouge Hilton, which is downtown, and did not have the same experience with outside noise. But all in all, a minor blip to a wonderful stay when I needed it most.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Before I switched to the Hilton hotel I lived at the Marriot Hotel for 3 months. I was cared for at best. All the staff members would know my name as soon as I walked in, went into the concierge lounge, dined in at the restaurant, or simply went to the front desk for anything I needed. They were always more than willing to go out of their way to accommodate me at best.

Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
biloxi
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I travel alot - and for this stay nothing seen to go right.
As we unloaded our luggage to enter hotel (9 pm), my family and I were approached in parking lot unloading car by someone wanting money. Very uncomfortable! I alerted staff (at check in-clerk) and was informed that this happens all the time at their hotel and that there is no security until 10 pm.
The hot tub was not working - and was told that it had been turned off due to the cold weather (3 weeks prior).. and not turned back on.
The hotel is conveniently located, but the noise from the highway and interior hallway traffic (people talking at normal levels) were very distracting especially from a Marriott Hotel product.
Finally, we had given the desk clerk upon check in a $100 Marriott Bons Bucks coupon to be applied to the guest room rate, but upon check-out it could not be located. Through some effort and warm conversation, we got the $100 applied to the room, but have wondered where the original certificate went ?
I do not intend to be back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family