“Friendliest, most helpful staff I've encountered in a long time.”

Baton Rouge Marriott
Ranked #44 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Louisiana
“Friendliest, most helpful staff I've encountered in a long time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

Service was excellent. Staff was most helpful, going beyond just good service. Overall good experience.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank libby1983

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Delray Beach, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed there on business for a couepl of day. Service and room was great. The concierge lounge and staff were fantastic. Easiky accesible to the highway and convenient.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank DelrayMitch
Baton Rouge, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2009

1. Service: I usually don't care much about the hotel's service unless it's particularly bad, but this one was a very pleasant surprise. Twice in this two night stay have hotel staff offered to do something for me that I didn't ask which was both helpful and unexpected. For example, I called down to inquire about wi-fi access when I only saw $10/24-hr charge option, and I only needed it for a few hours. Without my asking, they offered to have me accept the $10 charge and they would remove it immediately. Immediate and favorable solution. Likewise, my wife and I were heading down to the pool in the elevator. A staff member asked us if we would need additional towels and had them sent to our room before we got back. All around friendly service at every stage. Free lemondade and fruit-infused water in the lobby is another nice touch.

2. Location: Baton Rouge is a driving city, so you're either downtown or here. I've lived here for a few years and am returning, so I can say with confidence that the best food is definitely in this neighborhood, not downtown. Downtown has some of the worst restaurants in the city, in my opinion. This is also the nicest hotel in town away from the casinos in case you consider those smokey boats a negative like I do. However, the hotel's right next to the highway, and even on the 16th floor, I can hear the traffic loud and clear.

3. Rooms: Very spacious but bathrooms are very small. Older hotel that must have been updated but they never seemed to expand the bathroom.

4. Restaurant suggestions: For something upscale, try Mansur's on the Boulevard about a block away. For upscale Italian, try Gino's: left on College and just a few blocks past I-10. For casual, the best Lebanese in town is 2 blocks away at Albasha's. There's a Whole Foods further down the same street that has a casual eating area. I've never tried the restaurant in the hotel.

5. Pool/jacuzzi. Both are outside and just okay. They just finished a renovation, so hopefully they will make it somewhat more private again. They still need to re-put up a barrier so everyone coming from the parking lot can't see you in the pool or jacuzzi.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank BRTraveler-7
Irvine, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2008

I checked into the Marriott for a two-week business stay. I was surprised that a hotel of this size didn't have valet. It was only unfortunate in the sense that it snowed in Baton Rouge, and my rental car had no snow removing tools.

The lobby was very pretty and had gorgeous Christmas decorations. I appreciated walking in and out of the lobby when I had to be on travel during one of my favorite seasons. It is a good thing that the lobby is nice because the elevators are 35 years old, so sometimes you have to wait 7-8 minutes for an elevator ride.

The room was okay, but the hotel is showing some wear.

My two biggest complaints:
1) Internet services is $9.95/day and is VERY slow. Calling tech support doesn't help. They just blame your computer. I told them that the service constantly disconnects. They kept repeating the system was fine. I tried two computers without success.
2) The room service is awful. Just to make sure, I tried it six times. No matter what I ordered, it was below average.

Best things:
1) Free parking.
2) Friendly staff.

• Liked — Free parking.
  • Disliked — Horrible room service and poorly working internet services.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Baton Rouge hotels

Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

This Marriott, which apparently used to be a Hilton given that it is on Hilton Avenue, has clearly renovated its rooms fairly recently, and it is a very nice hotel overall. Staff was friendly and helpful. However, the night I checked in I came down the elevator to be greeted by an employee who was clearly shocked that the elevator I was in actually worked. As it turns out, the buttons would not send you up, but you could go down. To top this off, the second of the three elevators was permanently "open" and nonworking. Thus, from the lobby, you could not go up until someone else came down. Very inconvenient, and two people whom I shared an elevator with said this was a common problem.

My other problem was a nonworking phone; thus, no wake-up call. I could not figure out the clock alarm, which was a first for me. Fortunately, keeping the drapes somewhat opened allowed dawn to awaken me.

Finally, the TV's are old, and I really detest having to pay for internet service.

Otherwise, the furniture and bedding were very nice, I had a good view, and again, the staff was nice and helpful.

• Liked — Furnishings and view
  • Disliked — Broken elevators; paying for internet
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2008

I lived in Baton Rouge in the 1970s when this hotel was a Hilton. It looks the same as the day it opened. Old dated lobby-- same furniture (that is falling apart). Halls look old and smell. Rooms are dated as well -- very very small bathrooms--- Property needs 10's of millions of dollars spent on it. I am surprised that Marriott allows their name to be on the property

• Stayed October 2008
Woodbridge, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for the first time in August of 2005 for my Honeymoon night. This year I booked the hotel because it was our 2nd anniversary and my first trip back home to Baton Rouge since our wedding. I thought it would more special to stay where we'd spent our first night as man and wife. Back then the hotel's appearance was much the same. We noticed however that there were cracks in the marbled floor and on one area we stepped on a very wobbly tile. The elevator also was in need of repair. Although it worked, the doors did not close all the way. I personally did not care to see each floor we past as we went up 16 stories to our room. I book Marriott often expressly for the lushness of their beds. When we arrived this bed was very low to the ground, not the usual high king-size we had before and at every other Marriott we stayed in. When we sat on it, it was way too soft and felt more like a baby's bouncy chair than a mattress. When we inquired about the change we were given the option to see another room, which happen to be across the hall. This time the room was as I remembered high bed, nice bedding, etc. The bed still was still too bouncy, but the room had the refrigerator that I'd requested when I booked my room. I believe I was given the wrong room initially. The quality of the hotel has deterierated considerably and we will not be staying there in the future. For all the money we paid they don't even offer free high-speed internet!

• Liked — The pillows on the bed.
  • Disliked — The bed itself.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple