“Best hotel on trip”

Richmond Inn & Suites-Baton Rouge College Drive
Ranked #19 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Can't say enough about this hotel. Huge suite room with full kitchen and living area, roomy bedroom and enormous bathroom with hot tub and walk-in shower.

Outdoor pool and basketball court. Great staff.

I missed the 9 a.m. cutoff for the free breakfast but still was able to get food and coffee with the help of the desk clerk.

Free computer room. Very quiet and very clean. I could have stayed for days ..

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Monty002
19068, Front Office Manager at Richmond Inn & Suites-Baton Rouge College Drive, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. I am glad that you were still able to get something to eat, and some coffee.
We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

One of the best hotels in this area. Excellent service,and accomodating.Beautiful room and grounds. Pool is wonderful and refreshing. The free horderves were very delicious. Our trip was during a large section of I10 being blocked off. The front desk staff were so nice. They gave us the best way to get to the hotel over the phone and explained lots of information with us. The hotel was great and we will be staying again when in the area!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank southernchelz
19068, Front Office Manager at Richmond Inn & Suites-Baton Rouge College Drive, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you for leaving feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We have recently added new items to our complimentary h’orverves, and are glad that you enjoyed them. We will pass your compliments to our front desk staff, and are pleased to know that we have succeeded in providing you with expert customer service.
We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Our stay was HORRIBLE from the beginning to the end. We started off with a "room with a bad smell", then the bathroom was extremely small with the door opening into it. I asked to hav ethe pool cleaned, the next day pool is still cloudy. My son played basketball and the front desk clerk spoke to the children rude and hard not seeing me sitting under the gazebo. She attempted to intimidate me in some manner when we discovered that she was in error. The ice machine did not work in my building. The noise from the highway is a bit loud and annoying.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
19068, Front Office Manager at Richmond Inn & Suites-Baton Rouge College Drive, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. We had issues with our pool system, and have addressed these issues promptly. We have had a saline pool system installed, and this appears to have been a successful solution. Some of our guest rooms are in close proximity to the basketball court. It is important for us to provide a comfortable stay for all of our guests, and any noise complaints in the evening from guests in these rooms are addressed promptly. I will speak with our clerks to ensure that this is also handled courteously. Our guest rooms are spread out within five different buildings. One side of one of these buildings faces the interstate. When any of the guests in the appx 20% of rooms near the interstate alert our front desk that they are disturbed by the noise, we are more than happy to move them to a room in one of the other buildings if one is available. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Hotel is right off I-10. My room overlooked the Highway, and there was a considerable amount of traffic noise. The Hotel consists of a number of separate 2 story buildings with no elevators. Building ‘B’ borders the Highway. The girl at the front desk seemed a bit “cold”, but nothing serious.

I arrived late at night and made my way up the stairs to my room. The buildings have key card operated hallway doors. The door in my Building was always unlocked.

The room was very nice. Very clean, including the carpets. Large wall mounted flat screen TV with 70 channels. Fridge, but no Microwave. The work desk was nice with available outlets, and good lighting. The bed was clean and comfortable. AC / Heat unit was fairly quiet, and cooled the room nicely. The free internet connection was fast & reliable.

Bathroom was clean, no mold, or stains, but the shower was way to hot. Turning it to cold didn’t work. The faucet would not give cold water. There was cold water in the sink, so it had to be the shower faucet. I reported it on the second day, and when I next turned on the water, there was no change. I ended up washing in the sink on my last night.

After shaving, I used a water glass to rinse out the sink. When I returned the next day, the same glass was there. Housekeeping doesn’t carry dish washing supplies with them, so what do they use to clean drinking glasses? I surely won’t use them to drink from. There are wrapped paper cups in the rooms also, so you’ll be OK.

The Free Breakfast was above most Hotels. A buffet with a good selection of hot & cold items.

The Hotel is OK, but does not deserve the “Plus” rating. Just don’t climb in the shower before you check it, keep your door locked, and don’t use the glassware.

Room Tip: Rooms with ODD numbers in Building 'B' Border the Highway, and are quite noisy. Rooms in a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JimDavisHouston
19068, Front Office Manager at Richmond Inn & Suites-Baton Rouge College Drive, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. We're happy that you enjoyed your room, and apologize for the issues with your water temperature. I will look into this to ensure that any problems with the water temperature from the bathtub faucet is addressed. Only one of our room types does not come equipped with a microwave, and those room types additionally only have the wrapped paper cups. Our suites come equipped with glasses, dishes, the dishes are cleaned and there is also a dishwasher in these suites as well as dishwashing liquid. I hope that you visit us again and invite you to try one of our suites.
Thank you, again, for your feedback.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Our stay here was mostly enjoyable and there were only a couple of small things we were dissatisfied with. Saying that we arrived at a very hectic time with Hurricane Isaac cutting off people from their homes, flooding peoples homes, cutting off power for thousands of people and the first LSU Tigers football game of the season.

I feel somewhat that the problems we faced were minor in comparison with what some people faced after the Hurricane and feel like complaining is petty but then on the other hand I feel if I do not provide feedback the hotel does not have a chance to improve.

We travelled from Australia via Dallas to Baton Rouge on 30 August 2012 and were unfortunately delayed in Dallas as our flight to Baton Rouge was cancelled on account of Hurricane Isaac. We were booked into the hotel from 30 August 2012 until 4 September 2012. We contacted the hotel and expedia (our booking agent) to advise we would be one day late.

We got on a plane the next day and arrived on 31 August 2012. We travelled straight for the airport via taxi and arrived early the next morning to see if we could get into our room. Due to the Hurricane things were a big chaotic and our room had been rebooked so we were advised that we would need to wait until our room was available. That was no problem for us and completely understandable. We asked for some advice regarding breakfast and were told about Another Broken Egg down the road which served an amazing breakfast for us. When we walked back we asked about taxi's and were told about the phone around the corner in the lobby/foyer area of the hotel. My husband tried to call the displayed number but couldn't get through. We advised reception and were told it was probably the phone lines. My husband was handed a phone book and told to find another taxi company. Now being from Australia we didn't have a clue about telephone extensions, phone numbers,area codes etc so this was a bit of a task but we managed to overcome it. There was only one person on reception and the phones were ringing hot so I can understand why this was done but it would have been nice to be given some direction or assistance.

Second thing... breakfast. There was nothing in the room stating when breakfast started and finished so I rang on Saturday morning to enquire. We were told breakfast finished at 10am. Monday morning we showed up at 9.20am and were told that breakfast finished at 9am. We had not been told that it was 10am on weekends and 9am on week days. We walked back down to the Broken Egg but being labour day there was no way we could get in there so we had to walk all the way back down the street in the opposite direction to get something to eat from subway. Maybe it would be a good idea to hand out a flyer to guests as they check in with these details, or maybe put something in the room for the information of guests? The compendium needs more information.

It seems that Baton Rouge does not have a lot of foreign tourists and they didn't know how to properly deal with us? The staff were very friendly and welcoming but when questioned about tourist attractions didn't have a lot of informaton and appeared to be lost. One girl in particular went out of her way to try to google some information for us but it was hard to find. I guess you can't cater for everyone and it makes sense that you should cater for the majority of your market, we just weren't it.

We didn't have a vehicle so used local taxis a couple of times and the drivers were always friendly and welcoming. On our second last day the hotel did put us onto a shuttle driver named Brad. He was an incredibly friendly man who bent over backwards to help us. He took us to the USS Kidd and dropped us off on our second last day and while talking with him I mentioned I wanted to see a southern plantation mansion, something like Tara from Gone with the Wind. He dropped us back at the hotel and spent the afternoon doing some research for me to find the perfect one, rang us back in the afternoon and made arrangements to take us there the next day before taking us to the airport. He couldn't have been more helpful. He was genuinely interested in our country and our culture and we swapped stories and details.

In saying all of the above, we were made to feel very welcome and everyone was very friendly in Baton Rouge. There is a lot to be said for good old southern hospitality.

We would return here again.. in fact we plan to return here again as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Next time I will try to get a room with a kitchen so I can organise some self catering. If you don...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
19068, General Manager at Richmond Inn & Suites-Baton Rouge College Drive, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

We are very glad that you chose to stay at our hotel while visiting Baton Rouge. I want to than you for leaving feedback, whether good or bad, as we do look at it as a chance to improve whenever and wherever possible. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with our hotel during your stay around Hurricane Isaac. The hotel was out of power for about two days and we were not able to have all of our staff reach the hotel for their shifts due to flooding and street and home damage. I apologize that we were short staffed due to this. We also had all of our refrigerated and frozen food go bad during the outage and our supplier tried the best that they could to re-stock our kitchen. All of our rooms should have a guest binder in it with all information about the hotel (including breakfast information) and the Baton Rouge area information and attractions. If this was not in the room, I will find out why and correct this immediately with our executive housekeeper. Our breakfast is open Mon-Fri from 6:00am-9:00am and on Sat-Sun from 7:00am to 10:00am. We also have a large brochure display in our hotel lobby and our front desk staff just completed Baton Rouge's Seein' Red program designed to help our staff understand and properly communicate what there is to see and do in Baton Rouge. I apologize if this was a problem and will make sure that they get a review on these things. Again, I apologize for any issues that you incurred during your stay and will follow up with everything to ensure that these issues are not repeated. We hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again the next time that you are in Baton Rouge.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked a suite for 2 nights and 3 days and our room was nothing but problems and lacked a feeling of cleanliness. From the moment we checked into the room until we left, one problem after another came our way. The balcony was littered with cigarette butts,beer tabs and bottle tops. The living room tv was "snowing" the entire time we were there. The bathroom outlet was blown and we were unable to use the blow dryer or electric razor. The shower pole was bent and falling out of the wall mount thus the curtain would not stay in place but fell to the middle of pole thus spraying water out on the floor. The furniture in the living room was torn, old and not what I would sit on. We left the manager a list of our problems at check out and were told we would hear from her later. Did not hear from anyone...yet! She did state that our room was one of the suites that had yet to be renovated. She stated she was unsure how we were given this room and we must have silpped through because this room was generally not rented out.

Room Tip: Make sure it is a room that has been renovated.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
19068, General Manager at Richmond Inn & Suites-Baton Rouge College Drive, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. It is efforts like this that let us know how we are doing, both good and bad. I would like to apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay and I assure you that I will do my best to follow up with every department to correct these issues so that they do not happen again. I will investigate why housekeeping and maintenance did not report/correct any of the issues that you encountered and also find out why the front desk did not report any of these items. I will also follow up to make sure that the front desk supervisor received your letter. She will be contacting you shortly. I also want to ensure that you know that we do not avoid renting any rooms in our hotel and that we hold the same standards in all of our rooms. Again, I apologize for not meeting your expectations and will ensure that all of the issues that you encountered will be corrected. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to stay with us the next time that you are in Baton Rouge.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Driving from Orlando to Dallas with three kids, we stopped for one night at Best Western Plus. We were pleasantly surprised how large the rooms were with such comfortable beds. We had driven with the family from Orlando so we needed a quiet place to relax for the night before we headed back to Dallas. This hotel reminded me of home, with a small kitchen area, with a stove, and full size refrigerator, it even had a large t.v. area separate from the bedroom. I felt like I was sleeping on clouds in the comfortable bed. We would definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
19068, General Manager at Richmond Inn & Suites-Baton Rouge College Drive, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I am glad to hear that you thought of us as home as we try to make every guest feel that way whether they are here one night or several nights. We take all guest feedback to heart and see it as a opportunity for improvement, so that you for your comments. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Please let us know the next time that you are in Baton Rouge and we will be happy to make another reservation.