“Great old hotel”

Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center
Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel on the river downtown. Valet parking a must. Higher is better with a river view away from traffic sounds. We left something in room. Staff secured it and FEDEX 'd it right out. Always seems to be under construction but you cannot usually tell. We would stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed June 11, 2014

The Hilton Baton Rouge is a very decent place to stay if you want to be downtown. It has an old fashioned look and feel to it, but some part of it, like the bar and the restaurant have a modern feel with all the things you would want from them

I especially enjoyed the breakfast. It was a buffet style with all high quality items. It had the usual stuff like cereal and fruit, etc. but I found the home made marmalades and jellies a nice touch.

What's strange is that I really liked the shower. I was a corner type, very cozy, with a tightly sealed door that made it nice and warm right away and a shower head that was just perfect. The temperature was easy to get exactly right. I've never reviewed a shower before, but that's the way I found it.

The rest was very good. Nice people, good service, decent everything.

About the only things I didn't like was the forced Valet parking. You had to have it if you brought a car. And the 5AM trash truck waking me up with loud banging I could have done without.

Room Tip: Get a river side room for a better view. Get a higher up room to minimize trash truck banging.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Burt V
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The hotel is very good. The location is awesome, the staff is very friendly and helpful and the accommodations are very good. However I found that my room wasn't clean very properly, something that made my stay less pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Barbara D
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The hotel is in the perfect location to the downtown area and offers great views of the Mississippi River. All of the staff- from the parking valets to the restaurant staff to the bell staff- were fantastic! The room was spacious and comfortable- all at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is the second time I've stayed at this Hilton and out of all the Hilton's this is my least favorite. Last time we stayed they were undergoing renovations and 4 years later, they seem to still be undergoing renovations.

What's good: the staff at the desk are friendly and pleasant and the restaurant and bar also have great people working there.
The location is very good, although be warned that all the restaurants downtown are closed on the weekend evenings so be prepared to drive somewhere else or eat at the hotel. The food is pretty excellent and the portions are huge!

What's not good: maid service and upkeep of pool area. I realize they are (still) undergoing remodeling but the pool area and the entire pool floor are abysmal. Filthy, with wet towels on most surfaces outside next to the pool, disheveled and broken chairs, trash laying around both outside next to the pool and all along the hallway leading from the elevators, to entrance. The bathrooms are disgusting as well, with little sign that anyone cleans or checks them at all. Very unpleasant and so disappointing since the view from the hotel pool deck is the Mississippi River and the levy and really beautiful.

Be prepared to deal with a lot of cigarette smoke at the pool. There is a designated smoking area but I suppose smokers seeing the general chaos of the pool area think it's a free for all and smoke where they please which is right next to the pool itself.

Maid service in the room is very haphazard as well. Despite having a do not disturb sign hanging on the door and verbally telling the room attendant we would need her to come back n the hallway because we were preparing for an event, our door was snatched open anyway. This was around 4 o clock in the afternoon. Stingy with the towels and when we came back that evening the room only had the bed made but nothing else replenished.

The bathroom is tiny and has thin double doors and no fan and I couldn't see evidence that there was ventilation although I know there must be since that would be against code. This was a renovated floor so I assume this isn't going to change. I like privacy in the bathroom. Zero privacy.

You can hear everything from your room going on in the hallway including normal toned conversation. You can hear people walking on the carpet. I don't want to hear those things. Zero privacy.

I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MelDef
Marcus H, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share this detailed feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointment and we will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience through property updates and service training. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Marcus Hennigan

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This hotel is convenient to the downtown area, restaurants, bars, casinos and government center. The staff are friendly and helpfull. Hotel is an old historic hotel and is currently undergoing renovations.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Hilton did a nice job remodeling this very old building. Don't expect brand new sparkling big box hotel, but rather an old historical building that has a lot of charm and a really good breakfast. If you know Baton Rouge isn't exactly a tourist attraction, then you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple