“Excellence”

Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Houston, Texas
“Excellence”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Hilton Baton Rouge in Capitol Center. The Hilton hotel brand continues to keep their standards high and their rates reasonable. Every City I travel to, I look for a Hilton prior to my arrival. They are always my first choice!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Dallas
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was in and out for business, great service, food and location for visiting Baton Rouge and business. Surrounding area is filled with interesting historical character. The hotel looked like it was being upgraded so it will be interesting to see what they are doing when I get back.

Room Tip: Great river views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had a very nice junior king suite overlooking the river with access to the executive club. I would stay at this hotel again, but would make sure I knew where I wanted to go as the staff couldn't direct me. Once I asked valet about a historial location. He said he wasn't sure, but thought it might be.... The valets were all nice, however. We asked the man in the executive club about the trolley. He didn't know. I called the front desk the next morning and they didn't know about the trolley, but switched me to the concierge who never answered the phone. Found it one block over. Had a wonderful narrated tour-free. Runs 10:30-2:30. I was impressed with the service at the bar. Very nice lady bartender. Housekeeping--needs LOTS of instructions for this quality of hotel. Clean towels were left sitting on the counter in the bathroom. Coffee was not replenished, dirty glasses weren't removed nor clean ones left. Dirty linens are left in the hallways outside all rooms until after 3:00 in the afternoon. Don't know why they weren't removed when the rooms were serviced in the morning. Maid knocked on our door at 8:45 on the morning of checkout which isn't until noon. I suggest putting the "Do Not Disturb" sign out the night before you are leaving.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DeQuincy, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The security, front desk, and room server were very polite respectful people! The only problem I had was with housekeeping remembering to refill toilet paper and leave extra towels. VERY comfortable beds!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel offers first class excellent service in a historic location with view of the Mississippi River. All accommodations and service were excellent. The bar was well stocked and staff knowledgeable. Has a happy hour and late night/early morning courtesy coffee in the lobby. Pool deck has beautiful view of the river.

Seattle
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have always been cautious of booking at HIlton properties. They tend to be older and not as well kept as, say Marriot or Sheraton. That said, I was hoping for the best. On a positive note: The hotel is located in a great part of town, particularly if you are attending an event at Shaw Center, which we were. Also, I found that most of the staff were nice, Props to Grant at the front desk. I will get to the rest later.

The first thing I noticed when I got off the floor (7th) was how terribly dirty the carpet was. It seems at though they had not cleaned it in years. There were bleach spots all over the place, usually in front of the doors. Once we got to the room, the door was so heavy, my elderly mother could not open it.

When we got inside, the room was reasonably well appointed but smallish. We had a great view of the Mississippi River but there was only a chair for the desk, so you had to sit on the bed. This would have been fine if only one person was staying there. It was tight for three (3) people.

The two other issues which made this visit totally forgettable were: 1) Cleanliness and lack of response thereto; and 2) lack of hot water. As to the latter, I am not sure what was going on but the shower never got warm. Due to my problems re: #1, I did not report it. Apparently, it got better the last day we were there.

CLEANLINESS and HOTEL RESPONSE: As I feared, this HIlton fit the mold (no pun intended) of many other Hilton's I have visited. Really poor housecleaning. First thing I noticed when I saw the shower was mold around the bathtub. Also, the tub drained very slowly. Finally, the shower curtain lining was pink and dirty. It should have been changed.
Second, they needed to really dust. I am attaching a picture of the cobwebs on the furniture.

What was really unacceptable was that I reported the items to the front desk. First, to a short black guy who kind of dismissively said he would "take care of it" but never did. Second, I reported to Grant who, despite his great personality was unable or unwilling to resolve it. I

The final issue was check out. I wanted to switch payment to my debit card and it threw them, I suppose, despite it being a very easy transaction. Apparently, there was an issue with Hilton's system and they had to recalculate my bill. It took two employees including a very snippy supervisor to fix it. Still not sure if they got it completely right but I so wanted to get out of there I didn't care at the time.

All in all, I wished I had stayed somewhere else but for the location.

Room Tip: River view is the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Marcus H, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointment and we will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction and welcome you to contact our offices directly if we may be of any additional assistance.

Marcus Hennigan
West Mornoe, United States
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I love my stay each time and every time!! I would not stay anywhere else in Baton Rouge. Thanks for each and every staff member for upholding the Hilton tradition of great service and putting out a great product. My family and I will be back! Thanks again for your hospitality and professionalism!