“Below Average”

Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center
Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have always been cautious of booking at HIlton properties. They tend to be older and not as well kept as, say Marriot or Sheraton. That said, I was hoping for the best. On a positive note: The hotel is located in a great part of town, particularly if you are attending an event at Shaw Center, which we were. Also, I found that most of the staff were nice, Props to Grant at the front desk. I will get to the rest later.

The first thing I noticed when I got off the floor (7th) was how terribly dirty the carpet was. It seems at though they had not cleaned it in years. There were bleach spots all over the place, usually in front of the doors. Once we got to the room, the door was so heavy, my elderly mother could not open it.

When we got inside, the room was reasonably well appointed but smallish. We had a great view of the Mississippi River but there was only a chair for the desk, so you had to sit on the bed. This would have been fine if only one person was staying there. It was tight for three (3) people.

The two other issues which made this visit totally forgettable were: 1) Cleanliness and lack of response thereto; and 2) lack of hot water. As to the latter, I am not sure what was going on but the shower never got warm. Due to my problems re: #1, I did not report it. Apparently, it got better the last day we were there.

CLEANLINESS and HOTEL RESPONSE: As I feared, this HIlton fit the mold (no pun intended) of many other Hilton's I have visited. Really poor housecleaning. First thing I noticed when I saw the shower was mold around the bathtub. Also, the tub drained very slowly. Finally, the shower curtain lining was pink and dirty. It should have been changed.
Second, they needed to really dust. I am attaching a picture of the cobwebs on the furniture.

What was really unacceptable was that I reported the items to the front desk. First, to a short black guy who kind of dismissively said he would "take care of it" but never did. Second, I reported to Grant who, despite his great personality was unable or unwilling to resolve it. I

The final issue was check out. I wanted to switch payment to my debit card and it threw them, I suppose, despite it being a very easy transaction. Apparently, there was an issue with Hilton's system and they had to recalculate my bill. It took two employees including a very snippy supervisor to fix it. Still not sure if they got it completely right but I so wanted to get out of there I didn't care at the time.

All in all, I wished I had stayed somewhere else but for the location.

Room Tip: River view is the best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Marcus H, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointment and we will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction and welcome you to contact our offices directly if we may be of any additional assistance.

Marcus Hennigan

There are newer reviews for Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I love my stay each time and every time!! I would not stay anywhere else in Baton Rouge. Thanks for each and every staff member for upholding the Hilton tradition of great service and putting out a great product. My family and I will be back! Thanks again for your hospitality and professionalism!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We have stayed here twice. Let's just say this grande dame will be getting a facelift over the coming year, and it is definitely needed. The rooms are a bit small and the furnishings are dated. On the other hand it has a definite history. It is a great hotel and its location downtown puts it where things are happening. During football seasons it is a great place to meet other LSU fans. The breakfast buffet is fabulous! The bar is excellent -- as is the coffee and pastry bar. If the designer's drawings on display are accurate, then the hotel will be truly lovely. Can't beat the view of the Mississippi River! Please note: there are showers only in the rooms, no bathtubs.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was really looking forward to our stay here, due to the location and ranking, but I was disappointed with the cleanliness and service. When we checked in there was food and dinnerware outside several rooms that remained there for hours. We were also excited about the pool and were surprised that the garbage can was OVERFLOWING and towels laying all over and there were less than 10 people on the pool deck, so it obviously wasn't picked up all day. The water was also salty, not sure if that is normal. They made the bed so that when you pull back the covers, the bottom sheet comes out too, The room was comfortable, but no frig, no microwave, no coffee.. We parked in a parking lot across the road for 5 dollars, no problems.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great stay, nice waterfront property, great customer service, convenient fine dining on the premises, and clean rooms! Would stay over and over again!!! Nice place for meetings and formal events! Full of charm!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed for one night en route to New Orleans. We booked a river view and upon check in the lady at the front desk said the river view room is not available so they offered us free parking... we paid more than the parking price for the river view! Then after stating our disappointment she decided that there was 1 river view room free...?! The room was dusty, the lamps did not work, the handle fell off the bathroom door and the drain in the bathtub was blocked... not a good start. The outcome was free dinner, drinks and buffet breakfast. We were grateful for this however we would have preferred to have got what we originally paid for in a clean room without the hassle for a 1 night stay! Disappointing for a Hilton chain, I would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Marcus H, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

I appreciate your candid review of your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for the room assignment not meeting your expectations as comfort and safety are our highest priority for our guests. While room type requests cannot be met every time, I have reviewed your comments with our front desk team so we may work to prevent similar experiences moving forward. I invite you to stay with us the next time your travel through our area and hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality hotel experience you deserve. Thank you, Marcus Hennigan

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, but the staff in the lobby could be a little more helpful. The room was dirty, as the shower tiles were moldy, carpets were dirty, and the furniture had stains on them. My lock on my door did not work, and the front desk did not help me with that despite my requests. The restaurant staff, and concierge were friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business