“Historic Hotel on the Mississippi” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center

Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center
Ranked #9 of 72 Hotels in Baton Rouge
terre haute, IN
“Historic Hotel on the Mississippi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The Hilton Baton rouge Capitol Center is a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location. It's within walking distance of teh great Louisiana Arts and Sceince Museum, the Shaw Cener, which houses teh LSU Art Museum as well as Gallleries, and many fabulous bars and eateries. The view of the river is spectacular. I stay at the Hilton when I'm in Baton Rouge and the staff is usually very friendly and helpful. During our last stay, we had issues with housekeeping; one day teh room wasn't made up at all and another day there were no towels, soaps, clean galsses, etc. But overall, it was a pleasant stay. The pillows are fabulous!

Room Tip: Request a riverview room, it's worth the extra 10-20 bucks!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank susiespy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Comfy bed, clean room, friendly staff and good service. I stayed here for a couple of nights while at the fabulous Louisiana State HR Conference. The fruit salad and the eggs benedict I had for breakfast were great :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DougShaw1
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This attractive hotel is decorated slightly differently to most Hiltons and was very clean and spacious. We had a fantastic view of the Mississippi. There are a number of bars and restaurants within walking distance. We also enjoyed drinks and appetisers in the hotel bar which were delicious. Staff very courteous. Would love to visit again.

Room Tip: Overlooking the Mississippi.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DoloresCheshire
Bossier City, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed at the Hilton in Baton Rouge several times, both for business and pleasure, most recently for a wedding. The staff was gracious and helpful. the rooms were very clean and had everything we needed. The gym was clean and had up to date machines. We had brunch Sunday morning and it was fabulous. The valet service was quick. I have not used the pool, but it was clean and pleasant to the eye. On one visit, I was moved to the concierge floor, and it was fantastic!

Room Tip: I always select a river view, beautiful!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lisat11_13
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel has a ton of Louisiana history, located on the Mississippi River in downtown BR. The renovations have maintained the historical aspect of the property while adding all necessary modern amenities. Yes the rooms are small as in most older hotels but the bathrooms are modern. Mine only had a stand up shower and not a tub. The room overlooked the river which was nice but occasionally a loud ship horn interrupts your work or sleep in the early morning. I only gave the hotel an average rating because of the lack of friendly service staff and lack of staff in general. When checking in, I was not offered any assistance with my luggage since I did not valet park a vehicle. Still no assistance when I struggled with my bags and clothes at check in. I checked in early but was not given a choice of rooms available nor was I told my room did not have a tub. The ice machine was broken on my floor and the pool was closed for renovations. Only two towels in the room so we had to hang up to dry for the morning shower after getting ready for dinner. The maid staff left some make up in our room from the previous guest which is always cause for concern on the cleaning procedures. The morning of checkout, I attempted to check my bags before having breakfast in the restaurant and still couldn't find any bell staff to take my bags. No carts were in site so, I left my clothes and bag on a lobby where. We went to have breakfast in the restaurant and waited for a hostess to seat us, eventually a waitress told us to sit anywhere so we took a table close to lobby so I could keep an eye on my bag. The waitress was clumsy with the menu and coffee pot and had trouble remembering our order. In general, there seems to be a lack of properly trained staff for for this property. With only 3 hotels in downtown Baton Rouge, I think I will try the Hotel Indigo next time or the Hampton when it opens later this year.

Room Tip: Make sure that you request a tub if you want one, many rooms have only a shower.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angel T
Marcus H, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review. I am so sorry that you had a disappointing experience with our staff. I am extremely disappointed you found our staff members to be unprofessional and inattentive towards you. Our main goal is for every guest to feel cared for, valued and respected. I truly regret that our staff did not provide you with the level of customer service you deserve. I have personally spoken to our staff and guarantee this will not happen again. I can assure you that our guest satisfaction is very important to us and I will make sure that your comments be taken into consideration to improve our property. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us.
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a great hotel located in the historic downtown area. They provide free transportation from the airport as well as a 5 miles radius from the hotel. Plenty of interesting things to see and do well within walking distance. The hotel restaurant and lounge were quite nice and the food was very good. The rooms were average in size, but quite nicely done and kept very clean. Parking downtown is limited. The hotel provides valet parking for $16/night. A great alternative is a parking garage located around the corner.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank horsemamaFL
cepitts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I stay here at least once a month and this hotel used to be one of my favorites. Now, the service is slacking (front desk and valet) and the hallways and rooms have a "musty" smell. I will likely try it one more time to see if it's improved, if not I will stay somewhere else when traveling to Baton Rouge.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank cepitts
Marcus H, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel and for choosing us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand that you were disappointed regarding some issues at our hotel. I very much regret for the inconvenient musty smell in the hallways and rooms. I can very much empathize with your discomfort and sincerely apologize for this. I thank you for bringing it up to my attention so that I can follow-up with our housekeeping staff to take care of this issue. Again, I truly regret and inconveniences you went through and hope that you give us another chance of staying with us if you are ever around our area.