“Comfortable and convenient hotel downtown BR”

Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have stayed at the Hilton BR Capitol Center several times and last week's stay was most pleasant. Hotel property is centrally located downtown, the rooms and meeting areas are well maintained and comfortable. Conference staff was friendly and willing to help. The staff has worked hard to decorate for the holidays and make everyone feel welcomed. At times the check in line was 7 or so people, but the desk clerks handled the heavy loads efficiently. Service in the restaurant is VERY slow - the food is good, but takes a long time to arrive at the table. I will continue to stay at this hotel when in downtown BR.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank drjackiefish
Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

996 - 1,002 of 1,171 reviews

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I grew up in Baton Rouge, but left many years ago. Growing up, I always remembered this hotel as the abandoned Hiedelberg hotel. We had occasion to return to Baton Rouge for a party and choose the renovated Hilton Baton Rouge Capital Center hotel. It was excellent! It is nice to see some life in downtown. We drove in, so the valet service was prompt and friendly. Upon check in, we were told about the breakfast buffet and given our room keys. We had a riverview room on the 5th floor. Some of the rooms are a bit small, but overall we were pleased with what they have done to the hotel.

On Sunday morning, we ate at the restaurant downstairs. We had the breakfast buffet - it was excellent! Eggs made to order (even poached!), sausage, bacon, cereal, etc. In addition, the staff was extremely friendly - especially our waitress. She kept the coffee coming, was prompt, and was very personable to our party of 6 + kids.

Though we were there for a short time and did not get to walk around the hotel, there does appear to be a fair amount of restaurants/bars within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room if possible - the sunset over the MIssissippi River is quite nice!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JBizzle76
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Although I see the reviews are mixed, we had nothing but good experiences here. The location is ideal for walking to downtown locations, but you do run into the same not-so-safe downtown feeling with some empty buildings, construction, and shady people around. The Riverview rooms have a beautiful view of the bridge.

We did not want/need to use the pool, but it did look fairly run down.

The executive lounge on the fourth floor has a wonderful selection of drinks, snacks, and a good selection of breakfast pastries, yogurt, and cereal in the morning.

We were here around Christmas and the lobby was beautifully decorated.

The staff went out of their way to help at all times and were generous with upgrades and complimentary extras. The hotel does not have a luxury feel but we got a great price and everything we wanted.

We got the breakfast buffet for free, so not sure how paying customers felt, but everything we had was delicious.
Biscuits and gravy as well as omelet and waffle station were all wonderful.

Room Tip: Riverview is great.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jackie K
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The title of this review is what stood out for me as a memory of this hotel. So many hotels have very poor wifi and phone reception. I had strong phone reception in my room, a big plus when traveling on business.

I will agree with some of what the other reviewers said about housekeeping. They came early, before I had a chance to leave, I told them I was still in my room, but they never came back later in the day. The coffee pot was not working in the room, which was inconvienent to leave my room for coffee in the lobby. And yes, the staff did seem to enjoy each other's company more that taking care of the guests. Would I go back? yes. The location was excellent, my room was clean, I did not have the shower issues another reviewer had, and the shuttle driver was extremely informative about the city, making the short drive from the airport enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Susan C
Reviewed November 17, 2012

That's based on the poor reviews and follow ups that I have read. The standard "we strive to please..." comment is placed by the manager, but I note that none of those complaints were actually addressed, as I was able to see for myself. So read the poor reviews, and just know that they are true.
I only have two things to add.
1. INDOOR WATERPARK! Wow cool, huh?! Actually, no. It may be in your bathroom. These have the attractive glass-door showers, elevated slightly above the floor. Nice. However - any fool will know, that it is cheap and efficient to purchase the little rubbery strips that attach to the bottom of these doors, and then to have maintenance install them. Without these, the water will literally come pouring out onto your bathroom floor, each time you shower. So you end up with a vast sheet of water covering the entire floor. Sucks, really.
2. Was there for a professional conference. By day 2, bathrooms in conference areas running out of paper towels, toilet paper, etc, and quite dirty. Corridors in conference area littered with debris, flotsam and jetsom, etc. Outside of building littered with empty glasses from hotel bar, napkins, cigarette butts, etc. In short, was like a rock concert I may have attended in the 80's, or some such.

Bottom line here - if you normally send housekeeping to check/clean restrooms, corridors, etc, once a day? Guess what? Want to host conferences? Send them 3 times a day. Means you might actually need to put a few extra folks on the clock, for the duration, OK? It is called being prepared.

Otherwise, place was OK, but over-rated based on the name. At $140 and up for rooms, one expects a good bit better. Would never stay here again.

Think the manager will write the follow up for this one? Let's find out, shall we? What good fun!

PS - place was well located for visiting in this lovely downtown area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank GiveMeEat
HiltonBR, General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

We apologize for the incredibly bad stay you experienced at our hotel. There is no excuse for the poor level of service you received. We do read all of our guest feedback to look for places we can improve. Please contact me directly to discuss and give suggestions on areas you did not include in your review, I would love to hear more feedback. Thank you for your review.

225-344-5866

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I know this is a long review, but I feel it necessary to detail my reason for the rating, and give others an insight when deciding whether or not to stay here. If you don’t want to read the whole thing, at least skip to the bottom to read about the computer usage warning.

Location: Great for exploring the downtown. Take advantage of the free trolley system to see a bit, it runs from 10:30am-2:30pm. The old capitol is just a block or two away, as is the USS Kidd and the Shaw Center. It is also near great eating establishments of various cuisines and various price ranges.

Rooms: The room itself was nothing outstanding, a king sized room with a view of the downtown area, smallish in comparison to most. Housekeeping was almost non-existant: day one (upon arrival), no soap, hairs on bathroom floor from previous occupant/s, water was so over-softened and slimy it is difficult to tell when you’ve gotten clean, the toilet did not flush without the handle being held down the entire time, the shower did not have a door that met the frame thus once the water was turned on it would cascade out from under the door onto the bathroom floor drenching it entirely-not a good combination when the water is slick from being over-softened. There was dried toothpaste on the bathroom sink.
Day two of housekeeping: towel replaced with one smelling like a dirty gym sock, and was sticky to dry off with. Ewe. No clean glasses where brought, nor where the dirty ones taken away. No coffee was replaced.
Day three: housekeeping never came. I went out until 2:30pm, returned and nothing was done. I was tired so I took a nap.
Final day: housekeeping actually came while I was at breakfast and removed many of my things (programs, work papers, etc.) and cleaned out my room even though check out was not until noon, and the time was 10:15am. I was not happy about this, but knew there was no way to retrieve these items, thankfully I was smart enough to use the safe for anything confidential. I should have put the “do not disturb” sign up, but frankly, I was not expecting housekeeping to even show up. This was upsetting, and I was pretty glad to not be staying there any additional nights.

Also noteworthy is the fact that the room doors are heavy, but afford no protection from sound in the halls.

Hotel/Services: The reception was underwhelming. Absolutely nothing was complimentary. Not even a bottle of water that was mentioned by another reviewer, which would have been nice after a long drive. On the hotel itself I noticed, the outside ledges are filthy, the curtains in the lobby are worn and dirty looking. The bathrooms on the first floor by the alternate entrance on Lafayette Street did not have toilet paper or paper towels in them at 9:30 in the morning, leaving a person (me) stranded. There were bottles and glasses just outside by a bench. There was complimentary coffee, which I discovered on the third day, BUT only between midnight and 6am, not exactly useful for the most of us. The valet people were friendly and efficient, if you care to pay $16 per day, I did not and parked instead at the garage one block over for $3 a day. Furthermore, you should note that the prices listed for food in the in-service room book are not accurate, in fact, a slice of cheesecake listed at $5.95 actually billed for $7.95. It’s not the $2, it’s the slap in the face.
I never tried the free shuttle, which is supposed to take you within 5 miles of the hotel.

One last note, be VERY CAREFUL when using your laptop in this hotel. Do not do as I did and venture to check your own email. I did this on November 8th, and was promptly hacked. Spam was sent forth in droves and I’ve subsequently had to engage in damage control and dismantle my email account.

Overall, this may bear the Hilton name, but it is certainly not worthy of a four-star designation. I was pretty disgusted, and glad to not be spending one more night there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank DanStac
HiltonBR, General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in the area and we apologize for the housekeeping problems you encountered. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and know our guests deserve better. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. We hope you will give us a second chance if you visit our area in the future.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Rooms and bathrooms are very small. I was shocked at how small they were. Strange noises in the wall kept me from getting much needed sleep. The bar/lounge food was ok nothing great but the servers seems to be more interested in talking amongst themselves than serving people. Best part was the staff on the executive level lounge. Especially Tracey! There are better choices in Baton Rouge.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ballilm

I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Your comments will help us correct these issues and we will address your concerns with appropriate staff members. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the area.