“Have the gumbo”

Dempsey's Poboys
Ranked #48 of 1,032 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Houston, TX
“Have the gumbo”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The seafood gumbo is awesome. It's creamy and has a good roux. The grilled shrimp are good but medium sized not jumbo. It's a little off the beaten path, but the service is friendly.

Visited March 2013

Denton, Texas
“DO NOT miss eating here!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Visiting Baton Rouge for a week and we were told this was the place to get authentic Cajun cooking. We had a bit of a wait, but once we saw the food being served, we didn't care that we'd be late returning to our conference! What a meal! Once seated, we were promptly served. Food was hot and beautifully presented. The shrimp and grits were rich, buttery and cheesey. Topped with a wonderful red sauce that complimented the shrimp and grits. Also had the crab cakes which were full of sweet crab meat and stuffing. Just a tad over fried, but delish! May revisit this one again before leaving.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Tripadvisor - I love you!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were looking for a place to eat before a movie. Tripadvisor you are my best friend when I'm looking for something new to try. I love reading "real" people reviews! This place was great. The gumbo is good, the fried catfish was delicious, and my husband loved his poboy.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Best Gumbo Ever”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

If there's a place that serves better Gumbo (either seafood or andouille) I haven't found it. Places like Dempsey's are what makes the reputation of South Louisiana food. I typically get the cup and a half- that's a cup of gumbo (your choice) and half of a po-boy). It's a cafe style place that serves great food for reasonable prices. If your looking for a place that serves up incredible gumbo and mouth watering po-boys, look no further.

• Visited December 2012
Baton Rouge, La.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“brgirl”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Food and service is excellent. Nice atmosphere at both locations. Recommend this to anyone new and old.

Visited December 2012