“DO NOT miss eating here!”
Review of Dempsey's Poboys

Dempsey's Poboys
Ranked #64 of 1,060 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Visiting Baton Rouge for a week and we were told this was the place to get authentic Cajun cooking. We had a bit of a wait, but once we saw the food being served, we didn't care that we'd be late returning to our conference! What a meal! Once seated, we were promptly served. Food was hot and beautifully presented. The shrimp and grits were rich, buttery and cheesey. Topped with a wonderful red sauce that complimented the shrimp and grits. Also had the crab cakes which were full of sweet crab meat and stuffing. Just a tad over fried, but delish! May revisit this one again before leaving.

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were looking for a place to eat before a movie. Tripadvisor you are my best friend when I'm looking for something new to try. I love reading "real" people reviews! This place was great. The gumbo is good, the fried catfish was delicious, and my husband loved his poboy.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

If there's a place that serves better Gumbo (either seafood or andouille) I haven't found it. Places like Dempsey's are what makes the reputation of South Louisiana food. I typically get the cup and a half- that's a cup of gumbo (your choice) and half of a po-boy). It's a cafe style place that serves great food for reasonable prices. If your looking for a place that serves up incredible gumbo and mouth watering po-boys, look no further.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Food and service is excellent. Nice atmosphere at both locations. Recommend this to anyone new and old.

Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Driving through Louisiana from MS to TX, we knew we wanted to stop for food around Baton Rouge. We looked to Tripadvisor to find something not too far off I-10, reasonably priced, and hopefully authentic.
We wanted a taste of Louisiana. Tripadvisor steered us right! Delicious lunch specials for $8.99-fried catfish with jambalaya. We also had seafood stuffed potato and gumbo plus fried shrimp and a sort of seafood bisque.
Our waitress was sweet, efficient, and patient with our questions. She recognized us as non-locals, but was really nice about it. Mostly working folks on a lunch break.
The restaurant is in a small strip center, nothing fancy, not too far off I-10 and well worth the detour. Don't trust Google maps-the u-turn is one past that spouted by navigation.

The pictures tell the story-will upload soon :-).