“Great Seafood!”
Review of DON'S Seafood - CLOSED

DON'S Seafood
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Dining options: Private Dining, Takeout
Description: DON'S SEAFOOD More Than Eighty Years of Exceptional Seafood South Louisiana locals and visitors have been drawn to DON'S authentic Cajun cuisine for more than 80 years. Menu selections including traditional Landry family recipes, and more recent original creations like Zydeco Shrimp, are well worth repeat visits. Many stop in daily for oysters on the half shell or boiled crawfish in season. DON'S bartenders serve Signature Old Fashioned cocktails alongside the newest specialty drinks, many made with Louisiana products. DON'S SEAFOOD began in 1934, when Don Landry opened his first restaurant and bar in downtown Lafayette with $400 borrowed from his uncle. Prohibition had just been lifted and at only 24 years old, he envisioned serving drinks and offering a simple menu featuring fresh local seafood. Four generations later, the Landry family has expanded that humble beginning into what would eventually become the DON'S SEAFOOD of today. Continuing the tradition, the Landry family still owns and operates each location. An extensive menu of original South Louisiana Cajun family recipes, the freshest Gulf seafood and sizzling steaks is offered. Each location boasts a unique Acadiana-inspired décor, all have a full-service bar and grill, perfect for casual diners or sports enthusiasts. Every DON'S SEAFOOD grill features an open charbroiler where diners can watch exclusive dishes being prepared like DON'S Original Jacked Up Oysters loaded with bacon, jalapenos and pepper jack cheese. Whether you're just passing through South Louisiana or live right around the corner, you'll find a DON'S SEAFOOD location near you in Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Denham Springs, Gonzales, Hammond, Covington and Metairie.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We were visiting family and went to Don's for an early dinner. The raw oysters on the half shell were fresh, served quickly and fantastic! I had the seafood gumbo. Wow, I love it on the spicer side and it was great. My fried shrimp were large and very tasty. I didn't care for the breaded shrimp with the stuffing. The shrimp on the salad were huge and the salad was large enough for two people. The seafood platter had stuffed crab and shrimp, fried shrimp and catfish. The food was great and more than we could eat. The service, the quality of the food and the friendly staff made our meal an enjoyable experience. We would definitely return and try the spicy Bloody Mary's to top off your meal!

1  Thank Denise A

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We ate at Don's today passing through BR. It was packed when we got there at 12:45p for lunch and we took it as a good sign. We ordered the seafood platter (lunch) for $12.50 and the fried mushrooms ($8.00) for three people to eat. It was more than enough food -- and we didn't eat any of the fries.

I thought the restaurant and restrooms were clean, it was a nice location for us, and the service was good.

I would return, if ever back in the area.

Happy travels!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I ate at Don's when I spent the night while passing through Louisiana. I had a desire for seafood and particularly seafood with a local Louisiana taste and asked the hotel receptionist where I was staying where there was a recommendable restaurant relatively nearby that would have that kind of fare. She suggested a couple of different restaurants and this was the one closest to the hotel. When I pulled into the parking lot it was still early evening and there weren't too many cars. The outside of the restaurant had that dated appearance of a local restaurant that had been there quite a while and the inside reflected that as well. The interior was dim, but not dark, and had that clean, but scuffed feel, like an old favorite shoe.

I had been driving all day and had skipped lunch so I was hungry. When walking in I noted that there was a special on a seafood combination platter that included fried shrimp, shrimp étouffée, stuffed crab, (blue) crab claws, and fried fish (catfish?). Since it was still early on a Tuesday evening, I had no trouble getting prompt service. I ordered the special and just to top it off, since they advertised being famous for their gumbo, I ordered a cup of that as well. The main course arrived before I had time to finish the gumbo and a salad that I ordered with the meal. The gumbo was pretty good, but I can't say it was the best I ever had. The fried shrimp, fish, and stuffed crab were fried properly and tasty although pretty much what I would expect at any decent southern seafood restaurant. The portion of shrimp étouffée was quite small and seemed nothing more than an appetizer. Its taste bordered on being bland, which is not what I expect from shrimp étouffée. If you have every had fried blue crab claws you know they are small and when fried they are no more than a single bite each. Of these, there were about 4-5.

All-in-all, Don's was not bad and I would be willing to go back there again if it were convenient. I expect there are other better seafood restaurants in Baton Rouge though. Additionally, Don's has a number of locations in the surrounding area.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Choose Don's for Lunch Business Meeting for 16 people. We loved the room and the set-up. The food and the atmosphere as well as the wait staff were quite pleasant. The meeting was quite successful because everyone was happy with their food choices.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Blacken redfish was great. Kids fried shrimp was good. Gumbo yuck! Don't get it. Shrimp is NOT fresh but farm raised so no taste. Stick to blacken fish. Service was slow on tea refills.