“Best chinese food around”
Review of Omi

Omi
Ranked #166 of 1,032 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best chinese food around”
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

I have tried most of the chinese restaurants in B.R. This is by far the best. Everything I have tried has been really good. The location is not the best, but it is worth trouble.

1 Thank cocolocoville

baton rouge, la
“BEST CHINESE FOOD IN BR”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The best Chinese food in baton rouge by far. All the dishes mentioned by others are delicious. Especially the spicy chicken and egg drop soup. We had beef vegetable noodle stir fry(it is not on the menu). We all thought it was amazing. My son had the tonkatsu Bento. He loved it. Also the fried rice is better than other places.

• Visited December 2013
Baton Rouge
“Good taste, great price!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Have been there twice, and I am always happy with the food and the price. Based on my own experience, I would say It is the best Chinese restaurant among those I have tried before in Baton Rouge.

Visited September 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Deceptively Good”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This should be a great location, right off the Interstate at Essen Lane, but as another reviewer pointed out, restaurants rarely survive long at this spot. In the case of Omi, I hope they do well, but their signage seems to indicate they specialize in hibachi and sushi and those sorts of places are a dime-a-dozen in Baton Rouge. This is sadly deceiving because the reality is that Omi dishes out excellent Chinese food, while their Japanese fare is about average. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that Omi has the best Chinese food in the whole state. I wouldn't put it it on the same level of authenticity you'd find in Monterey Park or Flushing, but I thin Omi stands as the best Chinese restaurant within about a 300 mile radius, and possibly more.

The first time I ate there, I stuck to what was prominent on their signs and ordered a bento box. It was okay. The price was right and the fish was fresh, but it wasn't anything special. Then I found out a little more about the chef and the Chinese menu.

The chef, as it was told to me by someone else in my lunch party, used to be the personal chef of a well-known Chinese general (well-known in China, that is). I'd have to say that his culinary training comes through in the dishes the restaurant serves. On my second trip, I made sure to order from the Chinese menu and selected the Chong Qing Chicken, and this is where having a trained chef behind the scenese really paid off. It's really a pretty simple dish that has the chicken coated in some spices and lightly wok-fried with hot peppers, garlic, and ginger. There were no sugary sauces or added vegetables to bring flavor to the dish - they weren't needed. The chef at Omi knew exactly how to bring out the flavor of every spice that coated that chicken and knew how to cook it all just right so that even the peppers were delectably flarvorful. As Remy from Ratatouille puts it, there was a "symphony of flavors."

Having grown up on good Chinese food in California, I typically steer clear of Chinese food in Louisiana, having had some pretty lousy experiences at highly regarded "good" places in the New Orleans area, but Omi? Omi is the real deal and I'll go back there for more.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank dpc47852
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great food and awesome value”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Really excellent food and great value. You can't go wrong with the Chinese menu-lots of spicey and oily dishes... or the Japanese one either-good sushi as well as other stuff (tempura, etc.) And nice ambiance.

• Visited August 2013