“Off the Beaten Path but Food is Off the Chart!”
Review of Mason's Grill

Mason's Grill
Ranked #34 of 1,055 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had eaten Dinner here a few years ago and it did not make a big impression on me, but I had Brunch there today and the food was superb. The customers were lined up which is a good indication of the quality of food. It may only be open for Brunch on the weekends but the locals were packing the place. Service was good and food was reasonably priced. Someone in our group commented that the ceiling could use a coat of paint but I never noticed as I was preoccupied with the food on my plate.

1  Thank Bigmeaux56
There are newer reviews for Mason's Grill

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Baton Rouge, Louisiana is my home town and I am fortunate to travel back home frequently. I go to lunch here at least once every visit just to have the shrimp po-boy with green beans on the side. Yes, I said green beans! I have the same meal every time I order. The shrimp are large, seasoned well and not overcooked. The sandwich is typically dressed with lettuce and tomato. I always go traditional and add mayo and pickles. The reason for the green beans? I am not a big fan of french fries, so one day I asked if they would sub a veggie. I was given a huge serving of french-cut green beans that were so fresh and green that I ate them faster than the shrimp.

As my family members come with me and orders a variety of different entrees each time, I have been able to sample bites of their salads, gumbo, red beans, etc. and they are all consistently good southern fare. The service is quick during lunch time. I can usually get in/out within 40 minutes. The pricing is good and there is a different special for lunch during the week days. Just this summer, they finally paved their parking lot, so there is ample room to park during their busy lunch and early evening service times.

So, if you are passing through southeastern Baton Rouge, drive less than a mile off of the Airline Highway/Sherwood Forrest intersection. You will find one of those local places that tourists are always looking for. You shouldn't be disappointed.

2  Thank dreuxsgirl
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This one of the best places to go for a fresh salad. I ate every bite because there was not one leave that was brown. The grilled oysters were unbelievably amazing and the cheese was the most perfect choice that a chef could choose!!!

1  Thank treeline
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The wife and I visited Mason's Grill for the first time on Friday Nov. 9, 2012. Quite a ride from Zachary on a Friday evening but we both enjoyed it. We were seated right away even though the parking lot was jammed. Happy hour lasts until 7pm allowing a few 1/2 price beers.. The service was excellent. We even changed tables from inside to the outside patio with no trouble. The oysters on the half shell were excellent. The wife had the ribeye with crabmeat/hollandaise topping. No complaints. The noise level from people talking was a bit on high side. So if you are looking for a nice quiet dine, do not go here. Pricing was middle of the rode. Overall, we give it Mason's an A.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My family and I ate here for breakfast on an LSU game day. If you get there when they open, there is no wait, even for a large party such as ours. The service was very good and the food was excellent. There were a lot of tasty options, so it was difficult to decide! I had the seafood casserole, which was perfect! They also have a burger called the hangover, with burger, eggs, sausage, cheese... My nephew had it and said it was good (he has eaten here a number of times before). Everyone enjoyed what they ordered. Th endless champagne for $3.95, is quite the deal, in my opinion! I would definitely recommend this restaurant and will eat there again when we are in town!