“Met Most of Our Expectations”

Mike Andersons Seafood
Ranked #17 of 1,073 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Since most people who read these reviews have never been to the place they are reading about, I want to write a review for their benefit. The locals do love this restaurant and you can too, if you know what to expect. The wait for a table can be long, especially if there is an event at LSU with visitors to the city all wanting to try Louisiana seafood. I have found that the best time to eat here is for lunch and to arrive a little before 11am. The wait for a table is always longer in the evening. You may choose to wait for your table in the bar, however, it can be too crowded.
Keep in mind that this is a seafood restaurant and fried seafood is pretty much their specialty. Unless your entire table orders fried seafood or gumbo, the wait for the arrival of your food will be much longer.
The onion rings are homemade and the batter is light. They are very good and have never been greasy when my family has ordered them. So many people like Mike Anderson's coleslaw that you can find the recipe posted on numerous sites online. The jumbo fried shrimp are very large, always taste fresh and the batter is light. The seafood gumbo is good, not spicy hot. On our last visit, there was not much seafood other than shrimp in my gumbo, probably because I ordered a cup size. The tartar sauce is good, but I've had better. My family had differing opinions about the fried catfish on our last visit. My husband said it wasn't as good as it usually is while my two sons said it was very, very good. My son's girlfriend had the stuffed shrimp and said they were delicious. We were not impressed with the bread pudding. I find that the char-broiled grilled fish is much better than the broiled fish dishes. I suggest that you view the menu online before your visit and inquire about the type of fish included in any dish you are considering.
This is a restaurant of choice for many who are celebrating an event. You will find people in casual to dressy attire. It's best not to dress too extremely casual or you may feel uncomfortable. I would not describe this restaurant as intimate or romantic.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We decided to eat here based on the trip advisor reviews. I always use trip advisor as my guide and the reviews are usually spot on. Unfortunately, this time I must say I was very disappointed in the food and service. We had to wait 30+ minutes for a table in the middle of the day when there were empty tables all over the restaurant. It took FOREVER for our food to arrive once we placed the order. I ordered the Joliet Rouge and it was not good. The shrimp were very overcooked. They were very tough and chewy. I couldn't even eat all of them. The whole dish was swimming in onions --too many onions for this onion lover. My son got the pasta dish with shrimp, chicken, and broccoli. It was just o.k. I would not go back to this restaurant and I would not recommend it to anyone traveling to Baton Rouge. I am so sad because I am not staying long enough in Baton Rouge to try another restaurant and this place let me with a bad taste in my mouth. Very expensive and the food didn't live up to the price.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I were born and raised in BR. Since our first anniversary, over 45 years ago, we have celebrated with a nice dinner at Mike Anderson's. through the years, we have chosen Mike's for any and all special occasions. The food is always excellent, consistently prepared, and fresh. The home made salad dressings and the slaw are better than any we had elsewhere. The same goes for the onion rings. Our favorite dishes are the Joliet Rouge, prepared with either shrimp or fish, grilled, with a topping of crabmeat and mushrooms prepared with butter, wine, and creative seasonings, and the Shrimp Howard, with fried or grilled shrimp topped with a generous portion of crab étouffée. On weekdays, the restaurant offers a reasonably priced lunch menu. We also like the seafood, shrimp, and crab platters, but have to split these or plan to carry home leftovers for the next day. their sides are as good as the entrees. many dishes come with the stuffed baked potato. you are also allowed to substitute the onion rings are not to be missed! Through the years, we have tried everything on the menu, and never have we been disappointed, or found a dish lacking. Maintaining such consistency over such a long time cannot be an easy task, but Mike Anderson's has accomplished this feat.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Very good and fresh seafood- glad we went! The fried crab claws are to die for!
Will go back when in Baton rouge for sure. The meal was good- service was great.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

They serve crawfish, catfish, crawfish, shrimp, crawfish, crabs, catfish, crawfish, catfish, and desserts. If they serve beef, it’s covered with crawfish etouffee.
Go hungry, and share dishes, especially the appetizer of spinach and artichokd dip. Instead of serving it on chips, they provide very thinly sliced catfish flllets Awesome.
The lemonade pie should not be eaten—it should be sucked off your spoon. That’s the best way to enjoy its smooth, thick, creamy texture.

1  Thank riecke