“Anniversary Disappointment...”

Hampton Inn & Suites Baton Rouge Downtown
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 28, 2013

After reading the reviews I expected this hotel to be great on service and a wonderful room. Upon check-in I was greeted by the front desk person and she was WONDERFUL. She was quick and personable. Everything went down hill from that point on. I reserved a king suite with balcony with a river view. When I got to room 715 it was TINY! The pictures are very misleading as to what you are really getting. The room rate for the night we stayed was $247.00/night for a matchbox. In addition to the room being small our view was HORRIBLE! We had a view of the parking garage, a partial view of the river and a MAJOR view of a construction lot. At that point I was extremely upset because this hotel stay was a surprise for my partner for our anniversary. In attempts to save the day I called the front desk and did not get the same personable young lady who checked us in, I GOT STEPHEN/STEVEN. I explained the situation to him and requested another room, he then advised that there were no additional rooms in the entire hotel. We did check in on an extremely busy LSU weekend, however, I find it hard to believe that everyone had checked into the hotel by 2pm. I then went back downstairs to speak with the young lady that checked us in, while I was discussing the issue with her STEVEN/STEPHEN interrupted my conversation with her and tells me he already told me over the phone that there was no room.

The good thing about this hotel is although the room was tiny it was very clean and well kept. The bed was comfortable and the TV was big. No issues with anything else outside of the lack of customer service. Needless to say we will not be returning to this particular Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Do not book your hotel based off the photos you may see online. Call the front desk and ask specific...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BRITTGOESFAR

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Discovered this was a new hotel after I booked it and looked for it on Google Street View which shows nothing but an empty lot! They seem to have gotten everything right. Our room was clean, the beds were very comfortable, management was very helpful in bringing up extra bedding for our daughter who decided to crash with us instead of returning to the dorm. Did not have a chance to try out the breakfast, but it looked plentiful. Positives: Community Coffee! Negatives: Parking is pricey ($9 for the garage across the street), and they charge $5 for a cup of ravioli from the late-night snack shop!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Baton Rouge Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Jeanine S,

Dear David W,

Let me first and foremost take a moment to thank you for your most recent review. I also want to thank you for choosing our hotel during your most recent visit to Baton Rouge. We want to ensure that each and everyone of our guests are 100% satisfied during their stay and afterwards! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. We hope that the next time you find yourself in the Baton Rouge area that we would be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us! Thank you again!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Friendly/helpful staff. We had a King Corner room with large balcony with partial river view. In the future I will ask for a river front room with balcony and higher than 2nd floor. Great breakfast. Great restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear David W,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Wow, what a beautiful facility recently opened in Spring of 2013. The manager's reception every evening from 5-6:00 was very nice, beer, wine, cheese and crackers and some hot snacks. I've experienced an open bar before at locations but this was the first of this kind ever offered. Very convenient and within walking distance to downtown and all kinds of great restaurants. Baton Rouge is the quietest capital city I've ever been in and possibly the friendliest. Try Lloyd's Po-Boy near the hotel, great LA food and a real experience, Lloyd is a hoot! The museum, Capital tour and so much more....we're going back!

Room Tip: As one other person said ask for view overlooking the mighty Mississippi. The suite we had was laid...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Baton Rouge Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Bob F,

Let me first and foremost take a moment to thank you for your most recent review. I also want to thank you for choosing our hotel during your most recent visit to Baton Rouge. We want to ensure that each and everyone of our guests are 100% satisfied during their stay and afterwards! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. We are the newest hotel in the downtown area which as you saw there is a lot to do and enjoy. Ask our front desk for recommendations next time you are in town as Baton Rouge has a ton to offer! We hope that the next time you find yourself in the Baton Rouge area that we would be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us! Thank you again!

A TripAdvisor Member
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed October 15, 2013

everything was great my fiance' and I loved it here especially the corner room we stayed in amazing view .....it over looked the Mississippi river and we were surrounded by the finest restaurant and bars I loved it here you should stay

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Member,

First let me thank you for choosing our hotel during your most recent stay to Baton Rouge and secondly for your glowing review. My staff and I are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience of the hotel and surrounding area. The next time your finance and you find yourself in the Baton Rouge area, ask about our new romance package: "Moonlight on the Mississippi". Thanks again and if my staff or I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Hampton Inn and Suites Baton Rouge Downtown

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a newer property and has a lot of character. Parking is across the street in a parking garage, which will throw you if your always used to driving up to the property directly. The price was fair, but not good, but its downtown. There are good places to eat nearby and the staff here was very friendly. The locks on the room doors are the stupidest thing that I have ever seen though. You scan or pass your key over a bulb and the door opens. This is nice if it actually worked. I changed rooms twice and got the same effect. I would imagine that if you stayed more than a night, you would need to have the desk re-magnetize your darn key every evening when you come in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ikeamillion,

Let me start off by thanking you for your most recent review of our hotel. Secondly, as we want to ensure that each and everyone of our guests leave here 100% satisfied, I was unhappy to learn that you experienced an issue with our locking system. This is the newest and safest system on the market today as we want to ensure that our guests are offered convenience as well as a safe piece of mind when staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites Baton Rouge Downtown. I will have my staff keep a closer eye out for others that have had similar problems with their doors as well. I hope you got to stay with us during the week and experience our evening managers reception sponsored by our hotel and The Little Village restaurant that runs in our lobby Monday thru Thursday. I hope that the next time you find yourself in the Baton Rouge area that we would be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance, now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Hampton Inn and Suites Baton Rouge Downtown

Reviewed October 12, 2013

New Hampton Inn in downtown Baton Rouge is well located on Lafayette Street. There are several restaurants and bars within short walking distance from Hampton Inn. I stayed in a room with king sized bed - which included a refrigerator and microwave. Room met all of the quality standards I expect from Hampton Inn. The pillows are the only disappointment. Hotel breakfast and happy hour are nice perks for a business traveler or leisure traveler. The other minor complaint is parking - the Hampton Inn charges for parking (I think $10 or $12) which is around the corner in a another building behind Hampton Inn - even though Hampton Inn has a surface parking lot in front of entrance of hotel. But even with thin, lumpy pillows, and small inconvenience of parking, I will return to this Hampton Inn whenever I travel to Baton Rouge for business or leisure.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Let me first and foremost take a moment to thank you for your most recent review. I also want to thank you for choosing our hotel during your most recent visit to Baton Rouge. We want to ensure that each and everyone of our guests are 100% satisfied during their stay and afterwards! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. We are the newest hotel in the downtown area and our balcony views of the Mississippi River at sunset can't be beat and we hope that you got to experience one of them! We also understand that our parking can be frustrating but as an added amenity, we are now offering VIP parking directly in front of the hotel for $14 a night compared to the $9 in our garage. We hope that the next time you find yourself in Baton Rouge that we would be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us! Thank you again!