“Not bad”

Capitol Park Museum
Ranked #3 of 81 things to do in Baton Rouge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: With thematic exhibits on diverse aspects of Louisiana history, industry and culture, the museum includes two permanent exhibits: Grounds for Greatness: Louisiana and the Nation and Experiencing Louisiana: Discovering the Soul of America.
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Very fresh, new, clean, and well-thought-out, I certainly felt the LSMBR captured all aspects of Louisiana culture. I found the museum to be on the smaller side, however, and didn't like that it didn't have a natural "flow" to it. It was more like a maze. The biggest complaint I have, however, is that there's so many intangible or replica things on display. What I mean is this is a museum of pictures and movies more than it is about things and stuff to look at. If you're the type who likes to slowly walk through museums and read every placard and watch every film this place is perfect. But if you're more of the short attention span type like me you'll largely find yourself sprinting through. The few tangible objects they have seemed like they were all just replicas of things and "this is made to look like..." When I go to museums I like to see real stuff, not knockoff props.

2  Thank Vemnox
"old state capitol"
"information"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Great afternoon spent seeing the Robert Tebbs Photography exhibit. That was the impetus for our weekend get away to Baton Rouge, but the rest of the Museum was equally delightful. Really enjoyed everything we saw. The History section had some amazing artifacts and the section on Culture and Cities was beautifully done. Well worth the drive!

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We went here on a free ticket that was included in our riverboat cruise. I was very impressed with the size and scope of this whole museum, especially considering that the guide in the bus hadn't done much to "sell" the museum beforehand. There is a pretty incredible array of exhibits and topics, and it would take quite a lot of time to cover it all. My only complaint would be the gift shop/bookstore, which was almost bare. The museum got me interested in Huey P. Long, but there were barely any books about Louisiana history in the shop, much less about Long. Still, the museum itself is great!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had a great time at the museum. The kids learned so much. It's a great attraction for families. A must see!