“Well worth the time!”

Capitol Park Museum
Ranked #3 of 81 things to do in Baton Rouge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: With thematic exhibits on diverse aspects of Louisiana history, industry and culture, the museum includes two permanent exhibits: Grounds for Greatness: Louisiana and the Nation and Experiencing Louisiana: Discovering the Soul of America.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Very entertaining museum with lots of hands on experience that will entertain adults as well as children. Make sure you see the shrimp trawler that the building was built around as well as the Mardi Gras float that lets you feel the experience of being in one of the parades. Take time to see the tribute to Huey Long, former governor and US senator. Enjoy listening to all the musicians who came out of Lousiana and how their music has influenced all different kinds from blues to hillbilly to dixieland jazz.

1  Thank Susan M
"old state capitol"
"information"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a very comprehensive museum that you can spend hours in if you wish, and it is located very near the State Capitol which is also a very interesting place to go.

1  Thank chazwill
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is an excellent museum just steps from the Louisiana State Capitol. I went with my son who is 8 on a class field trip and I think everyone loved it. My only complaint was that we weren't able to stay longer. There were 2 floors of history and artifacts. When we got there 2 of the teachers/curators put on a skip for us that included audience participation that was really nice. All of our kids received a pencil and paper to participate in a scavenger hunt. I can't wait to go back and my son can't either!

I don't know if the price of admission was included in what we had to pay for my son to go on the field trip but I do know we didn't have to pay when we arrived.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Pink Floyd Laser light show at the Planetarium was beyond belief. I want to go back there again and again and again...

See more reviews
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Louisiana State Museum (Capitol Park Museum) is one of our favorite Baton Rouge attractions. If you only have time for three downtown sights, see this museum, the state capitol, and the old governor's mansion.

The state museum is housed in a large, modern building that provides the space for the large and varied exhibits. A tour of the museum provides knowledge of both history and culture; the LSU Rural Life Museum provides more history and culture. We liked learning about the roots of Louisiana, it's part in the Civil War, its politics as well as music and musicians, crops and machinery, and cultural events -- the Mardi Gras exhibit was very nice. The large pieces stand out -- the Civil War submarine, the shrimp boat, and the two row sugar cane harvester.

The exhibits are varied and interesting -- something for everyone. And the price is right -- it's free! We spent a couple of hours at the museum and would have stayed longer if we had not wanted to see so many other sights in Baton Rouge.

1  Thank RetiredTravelerTN