“Geaux stay here” 4 of 5 stars

The Cook Hotel and Conference Center at LSU
Ranked #20 of 72 Hotels in Baton Rouge
“Geaux stay here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is right on the campus of LSU. The staff is very nice. The rooms are well appointed if not a little small. This is set up for conference style business but we stayed on a leisure visit and enjoyed it. The breakfast downstairs was included like many business hotels these days. The business center has plenty of room. The work out facility and pool area not their strong suits but they are available. I would try to stay here anytime I was coming to campus. W got a rate of around $110 whic h seemed reasonable and I'm sure seasonal as we were the in late July when school was not in session.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chip G
StaceyMessina, Manager at The Cook Hotel and Conference Center at LSU, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
We thank you for taking the opportunity to write a review of The Cook. We are very happy you see us as a destination for relaxation as well as business, as we do provide amenities that are suitable for both the leisure and corporate traveler. We hope to have the opportunity to provide another memorable experience for you and your family in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Alexandria, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Such a nice, clean place. And right on the LSU campus. This is out second time to stay here and both times have been wonderful experiences. Very clean rooms and comfortable beds. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank John Z
Thank you for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay at The Cook. Our mission is to ensure that every guest stay is remarkable, and we are pleased your experience was enjoyable. If we can ever be of further accommodation or assistance to you, please contact us at www.thecookhotel.com or 1.866.610.COOK. Thank you!
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Was wondering why our meeting was going to be on campus at the Cook Center. I knew its' location was wonderful...across from the lake on campus, dripping with southern charm & greenery (a change from NM). I knew the conference center was excellent, but on checking into the hotel I found it to be a cut above. A beautiful property, well maintained, with a well trained young staff who apparently know the meaning of "hospitality industry." This reflects well on them, management & training. Check in (after a long arduous day in and out of airports) was painless & handled professionally. My room was a suite with full kitchen and more than adequate relaxing and work space. Room was well maintained & actually cheerful (especially if you're a LSU fan). Close and accessible to eateries and all parts of Baton Rouge, if they have space one can't go wrong with a stay at the Cook...business or pleasure. Breakfast was complimentary and much better than average. Throughout stay hotel staff was accessible, professional and seemed eager to please. I wouldn't want to try to book a room when LSU is playing a home game though.

Room Tip: Great place to stay in Baton Rouge, just would hate to try to book a room when there's a LSU hom...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Frank K
Thank you very much for your review. At The Cook Hotel, every member of our staff strives to ensure that our "Southern Hospitality" culture is also our policy. Your experience is very important to us, and we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!
Gainesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Very nice hotel and even nicer staff. I stayed here while attending a wedding and after checking out of the hotel I drove around the lovely campus taking photos. I busted a tire (very careless of me) and was feeling pretty desperate since I was over a 1000 miles from home (Virginia). It was Sunday and I couldn't find a tire place open to replace my tire so I was stuck for another day. I went back to the hotel and asked if I could stay another night and explained my situation. They not only found a room for me right away but also gave it to me at a significant discount (after checking with the very nice and helpful manager). I didn't mind being "stuck" there for another day since I had such wonderful accomodations. It is a very nice hotel, very modern, clean and comfortable and a great breakfast. I really enjoyed my stay and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank PatP043
StaceyMessina, Director of Marketing at The Cook Hotel and Conference Center at LSU, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send us such a nice message.

We are very happy to hear you stay was pleasant despite the unfortunate incident with your tire. It was our pleasure to be able to accommodate you for the additional evening, and we thank you for the complimentary comments on our accommodations and staff. Our guests are our priority, and it is our pleasure to assist you in any way possible.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future. Again, thank you!
Marksville, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Feel that I have to say how wonderful it is to have a hotel that you never have to wonder about quality, service, etc. when looking to stay in the Baton Rouge area...we stay here at least three times every summer and the suites are perfect for our family! So nice to feel like I'm back at LSU even though I'm 20 years older now! John does an awesome job and our team appreciates his help every stay. Thanks so much John! Our kids love breakfast, the pool, and walking around the lakes although I'm not sure how much of my "nostalgia" they like to listen to!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank merrudy
Thank you so much for your review. It is always our pleasure to welcome back to LSU and to The Cook Hotel!

We are thrilled to hear you and your team enjoy our the quality of our amenities and service. You always have our commitment to provide you with the very best of Baton Rouge hotel accommodations.

The breakfast and lakes are awaiting your return visit!
France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Here for a February conference, I was lodged in one of the enormous suites (half the hotel is suites, half rooms) with a kitchenette. The hotel is modern and roomy, very clean and efficient.
Some of the upper-floor rooms have a fine view over the University Lake. The beds are remarkably good, including (unusually!) the pillows. Breakfast is simple, cooked and Southern (grits, spicy sausage, bacon and biscuits), and sets you up for the day. Oddly, the hotel has no restaurant or bar: on weekdays, the kitchen makes a $7.75 plate lunch that is not bad at all. While I was there they had temporarily lost their liquor licence, but normally they sell beer and wine in the tuck-shop by the front desk. The lack of restaurant is awkward, especially on weekends, as the hotel is about 30 minutes' walk from the nearest city restaurants. One other drawback is that the windows do not open -- in summer that's understandable in a Louisiana climate, but in February it would be nice to have some fresh air. There is a lovely pool outside, open from 6 am till 10 pm, and an exercise room; alas, the gift shop does not sell bathing suits. On the whole, though, it's a very good hotel, and reasonable.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms on the lake side have a pretty view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank roger41France
Fort Hood, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was a distance learning student with LSU and had to travel to campus to take one last exam. I stayed here 3 nights. Check-in and Check-out were very easy. They serve a breakfast and a lunch. They give you paper slips for breakfast when you check in. Don't lose them. I forgot a couple of mornings and had to go back to my room just to get the slip to eat. I've never seen this method in a hotel before. The breakfast was very good compared to what you would get in your chain hotels. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, and grits were all prepared in their on-site kitchen. Coffee, juice and water were available to drink. They also had the usual hotel waffle-maker as well as milk and yogurt in a small refrigerator.

If you're allergic to feathers, make sure you check the pillows. I had 5 awesome feather pillows, but I'm allergic, so I had to call the desk to get synthetic. It took them some time to find a few for me, but eventually came though.

My stay included a Saturday night stay, which was not the best night. There were several younger students staying there as well. They returned late and they could be heard at all ends of my floor. Just a warning for you if you stay as finals are ending.

My professor did make the comment that they don't tend to use the conference center for their meetings because there are no restaurants and such near the hotel. This is true, it's on campus which makes getting to a campus location fairly easy, however, you'll have to drive a few minutes to get to attractions and food.

Overall I'd stay here again in the same situation (staying on campus to take an exam). If I was traveling to Baton Rouge for fun/vacation, I would probably stay elsewhere closer to food, attractions, or night-life.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo