“This Hotel Smells Gross”

Comfort Suites University
Ranked #36 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed May 15, 2006

I stayed on the 3rd floor. The hall smelled so awful. I couldn't hardly stand it. The room itself was grimey. I don't know how long ago the pictures were taken - but they are very inaccurate. I traveled for the government and at check out I went to give them my tax exempt form and they would not accept it. They said it was against their policy to accept them at any other time except check in. What a crock of crap. I would never recomend this hotel. It totally sucked.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Marlene H

Reviewed January 26, 2006

all we travellers really want is clean , comfortable, and let me have a decent shower and a good nights sleep. You wont get that here. Room very dirty, the table tops of all surfaces still showed signs of rings from drinks and other food etc, wiped off with a simple washcloth and water. Towels were disgusting, hair trapped in them , stained and flat and so rough my loofah was softer ( NOT KIDDING) the bed was so bad I took cushions from the sofa and put those on the bed to get any sleep. Charged for Hi speed. Now the shower, it was dirty , I put a hand towel in the bottom but the pressure was so bad I had to wash my hair by kneeling in the tub. HORRIBLE. Because of the storm hotels are scarce but really no excuse for this.
they no longer have VCR or DVD players in the room but they do have DVD's for rent ( for a charge) in the lobby. I couldnt wait to get out of there but had to suffer for a week. I mentioned the room being dirty and asked if they could make sure they clean my room, they didnt even vacuum , there was a small piece of paper still right in the middle of the floor after they "cleaned" it.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank stedmacl
Reviewed November 26, 2005

Very disappointed with what used to be a consistent chain. This hotel is old and had a poor re-condition/remodel done fairly recently so that the photos of the lobby and exterior look somewhat polished. Don't let this fool you. The rooms were dark and very poorly cleaned. The fixtures were cheaply updated (mal-fitting fixtures in the bathroom exposing the drywall edges, poor wall patch-work done on cracks and crevices) and in some cases not updated at all. We moved from one room that smelled bad and had a filthy carpet to another room that smelled a bit better with a less-soiled carpet. The "new" room had what appeared to be the original shower-curtain bar complete with decades old rust and peeling/chipping plastic laminate. The beds were very low quality and hard. The pillows were flat with lumps. I literally had to fold my pillow into thirds to get any loft out of it. I did attempt to find another hotel in the area but was out of luck. I did voice my concerns to the desk-person (who was very pleasant) and was promptly moved to another more tolerable but equally poor quality room. I understand that the hotels in the area were hit-hard with having to accomodate evacuees from Hurricane Katrina and perhaps this was why they were in such bad condition. Nevertheless, I don't believe a hotel should take in customers if they are unable to accomodate them appropriately. We were charged a total of $118 for a room that was worth half that, at most.

• Stayed: November 2005
1  Thank sunfun1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2005

We stayed here March 27-April 2 2005. When we arrived the elevator was broken. We were told it would be fixed that night and they were working on it as we checked in. We were put on the 3rd floor and my brother on the 5th( top) floor. We were there for the ABC bowling tournament so had some heavy bags. Not one offer to help us with our luggage. Tried to use their internet and that was down as well as well as their computer in the business room. Elevator was fixed on Thursday night only to be broken again when we checked out on Sat morning. We were given $10 off a night for our inconvience with the elevator but only after I asked them what they could do about the inconvience of it. I would not stay here again!! Rooms dark and dingy, I found a couple of stuffed animals under the bed, towels were put on our bed instead of in the bathroom. Hideous colors for the carpets and doors ( puke green) .

• Stayed: March 2005
Reviewed April 14, 2004

Comfort Suites in Baton Rouge. This hotel with indoor corridors is situated in a silent street close to I 10. Not much traffic noise to be heard. It has an outdoor pool in the back of the motel, in the east, so there is no sun in the afternoon. As it was windy it was too cold to use it If it had been in the sun we could have used it. The Lobby is spacious, divided into several parts – main entrance, with the receptionist. The lady was so kind, friendly and gave us lots of informations. We felt very welcome. To the left the lobby opens into a tv-room and small library, to the right into the business room, where internet is for free. In the back the lobby opens into the breakfast room with TV and into a gym room. In the middle of the lobby is the elevator to the upper floors. It looks old and worn out inside. The carpet in the indoor corridors look stained and old too. As well as the carpet in our room. I will never understand, why american motels and hotels use that dark colours in their rooms, ours was in dark green and brown. Entering the room on the left hand was the sink and mirror, on the right side the bathroom. The bathroom needs some renovation, there are waterstains round the sink, on the water pipes, in the toilet...
Makes the room look unclean. The carpet did not look clean either, probably it’s just the quality of the fabric that makes this impression. The sleeping room provides 2 double beds, a sofa and a working desk with chair and internet access. There is a chest with the TV and drawers, and a video recorder. In the lobby you can get videos for rent. We got an ironing equipment, soaps and lotion but no shampoo.
The remote controll did not work and while I was in the lobby, someone else asked for batteries for his remote controll too. Round a corner is a small kitchen with fridge, microwave, a table and chairs.
Unfortunately this small room has no window. The window of the sleeping room is not very big either and very dirty between the glasses.
Therefore the rooms are not well lit unless you turn on the lights.
though the rooms are really spacious. Con: the doors to the rooms. They close with a loud bang. So expect to be waken up by bangs during night and from the early morning on. Though there are signs in the lobby: they want you to be silent from 11 p.m.-7. Later we found out that there was no Kleenex in the room. And no bathtowels, only those tiny facetowels. We got them from the front desk. One of the small towels looked stained and dirty, and they were not really fluffy. Breakfast was very good, with extra joghurt and waffles, oatmeal and grits. Room floor was not hoovered well, we found pencil, band aid and cap of a bottle.

• Stayed: April 2004
3  Thank AndreaAustria_Europe
A TripAdvisor Member
Galliano, LA
Reviewed July 27, 2003

We recently stayed at this hotel in Mid-June 2003.

The hotel was very nice for the $62.00 that we paid for our Saturday night stay.

The room included a big TV and a VCR which is nice to have with kids.
The room was very clean and very nicely decorated.

Downstairs, connected to the lobby, was a room that had 2 computers with DSL internet connections to surf the web. It also had a machine that allowed you to rent videos to watch in your room on your VCR. The TV in the room included all available cable channels....something like 75 channels.

The hotel is centrally located near College Drive which has every kind of restaurant and store you can imagine. The mall is about 2 exits down the road on the interstate.

It's the perfect place to stay if you are thinking about coming into Baton Rouge for a football game.

The only problem we had was that the staff was out of clean towels on the morning we checked out. They did accomodate us by giving us clean towels from the pool area which was just fine.

They also serve a free continental breakfast which was nice.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member