“Mad at Expedia.com--Friendly Helpful Staff/Owner--don't stay here”

Magnuson Hotel - Baton Rouge
Ranked #70 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed July 23, 2013

First mad at Expedia--two uses both regrettable--one actually probably a nice place in good area of Dallas BUT under construction so indoor pool and gym were closed and nothing in their business center worked. “Gee” those features won’t important to me in my week stay. And EXPEDIA DID NOTHING AND WOULDN’T LET ME CANCEL THEN. That was a couple of years ago and they did nothing---“NOW”I got the Indian phone center shuffle where the "supervisor" was far less comprehending than the first girl--didn't speak English well we are sorry you are not happy but can do nothing. I was cool but wanted to blow up as he repeated what I had just acknowledged and said AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Now this place NOT A 2 STAR BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION ---next to a two one star chains Super Whatever and Knight's Inn also not 2 star places (lowest spot on the chains—motels, not hotels). OK room was passable and since the staff and owner were nice I wanted to like this place UNTIL I showered and found out how dirty the floors were--I walked barefoot in the room (not outside) maybe coal miners stayed before me--that bad my son has played in mud and less dirt washed off---which is too bad because another review showed stained sheets--they were clean and although dated the room and bed was OK. Where this place really dies is the clientele—“think ghetto” it is a weekly rental for those who can't get an apartment--that is why I HATE EXPEDIA --I travel often I have never had a bad experience with Travelocity, Price Line nor Hotwire--they don't play with ratings adding stars and update--also those trying to figure what hotels they using for deals are is easy on side sites with people telling what hotels are secret hotels being used.

Liked the owner but he had no illusions able this place --actually said in more blunt terms about the people who stay here-- I am thrifty because I travel all over the country and company is not picking the tab but not desperately climbing the ladder anymore that I must go cheap to survive, so I won't try to ever stay in under a 3 star again NOR EVER USE EXPEDIA AGAIN--THEY LIE!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
magnusonhotelbatonro, Webmaster at Magnuson Hotel - Baton Rouge, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us during your recent visit to our area.

We definitely appreciate your review and observations.

In fact, it’s one of the only ways we can improve.

Thanks for all your observations and we have taken steps to improve upon your suggested areas.

We would like to invite you once again to choose is when you visit our area and experience the difference.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here one niggt as we drove from LA to DC. The room was in the same price range as other cities and located off a freeway. Once we arrived the room we were suppose to stay i would not open. After getting an ard security guard to check it out first before allowong me to walk in they realized they had left a families belonging in the room and locked it up to force them to pay.

The guests living their long term were rough. I was worried my car would be broken into and even slept with a knife.

Staff was terrible. House keeping woke us up at 9 after we drove all night and then stood outside our dopr at 11 to throw us out. Worst hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Magnuson Hotel Baton Rouge for your recent stay in our area.

We are sorry that it wasn’t the pleasant experience you had anticipated.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated.

We have given special training to the hotel staff to offer our guests the best hospitality and service always.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, You will once again choose us for your stay.

We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be pleased.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The bed sheet was not clean and when I asked for some clean sheet I was told that he couldn't then I asked for a refund and I was told that I couldn't get a refund so never will I stay here again !!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Kelsey08
magnusonhotelbatonro, Webmaster at Magnuson Hotel - Baton Rouge, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Esteemed Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to our area.

We also appreciate your review and observations which shall really help us to improve further.

Additional measures have been taken to ensure the best cleanliness and proper amenities in the rooms. All rooms are being thoroughly checked before a new guest is checked in.

We also have taken all the steps to ensure that our guests get the best services and hospitality during their stay.

We invite you once again to choose our hotel again and feel the new experience of hospitality.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

When I arrived in my room it had a stinky odor... there were no clean wash linen in the room I had to go to the office to get some and did not receive any til a hour later .... then the next morning laundry woke me up out of my sleep @ 9 to get dirty wash linen its 1o'clock I have not received any fresh wash linen yet ... and to top it off the room next to me has a dog that has been barking all night and morning...WORST HOTEL EVER wouldn't recommend to my worst ENEMY....

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank iluvteddy09
magnusonhotelbatonro, Webmaster at Magnuson Hotel - Baton Rouge, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us during your recent visit to our area.

We appreciate your review and also thank you for finding the check in and checkout matched your expectations.

We are addressing your observations related to the room features and cleanliness and you shall definitely find the change during your next visit.

Each room is now individually checked and certified before checking in a new guest.

We await your next trip to our area and promise a nice stay with us.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was in Baton Rouge for a business meeting and was looking for an inexpensive place to stay. THIS was a great deal. I saw it advertised in the coupon books that you can get at welcome centers etc and decided to try it. I was VERY impressed! The room was clean and comfortable, and had a fridge and microwave in it. I will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Britt T, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel - Baton Rouge, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Thank you for the kind words, I will share them with our staff, which is striving to help keep the standards on the rise! Please come and stay with again when you are in Baton Rouge.

Respectfully,

Britt Thompson, GM

Reviewed February 28, 2013

The management and staff at the Magnuson Hotel Baton Rouge were helpful and welcoming from the moment I walked into the lobby without a reservation.

The clean and well cared for appearance of the place was reassuring and I felt safe the whole week I stayed. It's set back from the highway, so there's not much traffic noise.

Everything in the room worked and was clean, and service was fast and frequent. The laundry room had new machines and while I was using it someone came in to sweep and shine things, though they hardly needed it.

But most of all, they helped me find my way round the area, and the new, strange to me but delicious Louisiana breakfasts with friendly warmth and generosity. (My first visit to USA from UK.)

Room Tip: You might like to ask for a view of the pool and its mature palm trees.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Steve, I hope your trip home was safe and uneventful! The staff and I appreciate your kind words and will have a room for you when next you visit the "swamps and nature walks" in our area!

Please come back when the winter slows your business down next year!

Respectfully,

Britt Thompson, GM

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The service at the front desk was very poor! The front desk person did not know what they were doing! No ashtrays in a smoking room! Bathroom has burn marks all over it! Hair all over tub and ice bucket! Will not stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank yvette292

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Magnuson for your recent stay in our area.

We are sorry that it wasn’t the experience you had anticipated, whatever may have went wrong.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. We take our reviews very seriously.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees. Complete pest control and fumigation has been done.

• The desk clerk received additional training in the courteous manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose us for your stay and you can experience the change.