“Sadly, Sheraton no longer runs it & it shows.”

Belle of Baton Rouge Casino & Hotel
Ranked #64 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Let me start by saying that we stayed here 6 years ago, back when it was a Sheraton and it was great. When I checked in yesterday, I was at the front desk speaking to the person behind the counter to get my room key and a heavy set maintenance guy came rushing over, leaned in on the counter in front of me and interrupted our conversation to talk about some work issue. (seems like he could have waited 1 second, or at least brought it to his own supervisor). I am not high-maintenance but I stay at a LOT of hotels all over the U.S.. The staff person could have said either "excuse me" or "sorry to interrupt...". The guy checking me in didn't smile or make eye contact and lacked all basics of a warm welcome. Next, housekeeping wanted to come in within 5 mins. of checking into the room & I said no thanks - the woman asked if I'd sign something. There is no "Please Do Not Disturb" door knob hangers. Who has heard of a hotel without this simple convenience? Then when we were leaving for dinner at around 8:30 pm, Luther Vandross-ish music was crackly/blasting (not even decent sound quality) and you couldn't talk to the person next to you without yelling. From 6p-8p, there were kids and a barking dog in the hallway. The pool is only open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. What if you wanted to take a dip before heading out to work? Pretty lame hours. Also, the valet service was not polite and acted like we were bothering him. Our company will not be staying here again. Really disappointed that we didn't stay at the Hilton. The General Manager of Belle of Baton Rouge should consider sending his staff to a nice hotel for a morale-boosting workshop, (as most of them seem to hate their job) so they can see how most hotel staff treat their guests. P.S. The Atrium seems to be a gorgeous space with such potential if there was a bit more professionalism.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed February 7, 2010

Twice as good as last years stay, but still needs improvement. I am forced to stay at this hotel every year for a Mardi Gras event. Every year I write a review and blast the poor service at this property. Well this year it was twice as good as last year, but still needs attention. This hotel knows it will be completely occupied these dates every year. The local Mardi Gras Krewes fill up the downtown hotels. So not having enough staff is inexcusable. The rooms are fine, it is the service that is poor.

The check in process had improved 100% over previous years. Keys were made up in advance and we didn't have to wait 45 minutes to check in. Check out was just as easy. Thanks for the effort. That's it for the improvements.

Suggestions:
If you are going to have Valet Parking, then have ATTENDANTS!! Otherwise do away with it. You can't get them to take your car and you can't get them to retrieve your car. So why have it.

If you are going to have a bar, then STAFF IT!! Closing the bar at 10:15 PM when it is completely full of thirsty patrons makes no sense. Probably the only bar in South Louisiana to EVER close at 10:15 PM. An absolute disgrace to the legacy of the area. It is Mardi Gras, people are inclined to DRINK!! Let them spend their money!!

If you are going to have bathrooms and inside plumbing, then have the amenities needed. Very few people have stayed at more hotels than me and this was the first time I didn't have any soap in the bathroom. A very simple task, and easy to correct. Everywhere but this Sheraton.

If you are going to have a Concierge Floor, then have a Concierge!!

They are making improvements here. However, at the current rate of improvement, I'll be too old or dead before they reach my expectations of a Sheraton property.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Not the best of places....if parking in the covered parking lot that was for both the casino and hotel, it is located in the worst area for both, and there is really no direction of how to enter the hotel from it. The bed was comfortable; however, noisy guests that I heard until well after 2 A.M. coming back to their rooms and then having to listen to staff talking very loudly out in the hall at 7 A.M. was enough to make me get out of town earlier than I planned.
Bathroom is very small, the lighting is poor, there were two black hairs on the sink vanity (not mine), no stopper in the sink, and the tub filled with water as I was taking a shower. Upon checkout, I wasn't even asked if I enjoyed my stay. I'll try not to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Very nice room. Typical to a Sheraton. The bathroom is ridiculously small, you actually have to stand on the side of the toilet to shut the door to the bathroom. The door to the bathroom is maybe one inch from the front of the toilet, so its difficult to shut the door. The hotel should really install pocket doors.

Otherwise perfect for one night.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2009

First let me say that this was a decent hotel and served my purposes. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the restaurants were good. The location was where I needed to be, but I wouldn't have wanted to be outside too late. The issue I had though was the tub. The bottom of it was almost rounded, and I fell in the tub because of this. They credited me $50, but since it was a business trip it didn't really benefit me any, and the knot is still on my shin over a month later! And I know it wasn't just me being clumsy because another person in my group also fell in their tub due to the same reason. They should definitely leave a bathmat in the bathroom as so many hotels do!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank ACoolJeweledMoon
Reviewed November 1, 2009

We stay here every year for the Spanishtown Mardi Gras Ball. The hotel is now totally non-smoking! Yippee! The rooms are clean, but the bathrooms are small. When we checked in this time, our room was not ready yet. They gave us another more expensive room for the same price! They apologized for not having the room ready.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2009

In Baton Rouge on business. Wound up parking in the Casino parking garage, as it wasn't apparent where I should park -- It's free, but I certainly didn't feel safe walking from the car at night over to the hotel. The hotel and convention center looked like it probably was a jewel at one time, but it seemed rather depressing, as it was a vacant shell when I was there (only a couple of stragglers to the casino).
It's basically an average-at-best hotel -- it will do the trick, but won't impress. Front reception was very nice and was lucky enough to be bumped up to the concierge floor. The attendant on the floor was nice enough to allow me in to grab a quick drink, even though she was in the middle of closing it down to head home for the night.
Didn't like the fact that the curtains are designed not to close.
Overall, I would stay here again, but it's not a place I would rave about.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Erick A, Owner at Belle of Baton Rouge Casino & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2015

Bobby_Bluenoser, it's disappointing to hear you didn't full enjoy yourself while you were staying in Baton Rouge, but we appreciate you staying with us and sharing your feedback. We want our guests to feel welcome and comfortable here, and overall it sounds like we hit the mark. Anytime you're in town whether for business or pleasure we'd be happy to welcome you back. Hopefully you'll have a little more free time to enjoy yourself!

Best wishes,