“Very Disappointing!!”

Ranked #67 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Alexandria, VA
“Very Disappointing!!”
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I booked this hotel for work travel and figured it would be a fun break to gamble at the riverboat casino. I also looked forward to the comfort I usually experience with Sheraton hotels.

I was extremely disappointed. First, the area the hotel is located is extremely bad. There is construction everywhere people are loitering all around and the city is a ghost town. No where to eat without heading to the attached restaurant Shucks. While there is a nice river walk, I felt very unsafe and even got catcalls and beggars approaching me.

The room was adequate. It was reasonable clean, but the most humid and moist room I have ever stayed in. After a few hours being in the room, my clothes, work papers and luggage was all moist. There was also a knat infestation, which was slightly concerning. The room was extremely dark and my view was of a brick wall of a parking garage.

The only potential to save the visit was the riverboat gambling and I have to say it was one of the most depressing experiences of my life. The riverboat is old, smelly and filled with seniors gambling away the little money they had. I will NEVER return!!

One positive was that they had a wonderful breakfast buffet, although it was expensive it was worth it!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Chicago
Reviewed June 20, 2008

I would not recommend an evening stroll around the neighborhood of this hotel. If you like the river and casino this is for you, if not, there are better areas to stay.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Baton Rouge hotels

Suriname/Atlanta Georgia US
Reviewed May 27, 2008

This Sheraton Hotel is in a decent location of Baton Rouge. Close downtown, minutes to shopping and airport. The lobby area is nice. The rooms are ok, but not the level to expect with the Sheraton Hotel name. The bathroom/shower is very small. Staff was decent. However, the staff didnot seem to deal with the problem guests. Each nite was horrible, as far as guests on our hall. Constant yelling, doors slamming, and various noises from a few rooms. This was all occurring at between midnite and 0300. The overnite front desk staff said it would be taken care of, however, nothing was done. There werenot any other available rooms for us, so we checked out.

• Liked — lobby decor
  • Disliked — sleep-less nites
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed March 29, 2008

The rooms reminded me of Motel 6. Actually, I've been in nicer Motel 6's. The loby is very nice, but that is where it stops. The room was small, the decor was average, and the bathroom was tiny. You almost have to get on the toilet to shut the bathroom door. The curtains would not close all the way so if you had to do any daytime sleeping you would be out of luck.

There was no complimentary breakfast and no free wireless internet. Breadfast cost me $12 a day and $10 a day for the internet that was advertised for free. The free internet is a computer in a, "cafe." I was unplesantly surprised by this because I would not have choosen this hotel if I had known I was going to have to pay $50 for internet service. That's more than I pay in a month for my server.

For the amount of money paid I expected at least continental breakfast and complimentary internet. I've stayed in far better rooms with many more amenities for less than half of what I paid here. I'm not impressed and won't use Sheraton again. Lesson learned.

• Liked — Leaving.
  • Disliked — Seeing my room.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
emily111
Reviewed February 17, 2008

This was booked through my husbands work we had a banquet and I have to say I was very impressed with this hotel. The rooms were wonderful the beds so comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was the best I ever had in a hotel. They were all so so nice every employee. I had a great stay and I am picky so I am not easy to please but I cannot find one thing bad about this hotel or any of the emloyees. Well worth the money and great location to walk around downtown or if you like the casino ( I dont) :)

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Gretna, Louisiana
Reviewed January 20, 2008

The people who work for this hotel make it as good as it is. I brought my mother here for her 70th birthday and we absolutely had a blast!!! My mother and I would especially like to commend Rickey--Valet, Kevin--Bartender, Anna--Management, Jabari--Valet, and Thomas--we think he is responsible for everything. Without these people our stay would not have been as good. There was one minor issue and that is the housekeeping. We were promised that our issue would be discussed at the next in house meeting. The beds in this place are heavenly. My mother usually wakes up at 5:00 in the morning and she slept to 9:30. It was almost a miracle. Keep up the great work!!

• Liked — The people who work for the Baton Rouge Sheraton
  • Disliked — Buffet and Casino
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Lake Charles, LA
Reviewed December 1, 2007

We have stayed at this hotel several times in the past for conferences. While the facility is OK, the rooms are small and somewhat cramped. The service at the hotel is mixed with some staff being friendly and helpful and others acting as if you are an interruption. Be aware also that the concierge floor only provides a very limited continental breakfast and in the evenings only provides free soft drinks and cookies - alcohol will cost you $6.00 per drink. . It is also has a casino on a riverboat connected to the hotel after a long walk but it is cramped and smoky.

As an example, our room was not serviced by the time we went back to the room after 4:00pm. Now the room was empty from 9:00am so one would think that staff could have serviced the room sometime during the seven hours. When I asked the cleaning staff about this, they said that someone would get around to cleaning it and didn't seemed very concerned. We left the room and came back several hours later to find the room had been serviced but seemed to have been done in a hurried manner.

Also, every stay at this hotel, some facility is either broken, under repair or being renovated. I could understand this happening during a single stay but this has been over multiple stays. It would be nice if this hotel was better because it is the only hotel next to the conference center.

• Liked — Near the conference center
  • Disliked — Overall disappointment because it could be better - poor housekeeping
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business