“A Breath of Fresh Air” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Gulf Shores, Alabama
“A Breath of Fresh Air”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

The Renaissance Baton Rouge is a wonderful experience. The hotel is beautiful--artfully decorated, the live plants everywhere a nice touch! Each staff member encountered--from front desk to the restaurant to the housekeeping staff--was professional and very conscious of making sure the customer was serviced properly. Obviously, all staff were well trained. Having traveled extensively for business through the years, this experience, although for a leisure trip, was an incredible experience!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

I spent two nights last weekend at this hotel and was immediately impressed upon driving up and walking in. The lobby is very modern and the decorations/furniture definitely catch your eye. However, upon checking in, the woman at the front desk (which is a small table) never looked up or made any sort of eye contact. She never said anything other than the room number, and I even had to ask to confirm she had the correct rate. She mumbled yes, in response. The best service we had all weekend was from the bellhop, who was great! However, upon walking down the long hallway (our room was the very last one next to the staircase), I noticed probably 15 room service trays left outside the doors. Some had juice, cereal and coffee and clearly been there since breakfast--we checked in after 9pm. When we got to our room, there were 2 dirty wine glasses left outside the door and a fridge inside sitting in the middle of the room (not one that is normally in the room). The bellboy even remarked that it was odd it was there, and I had the strongest feeling that someone else had been in the room since it had been cleaned. It looked clean, but you never know. I went back to the front desk to inquire, and another woman said that it was cleaned and that the glasses were likely left from this morning. She then said that room service plates and glasses are not picked up until the evening. She also said someone would pick up the fridge (this was about 9:45), but at midnight, I put the do not disturb sign on and went to bed. The fridge remained in the center of the room during the trip.

The room itself was modern and nice, but the toilet also clearly had not been thoroughly cleaned. That plus the sheer number of dirty dishes on the hall and the fact that I never once checked into a room that had dirty glasses directly outside that room's door just made me think that the service/cleanliness isn't where it needs to be. The lobby, bar, outdoor eating area, and pool are impressive, but I do not plan to return. (I e-mailed this response to Marriott on Monday morning and was told it had been forwarded to the hotel directly, but I have not yet received a response.)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
I know we have corresponded over email but I wanted to again express my apologies. Thank you for taking your time to review and thank you for responding to my email so quickly. I hope that your next stay is as fabulous as you have expected this one to be!

All the best!
Pleasant View, Tn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

We were in town for a family wedding. To begin with when we went to check in they didn't have the double queen bed we had reserved, however the hotel did accomodate us for the same rate into two rooms with queen beds. The decor is beautiful. The rooms were very nicely decorated and designed. I assume we were put into handicap accessible rooms, as there wasn't a bath tub, but a shower with a seat in it and rails all over the room. The shower made things a little more difficult as we have a 3 year old who likes to bathe, vs shower, however we made do. The next issue was the temperature in the room. It was warm upon entering, we adjusted the thermostat and allowed sufficient time for the room to cool down, which it never did. After giving our 3 year old a shower, followed by they 2 of us taking showers, at that point it was miserable in the room. We had the thermostat down to 65(which is the furthest we could adjust it to, it wouldn't go any lower), and the room never got below 72 at any point during our stay. Even when we would go out of the room and come back in some time later, it would still be hot in the room. Had we not have been so exhausted from a full day, I doubt we would have slept bc it was very uncomfortable. We took the comforter and sheet off the bed and just slept on top of the flat sheet because it was so warm. The following morning, we went down for breakfast, which was nice, a little pricey, but nice. We went for a walk out on the patio, and it was filthy. They had a private reception there the night before, but by 10:30 you would think there would have been someone there to clean it up. There were beer bottles all over the place, cigarette butts covered the floor, there were even half eaten slices of pizza on the ground. It looked like a tornado had come through the area. Going back inside to use the restroom on the first floor, out of 4 or 5 stalls none of them had toilet paper. The trash cans were overflowing with paper towels and trash. Like I said, I fully understand they had a large party there the night before, however they should accomodate and plan staff to clean up accordingly. The final straw was when I checked my checking account and noticed that they had charged me twice for the stay. They had charged the card I used to reserve the room, and charged the card we paid with. This lead to me having to call the hotel, followed by them having to call my bank and have the charges taken off of my card. Overall, it just wasn't a very pleasant stay. It looks very pretty on the outside, but once in, it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be in our eyes. Very doubtful we would stay again considering everything that we had to deal with for the price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Misty S
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us on your recent stay. We understand your concerns and want to completely apologize for your experience. Although we try to guarantee room types to all requests sometimes we experience a situation where we need to adjust. We completely understand the difficulties this presented with having a 3 year old child. We apologize for the cleanliness issues you experienced as well and have followed up with all of our staff members accordingly. We know that from this point forward we will not see occurences such as these affecting our hotel guests.

We sincerely hope we are able to serve you in the future, so that you are able to see the changes that we are implementing now. Again, our sincere apologies and please let me know if there is anything that I can do in addition to this response.

All the best,
hm@renaissancebatonrouge.com
Chesterfield, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

Most definitely an uppercrust hotel, staff very professional and efficient. Only stayed one night, but would recommend for those who want more than just a place to sleep. I give the location only OK, as it is on a busy street across from a busy mall and can be a bit difficult to accedss during rush hour. Did not get a chance to sample the restaurant as gthis was typical late arrival, early departure business trio, but everything looks great. Cost is about 50% more than most nearby hotels, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

Amazing decor and features but the service was lacked a great deal. Maybe it was b/c they just opened...The room service took entirely too long. We had to wait 2 hrs for breakfast one morning after ordering it in advance. We were told we'd only have to wait 30min. Then one nite we had food to go and then needed utensils and it took 45min for them to bring us utensils.
To say the occupancy level was really low that weekend we were staying, the room service took entirely too long.
At any rate, we made sure they accommodated us for the inconvenience.
I would stay here again but I hope the service is better.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay. I sincerely apologize for the issues you had with service and want you to feel confident that on your next stay these issues will have been remedied. We want all of our guests to feel completely taken care and that their requests are just as important to us as they are to you. Again, my apologies and please reach out if there is anything additional I can do. We hope to see you again soon!

hm@renaissancebatonrouge.com
The Woodlands, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Bed was incredible, love the clean lines and modern decor found throughout rooms and common areas. Completely unexpected in BR compared to all the supposedly 'equal star level' hotels in town. I came in late at night, very grumpy myself, had one minor problem and found staff extremely helpful and pleasant. Baton rouge has finally upped the ante with this Renaissance property! Kudos Marriott!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our beautiful hotel! We are very glad to know we were able to rid you of the grumps and that it was done in a swanky and hip Renaissance environment. We hope you visit us again very soon!

Delighted!
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend. I was so impressed with the decor and the quality of everything. Especially loved the wallpaper in the bathrooms that had French words and there pronunciations The exercise room was the best I've seen. Even had fresh fruit to snack on in there. Loved everything about t place. We even got an excellent deal through Priceline to book the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012