“Clean Comfortable Rooms & Convenient to the River Center Area”

Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown Riverfront
Ranked #9 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Charlotte, NC
“Clean Comfortable Rooms & Convenient to the River Center Area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a 3 day weekend and thought this was a good place to stay. The room is modern with excellent WiFi access. We had coupons for an arrival drink at the bar and an "on the go"--pick and choose breakfast. We found the offerings ample and the staff very accommodating. Our only negatives were booming music from the park one evening until 11:30 PM and the closing off of streets during that event and one the following evening. One morning we were awakened by what seemed like an endless supply of 4 wheelers or garbage trucks at 6 AM. The room was modern with good comfort controls mounted on the walls--sometimes the a/c roared into action but we quickly became used to it. The staff/service resulted in me rating this very good instead of average. We have friends and family in the area and opt to stay at various hotels when we come into town so we're not on top of each other for 3 to 4 days. This was my first stay in the downtown area and I would do it again. The elevators were very quick and we never waited more than a minute. If I stay at this hotel again, I'd request a room that was high and not facing Convention Street. 4 stars for the valets and front desk staff...very friendly. This is my second stay at Indigo properties and I haven't decided if I prefer them over Marriott properties, they are completely opposite--Indigo= very modern with a shower only bath and Marriott= a more traditional hotel room with a tub/shower bath. In Baton Rouge the Indigo is significantly quieter than the Marriott which is just off I-10 and major road noise.

Room Tip: I would request a room that is as high as you can get and not facing Convention Street.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1NCfoodie
Francis G, Sales Coordinator at Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear 1NCfoodie, I appreciate you taking the time out to share your review with us. I am glad that you took this opportunity to stay downtown. We are a very unique hotel, and I am pleased that you got a chance to experience that. We do our best to make sure that each guest feels at home while they are with us. I am excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We hope that you will keep us in mind for future trips to Baton Rouge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Vicksburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great location, nice hotel and very pleasant and helpful staff. The bar area and lobby was very nice. Valet and front desk staff very helpful and friendly. The staff in the restaurant could have been more knowledgable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Fulcher60, thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy our King Bar and Bistro. We hope that you will keep us in mind for future trips to Baton Rouge.
Baton Rouge, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Wife and I played tourist for the evening in our hometown. The property is a boutique hotel, not conventional as your normal road side inn. The lobby is inviting and the bar was great. The room has hardwood floors and an upgraded bath which is typical of Hotel Indigo. Room service in the morning was very nice. The property is within walking distance to great restaurants and the bars on third street. I plan on staying again next time we have the rare opportunity to go out for a night on the town in our own backyard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Veefox, thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown for staycation! It is an awesome idea to get out and explore your hometown. We are a very unique to hotel, and I am glad that you and wife got the chance to experience that. I will share your kind words with room service, and we are looking for to seeing you again!
Mobile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

But for a few glitches, i would have given the Indigo a 5 out of 5. The staff is generally very friendly. The lobby and rooms are clean and inviting. Neat decor and space utilization. The hotel is directly across from river access, though we didn't get to check out the river because of rain.

My teenage daughter and I stayed at the Indigo for a recent trip to Baton Rouge to see an LSU game. We chose the hotel because it is located on the CATS bus service to the games and we did not have a parking pass for this game.

Because it was a game weekend and because the hotel is on the tailgate express shuttle finding the hotel was a bit of a problem. The buses park in front of the lobby door and in front of the valet stand; so if you don't know the exact location of the hotel it looks as though the 200 block of Convention street is a bar/coffee shop because that's all you can see. I made the block three times before finally parking on a side street in the "valet pick up" area. On games days, it would help to move the valet a few feet toward the corner so the uninitiated can see the valet stand and logo.

Once we found the place, check in was very smooth with friendly desk clerks and the valet kindly walked around to the pick up area to take care of the car. At check in I received a drink voucher for being a member of the hotel's frequent traveler club (two thumbs up) and tickets for breakfast the next morning. I was told that dinner was served in the restaurant/bar until 11 p.m., room service was available 24 hours a day but the cut off for the dinner menu was 11 p.m. We were also told the times for breakfast service in the a.m.

The lobby is clean and inviting. Off the lobby is the restaurant/coffee shop/bar. In the early afternoon on the day of an LSU game, it was decidedly a bar crowd.

Our room was a 2 double bed room on the top (7th) floor. It was small but very functional. My daughter called it a "great use of space." And, with the exception of the bathroom layout, I would agree with that description. The room is compact but functional and the decor makes it feel roomier than it actually is. The room was clean and the beds were fabulously comfortable with great pillows and plenty of covers. The air condition was louder than many hotels but the continuous hum did help with the little bit of street noise.

The bathroom has a HUGE glass shower with nice Aveda products. The makeup/sink/vanity is VERY small with little room to the side of the sink to put anything. There are shelves under the sink but not enough space to store essentials on top. The bathroom was clean and the towels were large and fluffy. The Indigo did fail my pet peeve of skimping on towels - only 3 towels for 2 people.

Sleep quality was iffy. The people in the room next door were loud - very loud at about midnight when they came in from the game. They were apparently travelling in a group because they talked in the hall for an extended period of time, then someone started banging on their door before 8 in the morning. We could hear every knock and every conversation -- at the door, in the room, in the hall. In addition, the horns from the boat traffic reminded me of the old days when the train horns would sound on a regular basis.

The bus service to the game was terrific. Pick up and drop off was at the hotel. There was no wait to get on the bus at the hotel and minimal wait when we were ready to return home (note - we left mid-way through the third quarter; I've heard the lines get quite long at the end of the game). It was much easier than dealing with traffic and parking at the game; it was $10 well spent to be dropped at gates 1-6 at the stadium.

The main glitch we experienced was upon our return to the hotel. We had looked at the room service menu and decided to order from that menu when we returned from the game. We came back well before room service was supposed to cut off only to be told that the only food available was the pre-packaged stuff available in a cooler case by the bar. Neither the hot food menu nor the "whenever" menu was available - would have been nice to know before 10:30 at night particularly traveling with a child with food allergies who could not eat anything in the case except the fruit cup (not exactly a hearty dinner). Finally got to a manager who agreed to fix each of us a chicken salad plate. Two chicken salads, a latte, and a beer was over $40. The chicken salad was good, but obviously pricey.

Breakfast was also a big question mark. The in-room menu advertised a variety of choices available, but the only food actually available was the buffet or the premade stuff in the case. The buffet was okay -- eggs, grits, bacon/ham, biscuits -- but I'm glad I had opted for the room and breakfast option and was not paying full price. Staff in the breakfast area was very nice. Keep in mind coffee is extra - not included with the buffet.

Overall it was a great game day stop and we will definitely stay there again. Next time I'll bring food with us so we don't have the issues with room service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kelly W, thank you for taking the time to share your review this us. I will take in to consideration everything that you have mentioned. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while trying to order food off of our over night menu. I am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay here with us at Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown. We do try to maximize the potential of our wonderful historic building, yet keep a certain level of functionality. We hope to see you again on a future trip to Baton Rouge.
Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here for a LSU game weekend. We normally don't even go downtown in Baton Rouge but were pleasantly surprised at the revitalization of this area. The hotel staff was so nice and accomadating. The bar had a great mixologist that was fun to watch. The rooms were a bit smaller than normal of this chain but it is a refurbished downtown building. We had a view of the river. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Request high floor and river view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WBass2, Sales Coordinator at Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Samlamb, thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay downtown. You are correct our mixologist is fun to watch. We hope that you will continue to join us downtown on future visits to Baton Rouge. See you soon!
Lafayette, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites and had missed Breakfast due to our late arrival at the hotel. They suggested Breakfast here at the Indigo. So we walked to the buffet Breakfast cost is $11.95 so we got there and the egg container was empty except a spoonful that my sister received. When the waitress came we advised. They never refilled the eggs they were picking up the breakfast. She never brought my sisters water or refilled the coffee. I went up to the bar area to get some water and coffee and the bar tender was waiting on another customer so I waited. In the meantime another customer came up to the bar. The bartender asked can I help you to the other customer. He stated she was here first. The bar tender response was oh she doesn't matter she came the breakfast buffet so what can I get for you. I demanded to see a manager. She was very apologetic and gave us our breakfast for free however I would never go back or advise anyone to go there with that type of attitude I am very thankful that I did not have a room. It really is sad because this is a place I have always wanted to stay at but I could not book them the night before because it said they were full. I will never stay with now or do I have a desire to. Thank you to the manager for the breakfast but the staff needs a huge attitude adjustment.

Room Tip: If this is how they treat someone who is paying 11.95 for breakfast I would hate to think how they w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
WBass2, Sales Coordinator at Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Car31525
First and foremost I would like to apologize for your less than perfect experience at our breakfast buffet. We are looking to this manner in grave detail to ensure that it does not happen again. I sincerely hope that you will join us again so that we can provide you with the customer service that you deserve. Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown.
South Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

First night of our three night stay, but verrry happy. Fun menu, great staff, spotlessly clean. The room is small, but that just means a shorter walk to the bathroom.
My wife does not like dogs, but the greeter is a fluffy dog that is so cute, friendly, and well mannered that she wanted to take him to the room.
The room rates were reasonable, especially for a game weekend.
There are several restaurants a bars within a block, or three, but don't overlook Indigo's menu, like duck pizza and the crawfish dishes.
We're both very pleased.

Room Tip: The second floor is a bit bumoy, with sounds from below.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WBass2, Sales Coordinator at Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Riecke, thanks for choosing Hotel Indigo Baton Rouge Downtown. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, also, that you were greeted by our hotel ambassador, Huey!! We just love having him around. I am excited to hear that you got to indulge in some of the tasty treats from our wonderful King Bar and Bistro, the crawfish dishes are some of my favorites. I am looking forward to seeing you again in the future.