“Great Place To Encounter Louisiana Cookin'”
Review of Dempsey's Poboys - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dempsey's Poboys
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We each had the fried jumbo shrimp platter with fries and hush puppies, Mary with green beans seasoned with Cajun seasoning (a tiny zing, but not really hot), and I with the house salad with a green oil & vinegar & Parmesan dressing. Our server was Alicia, and she wowed us. Did you ever watch one of those Food Channel shows where they evaluate restaurant staff? You know, where the wait staff knows next-to-nothing about what goes into their product(s)? Well, there was nothing Alicia didn't seem to know. We told her we were Louisiana cooking virgins, and she explained every aspect of the menu. The food was good, the service friendly and inviting, and we left having really had an enjoyable dining experience.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I arrived into Baton Rouge and this was our first stop. I've been in BTR dozens of times and found Dempsey's via tripadvisor and a recommendation from a friend in the area. He said it was solid and consistent--he was right.

My wife had the seafood gumbo and loved it. Our server was great and asked my wife if she'd like a little more rice, when she said yes, he said that he thought it needed a little more too. I had the shrimp po boy and it was wonderful. Adequate fresh tasting shrimp that were not greasy and ample lettuce and tomato on crisp French bread. The natural cut fries that came with my po boy were good. I've had po boys at 3 places (probably 12 po boys in the area over the years) at places in BTR and this one was the best among the bunch. While very good, it was not quite as good as a couple I've had in NOLA.

The service was excellent and our drinks were refilled 3 times. Our waiter asked if we were local to the area and when we said no, he made a couple of restaurant recommendations....we told him we were familiar with them and had a dinner scheduled at one of them the next night.

When we entered the restaurant, there were at least 8 policemen eating and that kinda' told us this must be a decent place. There special plate lunches looked great but I'd been on line and knew what I was going to get. I'll be back in BTR during Christmas and Dempsey's will be a definite stop. Excellent lunch and great service. I saw a fried shrimp gumbo plate (gumbo, fried shrimp, and fried okra) and it looked tremendous! Too many good things to choose from.

2  Thank 1NCfoodie
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our family was visiting Baton Rouge for the day and we ate dinner at Dempsey's and I have to say the food was great! There were 30 people in our party yet the service was wonderful, our food was perfect and they were able to serve us all and get us back on the road for our long drive back to Florida. My husband is from New Orleans and a large part of that group was his family and they know their New Orleans cuisine so for all of them to be impressed says a lot about the quality of food being served. Thank you for doing such a great job and next time we are in Baton Rouge we will be dining with you guys again.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Dempsey's not only has the friendliest staff, but also the best catfish, onion rings and green beans around. When I told them I wanted to take some home to FL they went above and beyond allowing me to place my order a day ahead and cooking the green beans as a special order. They even bagged it for easy packing in an already well-packed truck. My roommate had never tried catfish or "cajun" cooking and the way her face lit up when she exclaimed, "I LIKE catfish!" just made my day! Thanks, y'all, can't wait to come back! ~M Grant

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

The food is always good! I don't think we have ever ordered something here that wasn't good. The boudin balls and burgers are good. Something a little more of the richer side try the shrimp marnase(sp?) it's can be really busy at lunch so u try and go in the evenings. The staff is always friendly.