“Unsatisfied”

Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge
Ranked #25 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
“Unsatisfied”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was my husband and I's night away...
Something that we never get to do nor can.we afford to do and we chose your hotel thinking that we would enjoy our stay per viewing your website....our first impression of your hotel was when we walked thru your front entrance and a horrible stench of something dead hit his in the face.....as we walked off of the elevator to the floor where our room was located the heat and again the same stench hit us as it did when we entered tje front entrance to your hotel......besides the fact that our air conditioner didnt cool off the room and as we finally get comfortable enough to fall asleep cause it was hot someone was vaccuming in the hall way....I normally dont let the small thins get to me like this but like i said before we cant afford to do things like this often so it was kind of a disappointment...We also told the girl at tje front desk that checked us in and she looked at us like we pissed her off.....

Maurine & Yates Usie
musie@parkplacesurgery.com

• Stayed April 2013
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the Radisson Baton Rouge. I am very dissapointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations and our own high standards for guest satisfaction, especially as it was such a rare and special occasion for you and your husband. Unfortunately the smell is a problem we are fully aware of and are doing everything possible with Baton Rouge City Sanitation Department to rectify as soon as possible. I am also disappointed that the front desk did not handle this correctly as we always try to listen and find the best solutions to any guest problems.

I hope, despite your reservation you will give us another chance for any future reservations, with an assurance of the my fullest attention and commitment to making your next stay memorable for the right reasons. If you do make another reservation, please do let me know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reviewed April 12, 2013

First time stay here, everything is good.very friendly and professional.i really enjoyed at the bar,and the pool.only thing I did not like was the noise from the interstate.next time I will stay again if I get good rate!

• Stayed March 2013
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Baton Rouge and your kind words about our staff and facilities. Please do contact me direct at the hotel for your next booking and I assure you of my fullest commitment to allocating you a room away from the highway. On behalf of all the staff at the Radisson Baton Rouge, we hope to see you again in the very near future.
Katy, Texas
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Got a very good deal from Priceline, room is nice and clean. The hotel has a very good location, right next to I10, there is a couple of restaurant nearby.Hotel has a nice lobby bar, serving food and drinks.Staff is very friendly and helpful, they really make me feel like home....

Room Tip: get room away from I 10
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Baton Rouge, we appreciate your kind words about the property and its staff. I am glad you took advantage of our offers on Priceline, we offer deals on there regularly and are about to launch on Living Social as well. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great place to stay excelent housepetality and very social nice place to hang nice pool great parking easy axcess from interstate front desk you just can't go wrong we the friendly smile from Kinjal ,Alex they are great .

• Stayed March 2013
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Radisson Baton Rouge. We appreciate your thoughts on our staff and the features of the hotel. The front desk really does enjoy the recognition it so richly deserves and we look forward to your next stay at the Radisson Baton Rouge.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked a room on Priceline we get our room it was ok,bed was nice.The bartender was great...Now the noise level was crazy,and it was nice being scammed by the manager Robert I think his name was by calling an unlicensed cab driver who charged us $20 to go 1.5 miles,then when I complained the manager with the mustache was no help and called me a name ..also I did not like how they charged my card $50 extra dollars 3 hours after I checked in and not even telling me as I write this I'm still waiting for my money to be put back on my card this is no 3star hotel ,managers are rude and will be telling all my friends and family not to stay at this hotel ever!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
On behalf of the Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, I would like to clarify a few points from your review. The Radisson Baton Rouge and the front desk in particular tries to accomodate and assist in all of our guest requests, Despite have a near full house managed to change your room type to a King on arrival, even though Priceline had made the reservation as a 2 Queen Bed room and we provide a 3rd party referral service for taxi driver's, all of whom we have used multiple times in the past with no issues other than waiting times. This is done as a courtesy for the guest and the hotel would gladly have called a different driver if you did not like the fare you discussed with the original driver.
The $50 authorization is a standard hotel policy adopted by many hotels and is only an authorization, not a charge against damages or can be used to allow guests to charge incidentals to the room. This is clearly stated at the front desk and on the guest signed registration card. We have a policy of asking for credit cards, however if the guest chooses to use a debit card, then the guest's bank will show that as a pending charge against their balance and this typically takes longer by the bank to be put back into the guests account. The front desk can assist you further if you need authorization reversal letter.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

From checking in till we checked out everybody was so friendly and so eager to help. I will stay here every time I come back to Baton Rouge. The room was very clean the beds are very comfortable, the shower was great this is a must stay at place.

• Stayed March 2013
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Radisson Baton Rouge. We appreciate your kind words and comments about our hotel and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for three nights recently, and I went in only a little alarmed by some of the reviews I had read. Upon walking through the lobby doors, I was pleased to not smell anything that was described in earlier reviews. The hotel smelled fine, and the lobby was, well, fine. Don't expect anything exceptional, and you will not be disappointed.

The front desk staff was wonderful, and accommodated my request for a room on the other side of the hotel from the highway (thanks for the suggestions from my TripAdvisor friends). Those earlier reviews are not understating the amount of noise from I-10. The room itself was fine, neither roomy nor cramped. It was quite clean, and the wood floors were an unusual touch, but they were also very clean.

After sharing these initial first impressions, I'll move on to some overall feedback about my experience, and I'll start with the good about the hotel. Again, the front desk clerk was outstanding--helpful, friendly, thorough. The bartender was also very good, although I was a little disappointed that the bar closes typically at 10pm on weekdays and 11pm on weekends. Maybe I am spoiled by my years living in Vegas, but this seemed pretty early. Lastly, the room amenities were fine: there was a refrigerator (very noisy, but I'll take that over having none at all), and a good iron, and sleep comfort beds that were adjustable for firmness.

Moving on to things I don't really care about, but others may--the decor is unusual. I couldn't quite figure out what specific regional style it was, but there was clearly a lot of thought and planning that went into it, and that is good enough for me. It was bright and not always easy on the eyes, but I don't necessarily like staying in hotels that look like every other hotel, so it didn't bother me. There is also only one elevator, although I never felt like I had to wait overly long for it. Finally, the hallways are VERY long, and the elevator is located at one end of the hall, so you may have quite a hike to the room (the front desk asked me at check-in if it would be a problem if my room was far from the elevator, and I certainly appreciated the heads up).

My stay was a negative experience overall because there were a few big things that they got wrong. I'll start with the most appalling to me, because it represents an intersection of two of my biggest hotel pet peeves--basic service failure and bad management response. On day two of my stay, I was out of my room from 9-2:30, returned to the room to rest and clean up for the evening (putting the DND card on my door) and leaving again at 4:30 (of course, removing the DND card). When I returned to the room at 11:00pm, the room had not been touched by housekeeping. Housekeeping was still on the floor when I left at 4:30, and I understand that if you stay in the room all day, it is hard for them to clean; but being in the room for less than two hours during the afternoon should not be a deal-breaker. And to me, having the room cleaned is one of those basic features that you pay for, and part of why staying in a hotel costs more money.

My reaction would not have been nearly as negative if the manager had responded appropriately. When I called down to report it, the manager said he was sorry, but I probably only needed fresh towels and was welcome to come down to the front desk to get them. I was so taken aback, I asked if he actually told me that if I wanted towels I needed to get them myself, and he explained that he was very sorry, but he was by himself, and he was very busy checking in customers (at 11:00pm) and that there was no one at the bar anymore (a lie, I had left there just a couple minutes before I called). When I got down to the front desk, I was given two complimentary bottles of water "for my trouble". Really? My room goes a day uncleaned and I have to fetch my own towels, and I get two bottles of water? No adjustment to the bill, or complimentary breakfast, or rip up a bar tab? That is just poor form. I reported it again to the front desk when I checked out (this was to the same person who checked me in, who was wonderful) and she said she would out a note on my reservation to give me a discount on a future stay. Nice, but I don't have any intention of coming back to a hotel where the service is hit or miss.

On a less concerning but still negative note, the rooms are terrible noisy. Walking down the hallway, one can hear clearly what is happening in each room, the fridge in the room hummed loudly and every time the air conditioning came on I wanted to shout, "Liftoff!!!!" Also, be advised that the hotel parking lot is tricky to get into. Upon exiting the 10, take the first right north of the underpass on Acadian--it looks like you are going into a gas station and La Quinta parking lot (there is a small Radisson sign). If ynfollow the lot back towards the highway and drive around the La Quinta you will find the Radisson. My GPS nearly exploded.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jay B
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
On behalf of the Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, I would like to apologize that we did not meet or exceed the guest satisfaction standards that we set for ourselves. I sincerely regret the miscommunication regarding your DND sign with our housekeeping department and that we did not make it right for you in an appropriate manner. We will endeavour to do much better in the future.