“Friendly place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 72 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Houston, Texas
“Friendly place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

From checking in till we checked out everybody was so friendly and so eager to help. I will stay here every time I come back to Baton Rouge. The room was very clean the beds are very comfortable, the shower was great this is a must stay at place.

• 4 of 5 stars
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Radisson Baton Rouge. We appreciate your kind words and comments about our hotel and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Grand Haven, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for three nights recently, and I went in only a little alarmed by some of the reviews I had read. Upon walking through the lobby doors, I was pleased to not smell anything that was described in earlier reviews. The hotel smelled fine, and the lobby was, well, fine. Don't expect anything exceptional, and you will not be disappointed.

The front desk staff was wonderful, and accommodated my request for a room on the other side of the hotel from the highway (thanks for the suggestions from my TripAdvisor friends). Those earlier reviews are not understating the amount of noise from I-10. The room itself was fine, neither roomy nor cramped. It was quite clean, and the wood floors were an unusual touch, but they were also very clean.

After sharing these initial first impressions, I'll move on to some overall feedback about my experience, and I'll start with the good about the hotel. Again, the front desk clerk was outstanding--helpful, friendly, thorough. The bartender was also very good, although I was a little disappointed that the bar closes typically at 10pm on weekdays and 11pm on weekends. Maybe I am spoiled by my years living in Vegas, but this seemed pretty early. Lastly, the room amenities were fine: there was a refrigerator (very noisy, but I'll take that over having none at all), and a good iron, and sleep comfort beds that were adjustable for firmness.

Moving on to things I don't really care about, but others may--the decor is unusual. I couldn't quite figure out what specific regional style it was, but there was clearly a lot of thought and planning that went into it, and that is good enough for me. It was bright and not always easy on the eyes, but I don't necessarily like staying in hotels that look like every other hotel, so it didn't bother me. There is also only one elevator, although I never felt like I had to wait overly long for it. Finally, the hallways are VERY long, and the elevator is located at one end of the hall, so you may have quite a hike to the room (the front desk asked me at check-in if it would be a problem if my room was far from the elevator, and I certainly appreciated the heads up).

My stay was a negative experience overall because there were a few big things that they got wrong. I'll start with the most appalling to me, because it represents an intersection of two of my biggest hotel pet peeves--basic service failure and bad management response. On day two of my stay, I was out of my room from 9-2:30, returned to the room to rest and clean up for the evening (putting the DND card on my door) and leaving again at 4:30 (of course, removing the DND card). When I returned to the room at 11:00pm, the room had not been touched by housekeeping. Housekeeping was still on the floor when I left at 4:30, and I understand that if you stay in the room all day, it is hard for them to clean; but being in the room for less than two hours during the afternoon should not be a deal-breaker. And to me, having the room cleaned is one of those basic features that you pay for, and part of why staying in a hotel costs more money.

My reaction would not have been nearly as negative if the manager had responded appropriately. When I called down to report it, the manager said he was sorry, but I probably only needed fresh towels and was welcome to come down to the front desk to get them. I was so taken aback, I asked if he actually told me that if I wanted towels I needed to get them myself, and he explained that he was very sorry, but he was by himself, and he was very busy checking in customers (at 11:00pm) and that there was no one at the bar anymore (a lie, I had left there just a couple minutes before I called). When I got down to the front desk, I was given two complimentary bottles of water "for my trouble". Really? My room goes a day uncleaned and I have to fetch my own towels, and I get two bottles of water? No adjustment to the bill, or complimentary breakfast, or rip up a bar tab? That is just poor form. I reported it again to the front desk when I checked out (this was to the same person who checked me in, who was wonderful) and she said she would out a note on my reservation to give me a discount on a future stay. Nice, but I don't have any intention of coming back to a hotel where the service is hit or miss.

On a less concerning but still negative note, the rooms are terrible noisy. Walking down the hallway, one can hear clearly what is happening in each room, the fridge in the room hummed loudly and every time the air conditioning came on I wanted to shout, "Liftoff!!!!" Also, be advised that the hotel parking lot is tricky to get into. Upon exiting the 10, take the first right north of the underpass on Acadian--it looks like you are going into a gas station and La Quinta parking lot (there is a small Radisson sign). If ynfollow the lot back towards the highway and drive around the La Quinta you will find the Radisson. My GPS nearly exploded.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jay B
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
On behalf of the Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, I would like to apologize that we did not meet or exceed the guest satisfaction standards that we set for ourselves. I sincerely regret the miscommunication regarding your DND sign with our housekeeping department and that we did not make it right for you in an appropriate manner. We will endeavour to do much better in the future.
Victoria, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We bookes through priceline and first if all the person at the desk was very nice. Upon check in I asked to use the lobby restroom to find it smelling like urine...yuck! This is the ladies even! We asked for an extra blanket and was given a clorox laden spottes blanket. We had to park in the back which was very dark and we actually walked another lady in because of her concern. The bottom floor in the back has a half wall that anyone could be hiding in and there is no way to check ur surroundings with that. The room was very small but we were only there for a short night so we could stack our stuff. Elevators very slow and small.

• 5 of 5 stars
On behalf of the Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, I would like to apologize that we did not meet or exceed the guest satisfaction standards that we set for ourselves. the lighting of both all car parking areas is high on our agenda and we hope to complete in the very near future.

I apologize again for the problems you encountered and would like to extend this opportunity for you to contact me direct at the hotel to discuss your issues or any suggestions you may wish to share. Additionally should you choose to book at the Radisson Baton Rouge again, I assure you of my fullest attention and commitment to making your next stay memorable for the right reasons .
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Service and personnel are excellent. Rates are great. Can't say enough. I'm in hotels 15 nights a month and the Radisson in Baton Rouge is one of my favorites! Huy is awesome at the bar is excellent. Kitjal at the counter is always friendly and accommodating!

• 5 of 5 stars
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Radisson Baton Rouge and are grateful that such an experienced hotel guest rates our hotel and staff so highly. We hope to see you again in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have come here for a couple years now and have committed not only my company solely to the Radisson but every other company I am having meetings with or if anyone ever asks me where to stay in Baton Rouge. As a businessman staying in multiple destinations all year long I only have one destination I am not trying to figure out where I can go, relax and feel at ease and it's this Baton Rouge Radisson and I blame/give all the credit to Huy (stated like we with a whofty W). He is the real deal, caring, thoughtful and attempts to please his guests as much as possible and will remember your kids kids name. He's impressive, the showers are the best showers in Baton Rouge and the unbelievable receptionists, Kinjal and Alex have the best smiles to see as first faces in the hotel. Much appreciated hotel as a person who stays in hotels like its his job.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for taking the time to both review the Radisson Baton Rouge and to praise our key members of staff, who enjoy reading these reviews and the recognition they deserve for the excellent job they do in making sure our guests experience above and beyond customer service. We look forward to seeing you very soon in the future.
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Overall, the hotel was pretty good! The staff was AWESOME and so friendly! Thank you guys for that. I was visiting from Little Rock, Ar for a family members wedding and was there for three nights. I didn't smell an odor in the lobby that others talked about, but there were weird sewer smells in the bathroom that I couldn't get rid of, it wasn't in the room though; and the rooms are very loud because of the hard wood floors (SUGGESTION: area rugs). Other than that I really enjoyed the hotel. The SLEEP NUMBER BEDS were fantastic! The beddings were comfy. The tv was a nice sized flat screen, breakfast was pretty tasty. And I was within 10 min of everything I wanted and needed to do. I'd like to come back and visit!

Room Tip: rooms with sleep number beds were great, away from the interstate (quieter)!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank 8j8
Robert H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Baton Rouge, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Radisson Baton Rouge and praising the staff at the hotel, we are very proud of their dedication and willingness to go above and beyond guests expectations. I am happy to see you enjoyed our sleep number beds and 37" flat screen TV's and thank you for your suggestions, I will be sure to pass them along for consideration. We look forward to seeing you very soon in the future and assure you of our fullest commitment to guest satisfaction.
Ruston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Used Priceline to get a 3-star motel in BR. Ha! If this is a 3-star property, then Taco Bell is fine dining. Seriously, I have stayed in other 3-star properties in BR (two different Courtyards), and this place doesn't begin to compare. Strange, strange decor: Art Deco meets Hee Haw (or Hobbiton, with cedar shake shingles sticking out of the walls?) Linoleum flooring--no carpet--in our room.

We tried to drown out the loud interstate noise by turning the HVAC system on "fan" and it sounded, at times, like a crop duster taking off. My wife's actual comment: "Is that thing going to catch on fire?" The beds were about as comfortable as army cots (and every movement produced a symphony of spring noises). Just a terrible place...in a really convenient location. Will never stay there again. Will not use Priceline again until they correct their flawed hotel rating system.

Room Tip: Your best room will be in another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 stars
On Behalf of the Radisson Baton Rouge, I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, We like to enjoy our unique design features that separate us from the corporate branded image hotels, we also take all feedback seriously and I will pass on your comments to our office for consideration. The majority of our guests enjoy that we have hardwood floors throughout all our bedrooms.
I apologize for the problems you encountered and would like to extend this opportunity for you to contact me direct at the hotel to determine your room and take care of your room issues or