“The real deal cheesesteak”
Review of South of Philly

South of Philly
Ranked #302 of 1,075 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Dining options: Delivery
Description: South of Philly offers the authentic cheese steak experience. With fresh sliced ribeye and imported Amoroso's rolls from Philly...that's just the beginning. We use fresh produce from our local farmer's market and every sandwich is cooked to order. We hand punch our fries using Idaho potatoes and fry them to perfection in cholesterol free peanut oil. We offer delivery, dine in and drive thru services.
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is about as close to an authentic Philly steak sandwich as you can get south of Philadelphia. Local magazines have written articles on just how authentic it is. Even the sign they use is almost a direct copy of a famous Philly steak restaurant in Philadelphia.

Can be expensive for a quick sandwich place, but serving sizes are very large, and the flavors are fresh.

For me, I go with the authentic Philly cheesesteak sandwich with no special toppings. But DEFINITELY try the cheez whiz if you haven't yet. Cheez whiz or Provolone is how they do it in Philly, after all.

Service can be hit or miss. They do offer a drive thru, or a call in and pick up, for those in a hurry. On multiple occasions I have had my order be misplaced, and I didn't get my meal for 30-45 minutes. Typically you get your food right away.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Their Philly cheese steaks and onion rings are THE best I've ever had! This place should be featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives!!! Wonderful comfort food at reasonable prices!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We showed up for dinner near closing time. We asked if we had time to sit and eat or should we take it to go. They said not to worry, we could sit and eat while they cleaned up. The food was great and so was the service. I highly recommend this restaurant. We visited the one in Prairieville this time but Gonzales and Baton Rouge location are also wonderful.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Even though the sign is about a a filly steak sandwich, he fries are what makes the visit worth it. The parking is not very good but the food is pretty good. You get more than you pay for and the service is quick and friendly.

Try it you will like it.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The other day my wife and I were hungry and we were looking for a nice place to eat. After a while of discussing it, she told me that in DIG magazine she read a very good review of a restaurant called "South of philly". Finally, we decided to go there and we had a fantastic experience.
On the outside, the restaurant does not look very attractive, but don't let that facade break your enthusiasm. We ordered two philly steak sandwiches and I believe this are the best sandwiches I have tried in baton rouge and believe me, although I love Po-boys, this sub is simply fantastic. On the side, we ordered some delicious onion ring; which came in a big portion, crunchy and very tasty. I really believe a portion will be enough to feed three people. Nevertheless, they have to pay a little more attention to deliver the onion rings a little more de-greased and dryer.
They have free refills and finally you can bring your family to this sandwich joint in Baton Rouge.

Been to South of Philly? Share your experiences!